[comp.graphics] Appropriate messages

mae@vygr.Sun.COM (Mike Ekberg, Sun {GPD-LEGO}) (05/25/89)

In article <8625@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mplevine@phoenix.Princeton.EDU                (Marshall P. Levine) writes:

>Let's stick to computer graphics!

Isn't that one of the problems w/ porn {:->).

Seriously, tho, I much prefer the postings on moral implications
of c.g. then the endless requests for converting
from TIFF -> SPIFF, or whatever.

For the budding Ray Tracers out there, I recommend getting a
a hold of the SIGGRAPH course notes, "Introduction to Ray Tracing",
or better yet, attending the class in Boston this year.

The notes I have for the '87 course includes a "Ray Tracing Bibliography"
by Paul Heckbert.

You might want to look at "A Reflection Model for Computer Graphics"
Cook and Torrance, ACM Trans. Gr. 1,1(Jan. 1982) 7-24.

# mike (sun!mae), M/S 8-04
"The people are the water, the army are the fish" Mao Tse-tung

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/25/89)

In article <106593@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> mae@sun.UUCP (Mike Ekberg, Sun {GPD-LEGO}) writes:
>Seriously, tho, I much prefer the postings on moral implications
>of c.g. then the endless requests for converting
>from TIFF -> SPIFF, or whatever.

Also note that this supposedly inappropriate porn discussion quickly
degenerated into a technical discussion about median cut variants.
Undisciplined group that we are, we can't seem to concentrate on sex
but instead start daydreaming about lurid programming issues.

The key insight here is that serendipity can arise from any discussion;
trying to keep a tight focus all the time simply leads to eyestrain.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Welcome to Mars; now go home!" (Seen on a bumper sticker off Phobos)