[comp.graphics] Graphics Interchange Utilities

wesf@watdcsu.waterloo.edu ( FROM W - COMPUTING SERVICES ) (06/15/89)

      Greetings.  I am trying to assemble a set of utilities to convert
from most of the major PC Graphics protocols (e.g. DIF, GIF, PIC, CGM,
TIFF, IGES, + another 40 or so) to some "standard" format.  As no de facto
standard really exists, I will probably end up using CGM, IGES, or TIFF or
all three as the target for Graphics Data conversion.  Eventually, the
standardized data will be uploaded to a UNIX system and sent to one of a
variety of printers.

      First, if anyone knows of/has experience with utilities of this nature
I would be very interested to hear from you.  Also, I am specifically
interested if any of you have used HP Graphics Gallery or Micrografx
Convert +, and your evaluation of them.  Secondly, as I am rather new at
this I would appreciate any advice from those of you who are doing similar
things.

     I would appreciate any information you can send me via E-mail.  Thank
you in advance...

					Wes From
					Department of Computing Services
					University of Waterloo
					wesf@watdcsu.waterloo.edu

sabo@foobar.hf.intel.com (Roger Sabo) (06/17/89)

I too would like help converting/reading different graphics formats, GIF
in particular.  Any help would be greatly appricicated!  If possible
please send C source, but any comments/suggestions would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance

In article <6021@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> wesf@watdcsu.waterloo.edu ( FROM W    - COMPUTING SERVICES    ) writes:

>      Greetings.  I am trying to assemble a set of utilities to convert
>from most of the major PC Graphics protocols (e.g. DIF, GIF, PIC, CGM,
>TIFF, IGES, + another 40 or so) to some "standard" format.  As no de facto
>standard really exists, I will probably end up using CGM, IGES, or TIFF or
>all three as the target for Graphics Data conversion.  Eventually, the
>standardized data will be uploaded to a UNIX system and sent to one of a
>variety of printers.

   I too would like the above information.  I will be writing my code on
   an Intel system in C, so any source code anyone can provide me with would
   be greatly appriciated!  I am mostly interested in the GIF format as a
   first project, but the others are of interest as well, and will get done
   later.

   Thanks in advance (sorry if a similar article got posted earlier, but
		      i made a mistake and tried to cancel it!)

aw0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Andrew Jordan Werth) (06/20/89)

I am currently working on a graphics interchange package and tool kit.

The project is currently in the design/development stages -- at some
point
in the future I would like to be able to help out some of you who have
requested graphics conversion tools.  However, right now I am in need
of some myself:  specifically, I am looking for source code to read in or
manipulate CCITT Group 3 or Group 4 bitmap formats (also known as
recommendations T.4 and T.6).

I would REALLY appreciate any pointers to source code, or actual source
code messages.  Thanks a lot.

Andrew Werth
aw0i@andrew.cmu.edu

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (06/21/89)

It seems there is major demand, and very little code, to do conversions
between all the graphics standards.

GEE, and there are SO MANY standards to choose from now.

I am primarily interested in converting between TIFF and GIF (both ways)
as well as viewers for TIFF on PC.  Obviously these things will require
some color quantizing since GIF and the PC are "pallette bound".

--Phil howard--  <phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>