[comp.graphics] X-rated GIF files

steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) (05/14/89)

Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?  I've already
combed the following hosts.  I'm sure that compuserve has tons of GIFS,
although I wouldn't know about X-rated ones.  In any case, I'm looking
for sources that won't cost me any money :-), so any BBS is out.

	grape.ecs.clarkson.edu	128.153.13.196
	hubcap.clemson.edu	192.5.219.1
	ix1.cc.utexas.edu	128.8.83.1.21
	ix2.cc.utexas.edu	128.8.83.1.29
	simtel20.army.mil	26.2.0.74
	ssyx.ucsc.edu		128.114.133.1
	sumex.stanford.edu	36.44.0.6
	surya.waterloo.edu	129.97.129.72
	umn-cs.cs.umn.edu	128.101.224.1
	uxe.cso.uiuc.edu	128.174.5.54

Thanks in advance.
Scott.

arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard) (05/15/89)

In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?

Get lost.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (05/17/89)

From article <6138@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, by arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard):
> In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?
>
> Get lost.

Seconded.

svpillay@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) (05/17/89)

In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?

Yes.

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (05/17/89)

In article <283@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <6138@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, by arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard):
>> In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
>>>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?
>>
>> Get lost.
>
>Seconded.

What is this, a convention of puritans?  The inquisition?  There are two sides
to pornography, and if it happens to offend you, nobody says you have to see
it!  I'm quite shocked to see a system as <usually> open-minded as the net
cluttered with COMPLETELY useless and inappropriate insults.

When I originally saw this posting, *I* ignored it because "X-rated" is boring,
XX or XXX is more to MY taste.  But I see that there are people of quite
opposite viewpoints who feel the need to blast their trite, most likely
hypocritical insults at a simple, straightforward posting...

The reason I'm bothering to post is because I would also appreciate references
to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If
pornography offends you, THIS newsgroup isn't the place to discuss it!

... Ben Discoe, starving tech student and endangered liberal at large.

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (05/18/89)

In article <10707@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:

> >> Get lost.

> >Seconded.

> What is this, a convention of puritans?  The inquisition?  There are two sides
> to pornography, and if it happens to offend you, nobody says you have to see
> it!  I'm quite shocked to see a system as <usually> open-minded as the net
> cluttered with COMPLETELY useless and inappropriate insults.

The objection is not to pornography, it's to posting this on
comp.graphics. If you want pornography, post to talk.bizzare.

***** Please note ***** This is not cross posted to
talk.bizarre. They (the bizzarites) tend to cross post a lot and we
don't need it.

> When I originally saw this posting, *I* ignored it because "X-rated" is boring,
> XX or XXX is more to MY taste.  But I see that there are people of quite
> opposite viewpoints who feel the need to blast their trite, most likely
> hypocritical insults at a simple, straightforward posting...

XXX has actually gotten somewhat boring -- maybe I've just seen more of
it than you have.

> The reason I'm bothering to post is because I would also appreciate references
> to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If
> pornography offends you, THIS newsgroup isn't the place to discuss it!

If you get any, post a summary somewhere else.

> ... Ben Discoe, starving tech student and endangered liberal at large.

If you didn't spend so much on porn, you might not be starving.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi

I believe in absolute freedom of the press.
        Pax Probiscus!  Sturgeon's Law (Revised): 98.89%
        of everything is drek (1.11% is peanut butter).
        Rarely able to send an email reply sucessfully.
        The opinions expressed here are not necessarily
Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (05/18/89)

In article <8457@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, svpillay@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) writes:
> In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
> >Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?

About a year ago I started using GIF files as sources for images for my
Targa 16 card (converted using the GIF2TGA program).  I noticed that not
only did people not give a damn about copyright laws (it seems anything that
can be shoved into a scanner is out there) but there was/is a predominant
amount of X-rated stuff out there.  Well, within the last few months I have
noticed a lot of these GIF and PCX boards have become pay-for-the-good-stuff
only boards.  Once free BBSs have realized that 14 year olds with sweaty
palms will pay fees ($5/hour, $25/month, $100/year, ect.) to have unlimited
downloading privilages of visual material that they are not legally old
enough yet to buy.  Many of these BBS SysOps have actually invested money in
the equipment necessary to create such images--only a few of them being
law-abiding enough to use uncopyrighted and public domain material though.

The answer is "yes", there are many sources on BBSs for X rated GIF files.
But, there are very few of these types of BBSs that are still free of
charge.

