[comp.graphics] DBW_Render bug

greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) (07/26/89)

I've just gotten DBW_Render compiled and running on our VAX and have generated
the three samples (glass.dat, island.dat, brick.dat) in 800x600x256.

The resulting picture (gif) from Glass.dat has a few white spheres in the field
of view that aren't suppose to be there.  I seem to recall a message thread a
few months (years?) ago on the subject that concluded that DWB_Render had a
minor problem in it's trace-through-glass routines that cause these spots.

At that time a fix was suggested, with someone (perhaps the author?) giving a
few pointers on where to start.

My question is, has anyone gone ahead with this fix?  If so, please mail me the
changed source (or the diffs).  If not, could anyone perhaps give me a starting
point, so I may investigate myself?

Thanks in advance!
    | Greg Philmon  ...gatech!dekalb!greg   CIS: 72261,1724 |

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (07/27/89)

In article <615@dekalb.UUCP> greg@dekalb.UUCP (Greg Philmon) writes:
>I've just gotten DBW_Render compiled and running on our VAX and have generated
>the three samples (glass.dat, island.dat, brick.dat) in 800x600x256.
>
>The resulting picture (gif) from Glass.dat has a few white spheres in the field
>of view that aren't suppose to be there.  I seem to recall a message thread a
>few months (years?) ago on the subject that concluded that DWB_Render had a
>minor problem in it's trace-through-glass routines that cause these spots.
  No, it's not a bug.  Those spheres are the light sources.  When there's a
  non-vector/non-point light source, the light-calculating routines will
  place the light sources in their proper place as a pure sphere of
  whatever color light you're using....this, I believe, is intentional
  so that objects like light bulbs can be modelled by encasing a
  spherical light source within a transparent sphere, etc.

  Since it's not a bug, I don't believe there is a bug fix....you can try
  to discover the light routines and stop the light from being displayed,
  but good luck....render is a very complex program and changes like that
  may very likely screw up something else.

  ---Prem Subrahmanyam