[comp.graphics] GIF files for SVGA

wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) (07/19/89)

I am looking for a utility that will display the SuperVGA (800x600) GIF files
on an NEC 2A (800x600) monitor (connected to a 286/20MHz AT with T-VGA 16-bit
controller which supports up to 1024x768).

I have a couple of VGA-compatible GIF display programs, but they can't handle
the SVGA files.

Does anyone know of any such GIF SVGA display utility?

Con someone tell me how I might get it displayed using the standard VGA display
programs?

Thanks!

-- Marcus
U. of Central Fla.
wordproc@ucf-cs.ucf.edu

brtmac@calvin.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (07/20/89)

In article <1191@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:
>I am looking for a utility that will display the SuperVGA (800x600) GIF files
>on an NEC 2A (800x600) monitor (connected to a 286/20MHz AT with T-VGA 16-bit
>controller which supports up to 1024x768).
>
>Does anyone know of any such GIF SVGA display utility?
>
>Con someone tell me how I might get it displayed using the standard VGA display
>programs?

There are at least two GIF display programs that I know of that support SVGA.
PICEM is fairly powerful supports a wide range of video modes, plus allows
you to manually select a BIOS mode if it does not have it in its menu.
It will size a picture to fit the screen if it is bigger than you can
display.  VPIC is much the same, but more menu oriented than command line
oriented than PICEM.  I can't remember for sure where I got them, but they
should be wherever display programs can be found.  You might try SIMTEL20
or grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.

--
Brett McCoy                |  God is real, unless declared integer
brtmac@ksuvm.ksu.edu       |

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (07/21/89)

In article <1191@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:

>I am looking for a utility that will display the SuperVGA (800x600) GIF files
>on an NEC 2A (800x600) monitor (connected to a 286/20MHz AT with T-VGA 16-bit
>controller which supports up to 1024x768).

CompuShow ver. 7 (CSHOW7) is a program for displaying GIF, RLE, and MacPaint
files.  It has video drivers for a number of SVGA cards.  It can be found on
bboards or CompuServe's Graphic Support Forum.

Thomas C. Murphy                  Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI           BIX:  tmurphy
CompuServe: 73766,130

talvola@janus.berkeley.edu (Erik Talvola) (07/22/89)

   From: tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy)
   Newsgroups: comp.graphics
   Date: 21 Jul 89 12:41:23 GMT

   In article <1191@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:

   >I am looking for a utility that will display the SuperVGA (800x600) GIF files
   >on an NEC 2A (800x600) monitor (connected to a 286/20MHz AT with T-VGA 16-bit
   >controller which supports up to 1024x768).

   CompuShow ver. 7 (CSHOW7) is a program for displaying GIF, RLE, and MacPaint
   files.  It has video drivers for a number of SVGA cards.  It can be found on
   bboards or CompuServe's Graphic Support Forum.

VPIC v1.8 (and some earlier versions) supports many different Extended VGA
boards by means of .CFG file which you can define for your board.  I use
it regularly with my Orchid ProDesigner Plus with no problem which uses
the Tseng chips - I know it supports Vega and a bunch of others already,
and if yours isn't there, you should be able to get it.  It is available
on many BBS's, and also check out comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d - someone offered
to make it available by mail.  If that doesn't work, mail me and I can probably
send you a copy.

--
---------------------------+
Erik Talvola               | "It's just what we need... a colossal negative

vgopal@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (venu.p.gopal) (07/22/89)

In article <1191@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU> wordproc@ucf-cs.UCF.EDU (Gang of Three) writes:

>I am looking for a utility that will display the SuperVGA (800x600) GIF files
>on an NEC 2A (800x600) monitor (connected to a 286/20MHz AT with T-VGA 16-bit
>controller which supports up to 1024x768).

>I have a couple of VGA-compatible GIF display programs, but they can't handle
>the SVGA files.  Does anyone know of any such GIF SVGA display utility?
>
>Con someone tell me how I might get it displayed using the standard VGA display
>programs?

You should be able to display it using VUGIF's BIOS mode.  Only thing is that
the BIOS mode is usually slow.  To use the BIOS mode, you should make sure that
the BIOS driver that comes with your card is installed.  Alternately,
if this card is compatible with either the Paradise VGA Prof
or ATI VGA Wonder, I know that fast drivers are available for VUGIF from
the company.

VUGIF was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a little while ago.

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vgopal
Internet: vgopal@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vgopal@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vgopal%ihuxy@research.att.com"

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken Sykes) (07/25/89)

PICEM does a good job of displaying GIF files on a wide variety of
displays, including Super VGAs.  It can be found on most BBSes and
Compuserve in the PICS forum.

Sincerely,
   Ken Sykes