[comp.graphics] graphics packages

djjouellette@tiger.waterloo.edu (Daniel Jules Joseph Ouellette. (.dpt)) (03/15/88)

	Hello.  I have been working recently with the graphics package called
LUMINA for the IBM's, and I like it a lot.

	I have an Atari St at home, and am looking for a program of similar
quality to use with the machine.  I already have Stectrum 512, so no need to
tell me about this product.

thanks, danny.

.dpt

	Jennifer with your orangehair
	Jennifer with your green eyes
	Jennifer in your dress of deepest purple
	Jennifer- Where are you tonight?
	Jennifer- Where are you tonight?

	(underneath the water/underneath the water)

	.AL/DAS

reply to   DJJOUELLETTE@TIGER.WATERLOO.EDU

sorensen@hstbme.mit.edu (Gregory Sorensen) (11/05/88)

I have heard about a couple of packages that may or may not be
available.  One is called RA, and it is a 3-D display package
that John Vries (sp?) at Children's Hospital in Pittsburg
developed (on a sun?).

The other is a set of algorithms more than a package,  per se,
and it is called SPIDER, or something like that.  I may recall
that I heard someone called John Webb at CMU might have had this...
(talk about confidence!)

Has anyone heard of these?  Are they available in any form?

Thanks...

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@hstbme.mit.edu  or
sorensen@mgh-rnmr.harvard.edu

turk@mit-amt (Matthew Turk) (11/06/88)

In article <7813@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, sorensen@hstbme.mit.edu (Gregory Sorensen) writes:
> I have heard about a couple of packages that may or may not be
> available.
>
> The other is a set of algorithms more than a package,  per se,
> and it is called SPIDER, or something like that.  I may recall
> that I heard someone called John Webb at CMU might have had this...

The SPIDER library of image processing routines was written in Fortran
by a Japanese company or university.  The Web library, at least a couple
years ago, was basically a re-writing of SPIDER for the Warp machine, a
fast systolic array machine developed by H.T. Kung's group at CMU.  I
imaging that Web has a lot of extra stuff, but I *think* it was only
done for the Warp machine (not portable at all to anything else).

Other CMU folks have developed a Unix-based image processing system
called Generalized Image Library (GIL), which is good for Suns....

m1jah01@fed.frb.gov (Jo-Ann A. Holden) (04/05/89)

I need some help identifying good, presentation-quality graphics packages.
I do graphics for the Federal Reserve Board.  The charts I produce go
directly to the Board each week.  They are designed to go along with text
written by economists.  The charts are multi-panel, with each panel's
content varying from one time series, to possibly eight or nine time series.
We use line charts, bar charts, scatter diagrams, and tables.  Whatever package
we decide on must take time series and arrays, must be user-friendly, must be
compatible with SUN workstations, Unix etc...  Data will be retrieved from
various databases (personal dbs, and the main Fed db), occasionally I plot
simple arrays as well.  Unfortunately, I am not well versed in the technical
side of things, so I am not sure how much programming we are capable of here
in terms of making a generic package suitable for our needs.  Keep in mind:
high-quality presentation, quick and easy manipulation of data, changes must
be able to be made quickly as well.  Everything must be able to be stored.
Finally, I rarely do the samething twice, so the package must be able to
produce a vast range of charts.  Panel size and placement changes with
each new chart, so I have to be able to manipulate these things as well.
Sounds like alot to ask huh?  Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!

                                       - Jo-Ann

msb62@leah.Albany.Edu (Mitch Baltuch) (06/22/89)

Does anyone know of a good graphics package (preferably GKS) that will run
under SCO Xenix, version 2.3.x.  I am currently using SCO CGI and it just
doesn't make it.  It is too slow, and doesn't handle multi-tasking well.  In
fact, I just installed version 1.1 and it doesn't work with multi-tasking at
all.  I have an unofficial patch which fixes things by going back to 1.0, but
that doesn't really solve anything.  Also, it won't accept anything but short
integers, and that is a problem because their virtual display space is (0,0) to
(32767,32767) which is the entire range of a short integer.  If you have a
graphics object which is scaled so part of the image exceeds 32767, you have
to clip it and put it into a short to plot it.  It is then clipped again in
SCO CGI, which is very slow.

Any suggestions on other packages would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mitch Baltuch
Thunderstorm Analysis Center
State University of New York at Albany
Internet: msb62@leah.albany.edu		Phone: (518) 442-4138
Bitnet:   m.s.baltuch@albnyvms		Snail Mail: State Univ. of NY at Albany
						    ES235	ATM/SCI
						    1400 Washington Ave.
						    Albany, New York 12222

Disclaimer: These opinions are only mine, but I love 'em anyway.