[comp.graphics] SIGGRAPH Comments

siggraph@watcgl.waterloo.edu (07/20/89)

There have been a number of comments posted to the net recently about
SIGGRAPH conferences.  The discussion on magnetic badges has, I think,
more or less aired all of the issues.  The question of student housing
(cheap, dorm-style) housing just appeared.  These, and any other
issues, can be forwared to siggraph@cgl.waterloo.edu as "letters to the
editor" for the SIGGRAPH newsletter if you feel that the
comments/questions are of general interest.  Not all will appear in the
newsletter, but those deemed of general interest will.

Regarding student housing:  At some of the past conferences, this has
been provided.  It has depended on the city.  This may or may not have
been considered for this year.  An "official" answer should be
forthcoming after a check with the people who set things up for this
year.

Obviously nothing will happen this year, but if there is a reasonable
demand for cheap dorm-style housing and it is available in the
conference city, then certainly every effort would be made to provide
it.

Considerations that have to be taken into account are (at least):

  o  the availability of dorms (or the equivalent) at rates that make
     a real difference from hotel rates (it is assumed that students
     interested in saving money will at least double if not triple or
     quadruple up in regular hotels)

  o  the number of people who actually take advantage of the cheap rooms
     (it costs money to arrange these things, so if not too many people
     take advantage, it costs more than it saves)

  o  the cost of providing bus service to and from the conference events
     (people staying in dorms are the last ones who will spring for taxis,
     so the buses have to run regular schedules -- often the dorms will be
     located a good distance from the conference -- buses cost money --
     so a large number of people need to take advantage of this type of
     housing to justify the busing costs -- see the previous point).

  o  whether the convention bureau in the city will handle reservations for
     dorms -- this too costs money if the convention bureau does not provide
     it for free (as they do for the hotels -- because the hotels pay them
     to do it -- universities don't often belong to the convention bureau).

All this having been said, SIGGRAPH does try to provide a good mix of housing
to fit everyone's budget.  It may be that the demand for dorm housing has
been underestimated.

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (07/20/89)

In article <10729@watcgl.waterloo.edu> siggraph@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
>There have been a number of comments posted to the net recently about
>SIGGRAPH conferences.  The discussion on magnetic badges has, I think,
>more or less aired all of the issues.  The question of student housing
>(cheap, dorm-style) housing just appeared. ...

Since I've been one of the more vocal persons on the net recently regarding
blasting SIGGRAPH over the "stinking" badges, I'd just like to take the
opportunity to salute the management of SIGGRAPH for their responsiveness and
personal attention.  In addition to airing my opinions on this matter over the
network, I've also had the opportunity to discuss some of the aspects of the
badges as they relate to various conference management issues via private mail
with SIGGRAPH folks.  One SIGGRAPHer was even so interested in hearing my
opinion that he called me on the phone and we chatted about the issues
involved for probably a half hour.  I'm still not a big fan of the badges from
a general privacy and civil liberties standpoint but I think I do understand
more about the whys and wherefores of the issue now.

These folks *do* listen and they do value *our* opinions!

Now if I just had the time to run for the board... :-)
--
							spl
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl@ncsc.org

jesse@ut-emx.UUCP (J.W.Driver) (07/21/89)

As far as the student volonteer program, I think this is a very

well-managed aspect of SIGGRAPH. Of three applications I know of that

were submitted before the deadline, all were accepted. It provides free

registration to courses and technical sessions, with housing for just

$25 per night. That seems to be a very reasonable amount of money.