[comp.graphics] Car data files

I'd like any reasonable format datafiles of a VW Beetle, while we're asking.
A description of the format would help if it's not obvious.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/23/89)

In article <4253@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I'd like any reasonable format datafiles of a VW Beetle, while we're asking.

Get lost, you perverted bug-lover! (Just kidding! :-)

As far as I know, the first time a Bug was digitized was in the 60's by
Ivan Sutherland and his whole family, spending the day out in their driveway
with calipers [private communication from J.Sutherland]. Which just goes
to show that computer graphics is a good clean wholesome subject for the
whole family to enjoy.

If nowhere else, I'm sure that Bug data is still floating around U. Utah.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) (05/23/89)

In article <324@xdos.UUCP>, doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
> In article <4253@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >I'd like any reasonable format datafiles of a VW Beetle, while we're asking.
>
> If nowhere else, I'm sure that Bug data is still floating around U. Utah.

I recall seeing a cute bit of software demo's on Silicon Graphics
and Sun machines at Uniforum '89.  I wish I could recall the
software they were demonstating, does anybody who attended remember?

The demo's used a Beetle body shell (no interior or wheel/steering
assemblies), and dazzled the passers-by with lightsource and
realtime freespace rotation/zoom/pan/scroll/etc.

Wish I had more to offer!
--
Ray E. Saddler III       |    __  __ __       __ |          UseNet
Boeing Aerospace         |   / / / //   //| //   | uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ray3rd

ray@chocktaw.cis.ohio-state.edu (william c ray) (05/23/89)

If you take a look on albanycs.albany.edu  pub/graphics/objects
I think you'll find a file vw.database, containing a polygon description
on 1/2 a volkswagon
format
pt P#, x, y, z,
.
.
.
pt P#n, x, y, z,

poly #, pt#, pt#, pt#,... etc
.
.
.
poly #n, pt#, pt#.....etc

fairly simple to convert into anything you desire.

(you have to mirror the 1/2 to get the other side)

if it isn't there, I have the files and can email them.
(fairly certain it's there.. think is also on utah,
but don't remember the address)

                               Gravity doesn't exist..
                                the Earth sucks....
Will Ray
ray@cis.ohio-state.edu

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (05/24/89)

In article <2675@ssc-vax.UUCP> ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) writes:
>I recall seeing a cute bit of software demo's on Silicon Graphics
>and Sun machines at Uniforum '89.  I wish I could recall the
>software they were demonstating, does anybody who attended remember?
>
>The demo's used a Beetle body shell (no interior or wheel/steering
>assemblies), and dazzled the passers-by with lightsource and
>realtime freespace rotation/zoom/pan/scroll/etc.

   Last week I saw this demo on a Silicon Graphics Personal Iris.
  It is part of their demo suite.

   Back to cars: I grabbed a bunch of data files from albany. Now
 can someone please tell me where to find descriptions of
 "CAD 3D binary format", and "off" formats I found there?
 Email the locations/descriptions, and I will summarize to the net.

  - mark

everson@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK (Phill Everson ) (05/26/89)

From article <2675@ssc-vax.UUCP>, by ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III):
> I recall seeing a cute bit of software demo's on Silicon Graphics
> and Sun machines at Uniforum '89.  I wish I could recall the
> software they were demonstating, does anybody who attended remember?

At a rough guess this was the Sun TAAC demo program qwikvu together with the
VW beetle shell data that comes with the demo. I'd offer to post it, but I
am unsure as to whether Sun would be too happy about it.

Phill Everson
Medical Imaging
Dept Comp Sci
University of Bristol, UK