[comp.graphics] Info on light difraction

cadcam@inesc.UUCP ( Mario Rui Gomes) (05/29/89)

In the light models that I know of, the only processes of interaction
between light and matter are the reflection and refraction.

What happened to the difraction?

Has anyone, out there, knowledge of any work, or paper, about this subject ?

Thanks...

Manuel Gamito				mcvax!inesc!alf!mag

    The recognition of ignorance is the first step towards wisdom.
	Viviane to Morgaine in 'The mists of Avalon'

djs@mit-amt (David J. Sturman) (05/30/89)

In article <855@inesc.UUCP> cadcam@inesc.UUCP ( Mario Rui Gomes) writes:

>In the light models that I know of, the only processes of interaction
>between light and matter are the reflection and refraction.
>
>What happened to the difraction?
>
>Has anyone, out there, knowledge of any work, or paper, about this subject ?

Look at
	Potmesil, Michael and Chakravarty, Indranil.  "A Lens and Aperture
	Camera Model for Synthetic Image Generation."  Computer Graphics
	15.3 (Proceedings SIGGRAPH August 1981). pp 297-305

	or

	Potmesil, Michael and Chakravarty, Indranil.  "Synthetic Image
	Generation with Lens and Aperture Model."  ACM Transactions on Graphics
	1.2 April 1982 pp 85-108

The second is a slightly longer version of the first.  They describe
a method of simulating diffraction through a circular aperture.  The paper
is interesting and the method is feasible.  For a clearer understanding it
should be supplemented by a good optics text like Hecht and Zajac or
Born and Wolf.  Although P&C claim that diffraction effects are
important and change the contrast of the final image, they do not
demonstrate it.  Some studies here at the Media Lab by Alex Petland and
also by Michael Bove seem to indicate that although diffraction of
monochromatic light may affect the image, diffraction of polychromatic
light has little effect (aside from depth of field effects).  This has to
do with the cancelling effect of the different wavelengths.  However,
I have yet to see images with and without diffraction effects.  We may
try it out over the summer.

I would add that only diffraction from the lens aperture has been
modelled and diffraction from partially obscuring objects in the scene
has not.

David Sturman
Computer Graphics and Animation Group
MIT Media Lab