[comp.graphics] QRT archive site

talvola@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Erik Talvola) (07/14/89)

  A while ago, someone posted a message saying that there was an archive
at geomag.gly.fsu.edu which contained QRT images and Sun Rasterfiles.
I wrote down the machine name, and was going to try it later.  However, I
just noticed that anonymous ftp doesn't work, and it seems to want user
'guest' with some password.  I can't find the original article, so could
someone please mail me with instructions on how to FTP to this site?
Many thanks in advance.

---------------------------+
Erik Talvola               | "It's just what we need... a colossal negative
talvola@cory.berkeley.edu  | space wedgie of great power coming right at us
..!ucbvax!cory!talvola    | at warp speed." -- Star Drek

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subramanyan) (07/14/89)

In article <15424@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> talvola@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Erik Talvola) writes:

>  A while ago, someone posted a message saying that there was an archive
>at geomag.gly.fsu.edu which contained QRT images and Sun Rasterfiles.
>I wrote down the machine name, and was going to try it later.  However, I
>just noticed that anonymous ftp doesn't work, and it seems to want user
>'guest' with some password.  I can't find the original article, so could
>someone please mail me with instructions on how to FTP to this site?
>Many thanks in advance.
>

>---------------------------+
>Erik Talvola               | "It's just what we need... a colossal negative
>talvola@cory.berkeley.edu  | space wedgie of great power coming right at us
>..!ucbvax!cory!talvola    | at warp speed." -- Star Drek

  Well, our ftp site does still exist...however we are having some system
  problems, so I disabled the anonymous ftp until the system is stable.  I'm
  presently reloading all of the system files, so be patient.  The i.p.
  address is 128.186.10.2 geomag.gly.fsu.edu.  I estimate uptime for our
  system at this weekend (Friday or Saturday).  At this time, it should
  include all the qrt data files used for my pictures, all the pictures
  I've done so far, plus ones pulled off the net, and the source code to
  qrt (I can get all the code immediately, except for qrtpost, which I
  will have to upload from home.)

  I disabled the anonymous ftp for 2 reasons, 1) if there is a hole in
  the ftp program (we had a number of bad blocks on our last dump), then
  the security features might be disabled and hackers could mangle our
  system worse. 2) while I reload the system, many of the daemons running
  die when their executable is written over by the reload.  Thus, if I
  was reloading ftp-related things while an anon. ftp'er was connected,
  then they would be disconnected, possibly in the middle of a load or
  something.

  Try again Friday or Saturday and it should be up.
  --- Prem S. (system adm. for geomag.gly.fsu.edu).

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (07/15/89)

Does anyone make QRT archives available by uucp?
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subramanyan) (07/15/89)

In article <126@uucs1.UUCP> gaf@uucs1.UUCP () writes:

>Does anyone make QRT archives available by uucp?
>--
>Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
>UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.
>ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!uucs1!gaf	sun!sunburn!gtx!uucs1!gaf

 I am assuming that you mean QRT data files.  I have quite a few archived on our
 Sun here (geomag).  I was also going to upload the source for the latest
 version of QRT that I have (I believe it is 1.5) to our anon. ftp account.
 In addition, I have a number of QRT-traced rasters done with a version of QRT
 installed on our resident ETA-10G.  A friend of mine is working on getting it
 optimized in ETA code (vectorizing it), so it will eventually be one of the
 fastest versions of QRT available (actually, he's working on mtv right now,
 with QRT planned for the near future).  By the way, the system will be up as
 of late this evening (around 7/8:00 EST), so everything will be available for
 ftp'ing.  Sorry about the problems, guys....I guess the more complicated the
 machine, the more pieces there are to fail.  From this point on, the system
 will probably be brought down to single-user mode to tar off all changed files,
 every Friday, so be prepared for this.  Other than that, I anticipate full
 uptime for the anon. ftp account and it's connected Sun rasters.
 --- Prem Subrahmanyam (sys. admin. for geomag.gly.fsu.edu 128.186.10.2)