--

	jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA

	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier

willa@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (----- Will Allen -----) (05/18/89)

Things with an X in their names are rarely free.

. . .Will

seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel) (05/18/89)

In article <10707@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
]In article <283@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
]>From article <6138@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, by arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard):
]>> In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
]>>>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?
]>>
]>> Get lost.
]>
]>Seconded.
]
]What is this, a convention of puritans?  The inquisition?  There are two sides
]to pornography, and if it happens to offend you, nobody says you have to see
]it!  I'm quite shocked to see a system as <usually> open-minded as the net
]cluttered with COMPLETELY useless and inappropriate insults.

COMPLETELY useless?  hardly.  A lot of people are *insulted* by pornography.
I think both responses were at least as appropriate as the original posting.
At least we're discussing it now...

]When I originally saw this posting, *I* ignored it because "X-rated" is boring,
]XX or XXX is more to MY taste.  But I see that there are people of quite
]opposite viewpoints who feel the need to blast their trite, most likely
]hypocritical insults at a simple, straightforward posting...

Wow.  I didn't know there was a classification scheme.  Is this an ANSI
standard?   Seriously, we need to be a little careful about what we do
on the net -  You may recall that a fairly benign joke in rec.humor.funny
precipited a national flap in which the press was referring to a "racist
database"   Think what a field day they would have with this.  "Taxpayers
money supports world-wide child-porn network!"

]The reason I'm bothering to post is because I would also appreciate references
]to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If
]pornography offends you, THIS newsgroup isn't the place to discuss it!

Yeah, and THIS newsgroup isn't the place to go looking for it, either.

]... Ben Discoe, starving tech student and endangered liberal at large.

liberal?  don't you mean libertarian?

George Seibel, UCSF

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (05/18/89)

In article <283@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
|From article <6138@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, by arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard):
|> In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
|>>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?
|>
|> Get lost.
|
|Seconded.

	Hey there, blow it out yer pixel.
	Nothing wrong with X-rated stuff;
	you don't need to make judgements
	or be so snarky...

Humph,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (05/18/89)

In article <1351@lzfme.att.com> jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:
>In article <10707@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
>> What is this, a convention of puritans?  The inquisition?  There are two sides
>> to pornography, and if it happens to offend you, nobody says you have to see
>> it!  I'm quite shocked to see a system as <usually> open-minded as the net
>> cluttered with COMPLETELY useless and inappropriate insults.
>
>The objection is not to pornography, it's to posting this on
>comp.graphics. If you want pornography, post to talk.bizzare.

	Lemme guess: you've made a bet with someone about how many silly
things you can say in one short sentence, and the sentence above is your
masterpiece?
	First off, talk.bizarre has nothing to do with porn. You want
porn, go to alt.sex. Second, the original posting was a simple request
for information, "where can I find X-rated GIFs on the wire?" That's
neither more nor less appropriate to this newsgroup than "where can I
find Star Trek pics to download". What's inappropriate here are moral
pronouncements; there are other newsgroups for that.

>> The reason I'm bothering to post is because I would also appreciate references
>> to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If
>> pornography offends you, THIS newsgroup isn't the place to discuss it!
>
>If you get any, post a summary somewhere else.

	I disagree, and object. I urge the original poster to post a
summary of any information he gets.

>> ... Ben Discoe, starving tech student and endangered liberal at large.
>
>If you didn't spend so much on porn, you might not be starving.

	There are also other newsgroup for cheap shots.

-  QQQCLC  -                                    Kenn Barry
ELECTRIC AVENUE:		{most major sites}!ames!eos!barry
           ARPA:                           barry@eos.arc.nasa.gov

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) (05/18/89)

In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu>, steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
> Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?  I've already

Maybe you should try alt.sex.

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.

--
Ray E. Saddler III       |    __  __ __       __ |          UseNet
Boeing Aerospace         |   / / / //   //| //   | uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ray3rd

In article <283@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
 >From article <6138@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, by arnold@ux.cs.man.ac.uk (Toby Howard):
 >> In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu> steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
 >>>Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?
 >>
 >> Get lost.
 >
 >Seconded.

Prudes...
Try some local BBS's. Most are 'R' rated though. ;-)

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
[not for RHF] |          sparks@corpane.UUCP         | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (05/19/89)

In article <11609@cgl.ucsf.EDU>, seibel@cgl.ucsf.edu (George Seibel) writes:
> In article <10707@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
> ]When I originally saw this posting, *I* ignored it because "X-rated" is boring,
> ]XX or XXX is more to MY taste.
>
> Wow.  I didn't know there was a classification scheme.  Is this an ANSI
> standard?

