[comp.graphics] Help Me! Mac II -> NTSC

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/14/89)

I recently saw an article in MacWeek with a story which interested me. Well,
actually it's somewhat more than interest. I need to be able to do this!

Anyway, I read through the article, and I'll transcribe the side bar which
supposedly tells how to do it. I'm by no means an EE, but I know enough
about electronics to firmly believe that what follows makes no sense at
all.

==========
>From MacWeek, August 8th, 1989, page 20: (For those of you who don't get
MacWeek, but were at the Expo, this was the copy which was given out free.)
Reproduced without permission. Sidebar entitled, "You'll need a custom cable"
Text follows:

  To get National Television System Committee-standard [editor's note: is
*that* what NTSC stands for? I always thought it was for Never Twice the Same
Color!] video from Apple's eight-bit color card for the Mac II, users need a
special cable to connect the board to video output devices like VCRs and
television monitors.
  The cable requires a 15 pin male DB-15 pin connector, a male RCA plug and a
coaxial cable - standard parts available in electronics supply stores for about
$30. Many computer dealers, electronics stores and cable companies also make
custom cables. The DB-15 end of the cable plugs into the female DB-15 connector
on the Macintosh video card, and the other end plugs into a video output
device, such as a VCR.
==========

OK... I'm a little fuzzy on that last paragraph. I don't think I'll have any
trouble soldering a co-ax to an RCA plug. But how does one connect a co-ax
cable to a connector with 15 pins? Which two pins should I solder the wires
to?

Finally, there's a piece of software associated with this little hack. To
quote MacWeek again, [it is] "a free software utility developed at Apple...
[which was] first distributed at the Apple Developers's Conference in May and
soon to be available on bulletin boards like CompuServe and Usenet..." Maybe
someone with Phil & Dave's would like to make it available for ftp-ing (or
was it not on the CD?).

Anyway, I need to make some videos with my mac and I don't want to have to buy
an expensive genlock board. This seems like a quick (& VERY dirty) hack which
would save me $1000 and do a sufficiently good job to suit my needs.

Thanks...

Adam

--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."      | email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu |
"Anything you want."                  +---------------------------+---------+

sarrel@sioux.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (08/14/89)

You're joking?  Right?  Someone at MacWeek is pulling our collective
leg!

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fly can't bird, but a bird can fly.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
A fish can't whistle, and neither can I.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie,
Why does a chicken, I don't know why.
Ask me a riddle and I reply:
"Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston Pie."
-=-
"Master, why is the letter 'i' the symbol for current?"  "Because there is
no letter 'i' in the word 'current'."  "Master, why do we use the letter
'j' for sqrt(-1)?"  "Because we use the letter 'i' for current."  Whereupon
the Master struck the Disciple, and the Disciple became enlightened.

fontenot@rice.edu (Dwayne J. Fontenot) (08/15/89)

In article <475@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:

>I recently saw an article in MacWeek with a story which interested me. Well,
>actually it's somewhat more than interest. I need to be able to do this!

[stuff about the following making no sense at all deleted...]

>==========
>>From MacWeek, August 8th, 1989, page 20: (For those of you who don't get
>MacWeek, but were at the Expo, this was the copy which was given out free.)
>Reproduced without permission. Sidebar entitled, "You'll need a custom cable"
>Text follows:

[stuff about assembling a special cable deleted...]

>Finally, there's a piece of software associated with this little hack. To
>quote MacWeek again, [it is] "a free software utility developed at Apple...
>[which was] first distributed at the Apple Developers's Conference in May and
>soon to be available on bulletin boards like CompuServe and Usenet..." Maybe
>someone with Phil & Dave's would like to make it available for ftp-ing (or
>was it not on the CD?).
>
>Anyway, I need to make some videos with my mac and I don't want to have to buy
>an expensive genlock board. This seems like a quick (& VERY dirty) hack which
>would save me $1000 and do a sufficiently good job to suit my needs.

The utility in question is distributed by Apple on the demo disk of the
32-Bit QuickDraw package. The utility is called the Macintosh II Video
Card Utility (long name) and is described as a "Moitors CDEV extension".
The readme file that comes with the utility emphasizes that this software
is provided as a service and is _not_ supported by Apple.

Hardware required:
   o Mac II with a 4 or 8 bit color board.
   o special cable (get your parents to put it together)

Software required:
   o System 6.0.3 or later
   o Monitors 4.0 (included with 32-Bit QD)
   o General CDEV (included with 32-Bit QD)
   o 32-Bit QD

The readme file seems pretty complete (its long so I won't post it here)
and tells exactly how to construct the special cable needed.
Unfortunately, since this is part of an Apple software distribution, I don't
know if I can distribute it over the net.

BTW, I don't remember seeing this software on Phil and Dave's...

>Thanks...
You're welcome...

>Adam

------
Dwayne Jacques Fontenot : fontenot@uncle-bens.rice.edu
Computing Information Services Microconsultant ; Rice University, Houston TX
Comp Sci / Cog Ling Ugrad * This bit reserved for future expansion...