[comp.graphics] Looking for Lighting Simulation packages

green@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK (Stuart Green ) (05/17/89)

I'm looking for references to any commercial systems for lighting simulation
which use radiosity and/or ray tracing techniques to compute global
illumination.  I'm familiar with the work on radiosity at Cornell and other
places, but is anyone producing systems which use these algorithms, or are
they precluded by their computational complexity on currently available
hardware ?  If they are being used, then what applications are being
targetted, and what hardware is suitable ?  In particular, has anyone looked
at performing radiosity computations on parallel processors ?

Thanks in advance for any responses; I will summarise and post to the net
if there is sufficient interest.

Stuart.

Stuart Green (Postgraduate)        |
Department of Computer Science     | JANET: green@uk.ac.bristol.cs
University of Bristol              |
Queen's Building                   | UUCP:  ...!ukc!csisles!green
University Walk                    |
Bristol.  BS8 1TR                  | ARPA:  green@cs.bristol.ac.uk
ENGLAND.                           |

hucaby@ms.uky.edu (Dave Hucaby) (05/24/89)

In article <836@csisles.Bristol.AC.UK> green@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK () writes:

>I'm looking for references to any commercial systems for lighting simulation
>which use radiosity or ray tracing techniques to compute global illumination.

Good timing! The May 1989 issue of IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications
has a very good article about Akira Fujimoto and his work with photorealistic
rendering and particularly his company's lighting simulation system.
Look on pages 4-10 for the interview and some good pictures.

   _________                     Dave Hucaby, Biomedical Image Processing
       /    \  _        ____     University of Kentucky
      /     / /_\ \  / /___      Wenner-Gren Research Lab
_____/_____/ /   \ \/ /___       Lexington, Kentucky  40506-0070
      hucaby@image.uky.edu       (606)-257-3040