The XX and the XXX ratings are strictly an invention of the porn
movie industry to try and generate more excitement.  The difference
between X and XXX is determined by marketing hype, not by any type
of review and rating system.  Obviously it works in some cases.  :-)

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

ps  I hope I got the right people associated with the right quotes
above.  The article was getting a little messy and I might have
messed up.  My apologies if I did.

bryden@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Christopher F. Bryden) (05/19/89)

In article barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
}In article jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:
}>In article bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
}>The objection is not to pornography, it's to posting this on
}>comp.graphics. If you want pornography, post to talk.bizzare.

Um, I think that the people in talk.bizzare just got insulted.
But, that's alright they're used to it.

}	First off, talk.bizarre has nothing to do with porn. You want
}porn, go to alt.sex. Second, the original posting was a simple request

Um, I think the people who post to alt.sex just got insulted.  Actually,
they were probably amazed at Jim (*cough*) Winer's ability to insult his
own intelligence.  Definitions of what is pornographic vary ; apparently
the world's definitions revolve around Jim.

OK, call for a new news group comp.graphics.questionable.requests

}for information, "where can I find X-rated GIFs on the wire?" That's
}neither more nor less appropriate to this newsgroup than "where can I
}find Star Trek pics to download". What's inappropriate here are moral
}pronouncements; there are other newsgroups for that.

Oh, say like, misc.wanted?  The star trek request would have meet less
resistance... infact, people might have been obliged to respond to that
request.  Some people feel that, in a very stylized way, star trek is
pornographic.  ...ying yang black is white and white is back... let's
strike a deal : I won't shove my moral definitions down your throat and
in return, you won't shove your moral definitions down mine.

}>> pornography offends you, THIS newsgroup isn't the place to discuss it!
}	There are also other newsgroup for cheap shots.

Oh, you mean like alt.flame!  Don't get the idea that this is a cheap shot
just because I'm posting this there.  This converstion really has no relivance
to comp.graphics, and one of the best ways to get an unwanted topic out of
a news group is to cross post.

Chris
--
arpa  : bryden@vax1.acs.udel.edu |        In the land of the blind,
bitnet: akr05167 at ACSVM        |        the one eyed man is king.

misha@aeras.UUCP (Michael Umansky) (05/19/89)

>to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If

Oh, Yes, Yes!  Enlighten me too of location of any X, XX, XXX, XX...X GIF files!
Thanks, fellow perverts! (spel?)
misha
--
NAME:	Michael Umansky (sun!aeras!foxy!misha)
WORK:	Arix Corp.;  821 Fox Lane;  San Jose, CA  95131

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (05/19/89)

>> >Seconded.
>
>> What is this, a convention of puritans?  The inquisition?  There are two sides
>> to pornography, and if it happens to offend you, nobody says you have to see
>> it!  I'm quite shocked to see a system as <usually> open-minded as the net
>> cluttered with COMPLETELY useless and inappropriate insults.
>
>The objection is not to pornography, it's to posting this on
>comp.graphics. If you want pornography, post to talk.bizzare.
>
>***** Please note ***** This is not cross posted to
>talk.bizarre. They (the bizzarites) tend to cross post a lot and we
>don't need it.

I understand there are some pictures of Jim Winer doing some very
curious things with common household appliances that could best be
described as ``X-rated'' on the ftp host at Old Dominion University
in Norfolk.

--
                    ``So little time, so many watches''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) (05/19/89)

In article <2659@ssc-vax.UUCP> ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) writes:
>In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu>, steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
>> Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?  I've already
>
>Maybe you should try alt.sex.

I was the poster of the "inquisition" article and I've been really amazed at
the flood of email and followups I've received.  results:

1.  Many encouraging or clear-thinking views.
2.  Two mindless flames.
3.  Several reminders that compu-porn is now mostly on BBSs that CHARGE MONEY.
4.  A threatening? reminder that my newsfeed is apparently granted by someone
    who may not like it used for sending porn gif's around.
5.  NO useful tips on where such material might exist.  We don't get alt.sex.

(And I thought it would be a simple, comp.graphics type request. sheesh.)
Ben Discoe, your average starving tech student

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (05/19/89)

>What is this, a convention of puritans?  The inquisition?

