[comp.graphics] anyone for a game of mazewar

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (07/26/89)

   I know that this technically does not have to do with graphics, but
   I figured I might as well post it anyway, as everyone here in comp.
   graphics is familiar with us....geomag.gly.fsu.edu.

   While I am at work, I will keep a game of mazewar going, so if anyone
   wants to find some time to goof off...let your mazewar game try to
   connect to geomag.gly.fsu.edu (128.186.10.2) as duke and we will get
   a few rounds going.
   ---Prem S.
   p.s. I'm using sun_mazewar and am wondering if other implementations
   are compatible with mine.

falk@sun.Eng.Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (08/03/89)

In article <222@loligo.cc.fsu.edu>, prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) writes:
>    While I am at work, I will keep a game of mazewar going, so if anyone
>    wants to find some time to goof off...let your mazewar game try to
>    connect to geomag.gly.fsu.edu (128.186.10.2) as duke and we will get
>    a few rounds going.
>    ---Prem S.
>    p.s. I'm using sun_mazewar and am wondering if other implementations
>    are compatible with mine.

Well, *I'm* confused.  I thought mazewar only ran on the local net; is
there away for someone out here in netland to play with someone at FSU?

--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems, sun!falk, falk@sun.com

  "If you wrapped yourself in the flag like George Bush does, you'd
  be worried about flag-burning too"

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (08/04/89)

   If I'm not mistaken, which I often am, if you connect to a machine as the
   duke mazewar host, you can play anyone anywhere, provided that there is a
   mazewar going on the machine you connect to....so when you get the prompt...
   Duke Server (CR for any game):    type geomag.gly.fsu.edu (provided that
   your machines have us in their hosts files (i.p. addr. 128.186.10.2) and
   you can play here.  I have played with a fellow named Lars from Cornell,
   and I have a suspicion that a few others are outsiders as well....by the
   way, I (Cyre the Confiscator, alias Prem Subrahmanyam) remain undefeated
   to this day, usually by a margin of several hundred points....and I don't
   use any of the cheat modes.....invincible/omniscient....if anyone does
   connect here, we expect them to follow the same rules....no cheating....it
   makes the game far less interesting.
   ---Prem Subrahmanyam

brtmac@calvin.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (08/04/89)

In article <240@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> prem@geomag.UUCP (Prem Subrahmanyam) writes:
>   If I'm not mistaken, which I often am, if you connect to a machine as the
>   duke mazewar host, you can play anyone anywhere, provided that there is a
>   mazewar going on the machine you connect to....so when you get the prompt...
>   Duke Server (CR for any game):    type geomag.gly.fsu.edu (provided that
>   your machines have us in their hosts files (i.p. addr. 128.186.10.2) and
>   you can play here.  I have played with a fellow named Lars from Cornell,
>   and I have a suspicion that a few others are outsiders as well....by the
>   way, I (Cyre the Confiscator, alias Prem Subrahmanyam) remain undefeated
>   to this day, usually by a margin of several hundred points....and I don't
>   use any of the cheat modes.....invincible/omniscient....if anyone does
>   connect here, we expect them to follow the same rules....no cheating....it
>   makes the game far less interesting.
>   ---Prem Subrahmanyam

For you to remain undefeated while playing people from other parts of the
country is no big thing.  The person who is playing on a local Duke always
has an advantage to the person playing remotely, especially if the distances
are fairly large.  Anyway, I am up to your challenge.  But, it appears that
you aren't.  The last couple of times I have tried to start a game up on your
Duke, there wasn't one to be found.  How are people supposed to challenge you,
if you leave them no way to challenge?  :-)  I suggest that you get a Duke
running so that a proper challenge may be made.

DEATH TO ALL EYEBALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Brett McCoy                |  God is real, unless declared integer
brtmac@ksuvm.ksu.edu       |

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (08/06/89)

From article <240@loligo.cc.fsu.edu>, by prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam):

>    If I'm not mistaken, which I often am, if you connect to a machine as the
>    duke mazewar host, you can play anyone anywhere, provided that there is a
>    mazewar going on the machine you connect to....so when you get the prompt...

As long as we're on the subject, I've written a game similar to mazewars that
runs on the Macintosh through the GEnie online system (a service like CIS).
If you're interested in mazewars, get on GEnie and type "A-Maze-ing" to go
to the game menu.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (08/06/89)

oh...by the way...where can I ftp a copy of mazewars from?  Either a Sun or
X windows based version would be great!

masterm@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Boyle Mow) (08/08/89)

In article <1519@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>oh...by the way...where can I ftp a copy of mazewars from?  Either a Sun or
>X windows based version would be great!

Sources for mazewars can be found at uunet.uu.net via anonymous ftp in
the directory comp.sources.sun.

Boyle