[comp.graphics] what _is_ UNIRAS?

tuna@athena.mit.edu (Kirk 'UhOh' Johnson) (07/15/89)

what exactly is UNIRAS? there have been several postings about it, but
i have yet to gleen from them what UNIRAS actually does.

could any informed soul kindly provide some illumination?

kirk

russell@minster.york.ac.uk (07/19/89)

In article <12673@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tuna@athena.mit.edu (Kirk 'UhOh' Johnson) writes:
>what exactly is UNIRAS? there have been several postings about it, but
>i have yet to gleen from them what UNIRAS actually does.
>
>could any informed soul kindly provide some illumination?
>
>kirk

I hardly qualify as an informed soul, but as one of the previous posters (?) I will try
to provide the light:

UNIRAS is a suite of graphics routines to produce graphical output using raster
technology.  Originally designed for geologists, it is easy to use, especially
interactively, and can also be combined with standard programs as a drawing facility.
It has three major sections, UNIGRAPH, UNIMAP and UNIEDIT.  UNIGRAPH allows charts and
graphs to be drawn; the user provides the data and the package does the scaling etc.
required.  UNIMAP does contours, 3-d and 4-d (x,y,z,colour) drawing, along with contour
projection on 3-d images etc.  Being designed with geologists in mind, it handles
discontinuities and jumps in data well.  Input data can be either on a regular or
irregular grid, and interpolation routines are available.  UNIEDIT is an interactive
graphical editor which allows complex pages to be built up from other UNIRAS objects and
from user-defined symbols and on-the-spot drawings.  It is great for annotating and/or
explaining graphical output in a simple fashion.

These sections are run via a keyboard controlled menu system, and are very easy to use.
The libraries that make up these sections are accessible directly - they include
RASPAK - fundamental routines
CADRAS - solid modelling
BIZMAP - world maps
GEOPAK - mapping
GEOINT - interpolation
GIMAGE - image display
SEISPAK - seismological work

I have used the routines for all of a couple of hours and have produced very pretty 3-d
graphs with them.

Hope this helps.

Russell.

pgh@stl.stc.co.uk (Peter Hamer) (07/25/89)

The description of UNIRAS sounds interesting.

How does one get hold of it, and how much does it cost?

Peter

pickel@mcnc.org (Lisa C. Pickel) (07/26/89)

>In article <12673@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> tuna@athena.mit.edu (Kirk 'UhOh' Johnson) writes:
>>what exactly is UNIRAS? there have been several postings about it, but
>>i have yet to gleen from them what UNIRAS actually does.

And I will ask the next question: where can one obtain this package?

Lisa.
pickel@mcnc.org
decvax!mcnc!pickel

russell@minster.york.ac.uk (08/10/89)

In article <1616@stl.stc.co.uk> "Peter Hamer" <pgh@stl.stc.co.uk> writes:
>The description of UNIRAS sounds interesting.
>
>How does one get hold of it, and how much does it cost?
>
>Peter

Sorry for the delay in replying.
A few details follow on the UNIRAS system - note that I am an inexperienced but
enthusiastic user of the system, and *not* an official salesman for it (but if
anyone wants to give me commission.....:-) )

UNIRAS corporate office
Copenhagen
376, Gladsaxevej,
DK-2860 Soborg,
Denmark.
Tel 01 67 22 88

London
Ambassador House
181 Farnham Road
Slough SL1 4XP
England
Tel. 0753 79293

Los Angeles
23801 Calabasas Road,
Suite 2050
Calabasas CA 91302 USA
Tel. 818 704-3878

Costs: no idea for companies, but it is commercially available since it was originally
developed for the oil industry, and is now used by a lot of people in all disciplines.

UK. University/Polys : 1500 pounds p.a. for first site licence, 500 pounds per subsequent
machine implementation - so if you have a VAX cluster that has the main licence, that costs
1500 pounds - for *all* users connected to that VAX.  If you have suns as well, its 500
pounds extra to run it on any/all of the suns.

Contact them for more details.

On a personal note, I like it, its easy to use, for scientists and non-scientists alike,
and draws very pretty piccies!

Russell.