	A different side to this is that some of the most challenging
	images for certain types of processing are the X-rated (or R-rated)
	sort.  For color quantization, they're more likely to have a large
	number of colors that need to be reproduced at high resolution
	in a relatively restricted volume of RGB space; these tend to be
	flesh tones in areas with a lighting density gradient.

	Another case, the one where I noticed this "value" of pinups
	& such, is in translating dithered monochrome images to
	grayscale.  The challenge here is to distinguish between
	dithered density gradients and features such as lines and
	edges that need to be retained at high contrast.

	To put it a different way by analogy to languages, images
	have both syntactic and semantic content.  There are some
	that have valuable syntactic content even though their
	semantic value is at best debatable.  Of course there are
	many with no particular value of either sort.

	As long as some significant fraction of viewers would be
	offended by accidentally viewing a given image, I believe it's
	appropriate to keep that image out of publicly accessible
	collections where they might encounter it.  Perhaps we should
	have different pools of images with X/R/G ratings advertised
	in advance.

	As for my personal view, it depends on the image.  My scale
	for acquired images runs about like this:

	    XXX		Yuch (call it porn) -- Deleted
	    XX		Distasteful, no "syntactic" value -- Deleted
	    X		Distasteful, but kept for algorithm testing
	    R		Sometimes mediocre to poor & deleted,
			Sometimes cute or artful or otherwise nice & kept;
			If marginally valuable, usually deleted.
	    G		Sometimes mediocre to poor & deleted,
			Sometimes valuable & kept.
			If marginally valuable, usually kept

	However, whatever's kept in the R & X classes is kept privately.
	The kept G images go into the image collection that's publicly
	available via venera.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

bryden@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Christopher F. Bryden) (05/20/89)

We have a public sun lab that has acquired many images.  Most of the images
are non-offensive to most people.  These images are keept where everyone
can have access to them.  Images that might be offensive to the "resonable
person" have been put in a directory that is executable but unreadable.
all the files in that directory are readable.  If a users want to see what
is in that directory, they must ask the person who maintains the images for
a list of the files in that direcotry.  Everyone is requested to clear their
console when they leave.  Its a very simple system and it works.

I have made two realizations.  Clasification schemes, for determining what is
offensive and what is not, fail.  Censorship of what images people can displayed
only encourages people to display those images.

A short personal note boardering on a flame :
Thomas, open minds are necessary to discuss matters like this.  If you don't
have an open mind, plase stay out of the discussion.

A short disclaimer here :
My opinions do not represent the opinions of ACIT, the CIS department or the
University of Delaware.

Chris
--

clarke@arnor.UUCP (Ed Clarkee/20480000;07-033,2630) (05/20/89)

From article <319@aeras.UUCP>, by misha@aeras.UUCP (Michael Umansky):
--to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If
- Oh,Yes,Yes! Enlighten me too of location of any X, XX, XXX, XX...X GIF files!
- Thanks, fellow perverts! (spel?)

It's interesting to see that nobody has been dumb enough to admit to
actually having X etc. GIF files for anonymous FTP.  Can you imagine
the headlines in the news papers?  Remember what happened to Looking
Funny after that Jewish Ventriloquist joke??

Actually, it'd be kind of fun to watch ... as long as nobody from MY
site does it.
+==============================+======================================+
| Ed Clarke                    | Consume waste products, you unclean  |
| CLARKE at YKTVMZ             | offspring of unwed parental units!   |
| uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke | ** Translation from 'Illegal Aliens' |
+==============================+======================================+

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/20/89)

> The objection is not to pornography, it's to posting this on
> comp.graphics. If you want pornography, post to talk.bizzare.

Wrong.

If I had X-rated GIF files, I would not be any more likely to be reading
talk.bizzare because of it.  That is not the place to ask for exchange of
data.

> > The reason I'm bothering to post is because I would also appreciate references
> > to pornographic GIF files, anon ftp of course, better quality preferred.  If
> > pornography offends you, THIS newsgroup isn't the place to discuss it!
>
> If you get any, post a summary somewhere else.

If you post somewhere that is not universally distributed, then please
cross post here.  If it is universally distributed, then would you please
post a pointer to what newsgroup you do post on.  I for one don't mind it
being posted here.

