[comp.graphics] How did Alliant do this image?

fvance@airgun.UUCP (Frank Vance) (07/13/89)

In their advertisement in the July 89 issue of Supercomputing Review
(pages 6-7) Alliant features 4 images showing "typical" applications.
The one on the right, captioned "Mission Planning" shows an image of a
landscape, with valley, river, and mountains.  It has something of a fractal
character to it.

My questions are:

1. Is this image just a fractal landscape, or does the image represent a	"reconstruction" of a real-world location based on data points with elevation,
etc.

2. If the latter, how is the real landscape modeled?  As contour lines or
discrete points (or a grid)?  The detailing of the mountain (in particular)
seems to imply either a very high level of detail for the model or some
degree of fractal "interpolating" to add texture to the landscape.

3. Assuming it is not just a fractal image, is this an application some one
markets?

As usual, thanks in advance.

Frank Vance, Western Geophysical, Houston, TX      uunet!airgun!fvance
--
Frank Vance				fvance@airgun.wg.waii.com
Western Geophysical, Houston 		...!uunet!airgun!fvance

cliff@ficc.uu.net (cliff click) (07/14/89)

In article <26@airgun.UUCP>, fvance@airgun.UUCP (Frank Vance) writes:
> In their advertisement in the July 89 issue of Supercomputing Review
> (pages 6-7) Alliant features 4 images showing "typical" applications.
> The one on the right, captioned "Mission Planning" shows an image of a
> landscape, with valley, river, and mountains.  It has something of a fractal
> character to it.

I saw a demo of an Alliant zooming around a mountain & valley & city.  It was
the San Fransisco bay area, if I remember correctly.  The model was stored as
voxels (3-d pixels) and they were doing some real-time ray tracing stuff.

--
Cliff Click, Software Contractor at Large
Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!cliff, cliff@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5368 (w).