[comp.graphics] propsed comp.org.siggraph

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (07/25/89)

>Proposal by Peter for comp.org.siggraph.

I was thinking the same thing.  There exists comp.org.ieee (noted in
the latest Institute as well) and comp.org.sigplan (moderated), but
I was thinking it should be comp.graphics.siggraph.  Yes I know
the hierarchy, but that's part of the problem with those kinds of structures.

So what do you think Kelly?  Moderation after chair? 8).

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (07/25/89)

In article <4460@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>>Proposal by Peter for comp.org.siggraph.
>
>I was thinking it should be comp.graphics.siggraph.
>
>So what do you think Kelly?  Moderation after chair? 8).

I proposed this about a year or two ago.  I even went so far as to send
e-mail to someone (I forget who) that was supposedly involved in setting
up such news groups (whatever that means -- I have carefully avoided any
contact with administration of the net).  There was no response.

Pro:	comp.graphics.siggraph would permit people who only want to know
	about SIGGRAPH stuff to focus on that group and people who don't
	care at all to avoid it.

Con:	People new to the net (the ones who ask "where can I get references
	on ..." who obviously don't know about SIGGRAPH yet or they would
	be looking in the conference proceedings) won't know to subscribe
	to the subgroup.  And people who realize this will be tempted to
	cross-post articles.  This would be even worse for comp.org.siggraph.

Personally, I think that the SIGGRAPH-related traffic is relatively low
(there was a recent flurry, but it's just before the conference -- there
will probably be another short burst after the conference).  Low enough
that we should be able to use the existing news group.

If someone wants to go through the motions of officially deciding on a
new subgroup, I would certainly support the effort.

Kelly Booth
SIGGRAPH past chair