[comp.graphics] Steel colors

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/23/89)

I've noticed that when I look closely at reasonably clean bare steel in good
sunlight that it appears to have a very fine grain of colors.

What is this due to?  Is it an artifact of vision or does the steel actually
have all those speckled colors?
--
Jim Prior    jep@oink    osu-cis!n8emr!oink!jep    N8KSM

jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (James Wilbur Lewis) (05/24/89)

In article <31@oink.UUCP> jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
>I've noticed that when I look closely at reasonably clean bare steel in good
>sunlight that it appears to have a very fine grain of colors.
>
>What is this due to?

Probably a diffraction-grating type effect due to scratches, roughness, or
possibly crystalline structure at the surface.

I've heard that a similar phenomenon is responsible for iridescent blue
coloring of certain kinds of birds...there's not actually a pigment of
that color, but the fine structure of the feathers makes the reflected light
look bluish.

-- Jim Lewis
   U.C. Berkeley

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (05/24/89)

In article <29298@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jwl@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:
>In article <31@oink.UUCP> jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) writes:
>>I've noticed that when I look closely at reasonably clean bare steel in good
>>sunlight that it appears to have a very fine grain of colors.
>>
>>What is this due to?
>
>Probably a diffraction-grating type effect due to scratches, roughness, or
>possibly crystalline structure at the surface.

Funny you should mention this.  I was sitting with my officemate,
George Michael, he says Hi Kelly, and we were talking about stuff
and he brought up the subject of polish.  He said there were people
at Livenomore who were researching the issue of polish for big mirrors,
but that polish really isn't well understood, still open interesting
physical science questions.  Polish consists of minute "scratches"
which have a set of interesting properties.  You can probably to them
and get TRs on the topic.  Polish is more than irradesence.

Also, since somebody asked, the date on the Science article by Greenberg
on Light reflection models for graphics is 14 April 1989, page 166.
It will provide simple models for this type of stuff.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.