[comp.graphics] Turbulence

ray@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (william c ray) (06/01/89)

I know this is a little off of the beaten (ray-tracer) path for this group, but
has anyone out there done any work with graphical simulations of turbulence?
Im trying to come up with a model for convection and convective erosion of
a density gradient in a fluid, and was hoping that a good turbulence model
might be somewhat enlightening in terms of how to apply random perturbations,
or some such.  (no this doesn't belong on Sci.boring, I am interested in
making pretty pictures of the phenomenon, sort of like shadowgraphs, not
simply a mathematical 1d formula)

thanx for any info...
Will
ray@cis.ohio-state.edu

BTW, if anyone requested VW Beetle car files from me, and hasn't gotten them,
please let me know, my mailer threw up on someones return address, and I'm
not sure if what I sent got where it was supposed to or not.

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (06/01/89)

In article <50540@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> william c ray <ray@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I know this is a little off of the beaten (ray-tracer) path for this group, but
>has anyone out there done any work with graphical simulations of turbulence?
>Im trying to come up with a model for convection and convective erosion of
>
>ray@cis.ohio-state.edu

   See "An Image Synthesiser", by Ken Perlin, in Computer Graphics,
   Volume 19, no. 3. pp. 152-161. (1985 SIGGRAPH conference proceedings)

 - mark

cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Carl Ellison) (06/02/89)

In article <3357@kalliope.rice.edu>, foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:
>    See "An Image Synthesiser", by Ken Perlin, in Computer Graphics,
>    Volume 19, no. 3. pp. 152-161. (1985 SIGGRAPH conference proceedings)

It's on pp. 287-296 in my copy of the proceedings.

--Carl Ellison                      UUCP::  cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM
SNail:: Stratus Computer; 55 Fairbanks Blvd.; Marlborough MA 01752
Disclaimer::  (of course)

devroede@adobe.COM (Pete deVroede) (06/03/89)

In article <5405@cloud9.Stratus.COM> cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Carl Ellison) writes:
>In article <3357@kalliope.rice.edu>, foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:
>>    See "An Image Synthesiser", by Ken Perlin, in Computer Graphics,
>>    Volume 19, no. 3. pp. 152-161. (1985 SIGGRAPH conference proceedings)

There was also some work by the people at Digital Productions on the
subject. The only author I remember is Larry Yeager (hi Larry!) and
I think it was in SIGGRAPH '86 or '87. It dealt mainly with the algo-
rythm used for the simulation of Jupiter for the movie "2010". I haven't
read it for a while, but I don't think Perlin's paper actually talks
about *animating* the turbulence. Larry's does. (I might be wrong
about Perlin's though).

--
| Information is a parody of knowledge.        Peter J. deVroede |
| Knowledge is a parody of wisdom.       decwrl\! adobe!devroede |

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (06/03/89)

<
<There was also some work by the people at Digital Productions on the
<subject. The only author I remember is Larry Yeager (hi Larry!) and
<I think it was in SIGGRAPH '86 or '87. It dealt mainly with the algo-
<rythm used for the simulation of Jupiter for the movie "2010". I haven't

Craig Upson did a lot of work on that, too.  He's now at Stellar
Computer.  (Hi Craig!)  I think he might have been a collaborator with
Yeager but I can't say for certain.  All of my SIGGRAPH proceedings are
still packed away from my move.  If anyone is desparate for the
references, EMAIL me privately and I'll play 3 card monte with my box
collection until I find them.  :-)

--
							spl
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl@ncsc.org

foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) (06/05/89)

In article <4626@alvin.mcnc.org> spl@mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:
>In article <889@adobe.UUCP> devroede@adobe.UUCP (Pete deVroede) writes:
><In article <5405@cloud9.Stratus.COM> cme@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Carl Ellison) writes:
><>In article <3357@kalliope.rice.edu>, foo@titan.rice.edu (Mark Hall) writes:
><>>    See "An Image Synthesiser", by Ken Perlin, in Computer Graphics,
><>>    Volume 19, no. 3. pp. 152-161. (1985 SIGGRAPH conference proceedings)
><
><There was also some work by the people at Digital Productions on the
><subject. The only author I remember is Larry Yeager (hi Larry!) and
><I think it was in SIGGRAPH '86 or '87. It dealt mainly with the algo-
><rythm used for the simulation of Jupiter for the movie "2010". I haven't

   The reference is (Perhaps with correct page numbers this time ;^)

Yaeger, Larry,  Upson, Craig, and Myers, Robert, (1986),
``Combining Physical and Visual Simulation -
    Creation of the Planet Jupiter for the Film "2010"'',
{\em Computer Graphics}, Volume 20, No. 4, pp. 85-93.

- mark

silva@c3.PLA.CA.US (Joe Silva) (06/09/89)

Try looking into Cellular Automata Simulations of Turbulance...

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (06/10/89)

In article <134@c3.PLA.CA.US> silva@c3.UUCP (Joe Silva) writes:
>Try looking into Cellular Automata Simulations of Turbulance...

Be warned that much of the work in this area IS NOT going into CA.

Depends is you want to draw simple pictures or understand science.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.