I don't recall the name of this group being comp.graphics.puritan, but
rather just comp.graphics.  Can we please stick to the subject, which is
comp.graphics.*

--phil

markk@sigma.UUCP (Mark Kimmerly) (05/20/89)

In article <15929@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1351@lzfme.att.com> (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:
>>
>>The objection is not to pornography, it's to posting this on
>>comp.graphics. If you want pornography, post to talk.bizzare.
>>
>>***** Please note ***** This is not cross posted to
>>talk.bizarre. They (the bizzarites) tend to cross post a lot and we
>>don't need it.
>
>I understand there are some pictures of Jim Winer doing some very
>curious things with common household appliances that could best be
>described as ``X-rated'' on the ftp host at Old Dominion University
>in Norfolk.

Really?  Are there any involving kitchen
utensils?  How about plumbing tools?  I
would be very interested in them if they
involved plumbing tools.  Especially pipe
wrenches.

I was told that if you want plumbing tools,
you should post to comp.graphics.

I was also told that they (the graphites)
tend to pass their spare time jamming toilets
with paper towels so they'll overflow.
--
Markk
(professional smart-ass)

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (05/21/89)

In article <15929@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I understand there are some pictures of Jim Winer doing some very
>curious things with common household appliances that could best be
>described as ``X-rated'' on the ftp host at Old Dominion University
>in Norfolk.

While most people probably already disregard many of Richard's
postings as folly, I want to point out that there are, to the best of
my knowledge, no ``X-rated'' (whatever that is) pictures available via
anonymous ftp from any Computer Science machine at ODU.  I don't think
there are even any GIF files available unless they appeared in one of
the sources groups archived here.

	...tad

ericl@masscomp.UUCP (Eric Law) (05/22/89)

In regards to the masses of wasted text coming down the line (porn):

Gee, It appears that it's time to press that old 'u' button while in readnews.

But before I do, I'd seriously like to know where else on the net there is
still a newsgroup with decent technical content in regards to computer
graphics?  WAS this the only one?
           ^^^

-Eric S. Law

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/23/89)

In the absence of comp.graphics.technical, then comp.graphics will have to do.

steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) (05/25/89)

In article <10731@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, bdiscoe@tybalt.caltech.edu (Ben W. Discoe) writes:
> In article <2659@ssc-vax.UUCP> ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) writes:
>>In article <1380@zeus.unl.edu>, steimle@zeus.unl.edu (Scott A.) writes:
>>> Does anyone know of any sources for X-rated GIF files?  I've already
>>
> I was the poster of the "inquisition" article and I've been really amazed at
> the flood of email and followups I've received.  results:

On the contrary, I am the original poster.  Why would you want to stand in
front of a flame thrower if not necessary, anyway?

After being away from the net for a few weeks, I logged on today and was
amazed at the censorship, immaturity, and puritan views that have been
flowing through this newsgroup.  I submitted a simple, nonoffensive request.

Yes, the list below does reflect most of the results besides a useless waste
of bandwidth generated from a one paragraph inquirey.

> 1.  Many encouraging or clear-thinking views.

Mostly those defending my request within this newsgroup.  Thanks to those
who did.

> 2.  Two mindless flames.

One, actually.

> 3.  Several reminders that compu-porn is now mostly on BBSs that CHARGE MONEY.

I received a few mail messages informing me of some BBS, yes.

> 4.  A threatening? reminder that my newsfeed is apparently granted by someone
>     who may not like it used for sending porn gif's around.

Many postings about pornography in comp.graphics from the net.cops and
net.puritans.  And awfully amusing, at that.

> 5.  NO useful tips on where such material might exist.  We don't get alt.sex.

Sad, but true.

  6.  Many mail messages from people admitting to searching for X-rated
      GIFs as well, and wondering of my progress and responses.  Most probably
      because they were scared to be flamed to death replying to a graphics
      picture request in a graphics newsgroup.

> (And I thought it would be a simple, comp.graphics type request. sheesh.)
> Ben Discoe, your average starving tech student

As did I, Ben.  By the way, do you have a split personality?  That you know
of, that is...

A couple of points to make, reflecting on the bullshit I read:

1)  Talk.bizzar has nothing to do pornography or pornographic images.
2)  Alt.sex would be a likely candidate, however, most people prefer to
    talk about SEX, not about where to find images with others engaged in it.
3)  Comp.graphics was my pick, since I was requesting sources of
    GRAPHICAL IMAGES from a COMPUTER GRAPHICS newsgroup.  If anyone was
    offended, they could have refrained from wasting bandwith by stifling thier
    fingers.  Or they could have stuck them up their assholes for all I care.
    Now you have reason to be offended...

Scott.