[comp.graphics] Looking for Slide Makers

fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (08/09/89)

	I'm in the market for a slide maker.  Right now I've got a Polaroid
	Palette Plus & I'm looking for some thing better.
	Price isn't an object (yet), so any info would be great.

	Thanks,

	Declan Fleming
	U of I

Roger.Hausmann@f270.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Roger Hausmann) (08/14/89)

We have been using Matrix QCR and QCR-Z filmrecorders here at a professional
Imaging Service Center. The resolution of these recorders is 2000 or
4000 lines. The Z-model (just like the cars) are the faster ones (shorter
imaging time) and of course more expensive. I have also worked with
the Matrix PCR, a low-end version with up to 2000 line resolution -
that baby is slow, but then it's also only approx. $ 7000. If you are
looking for real good stuff: There is the Management Graphics Solitaire
filmrecorder (you did say money was no problem?) which has a resolution
of 8000 lines and now, I hear there's the new Solitaire with 16000
line resolution. If you need to know more about these and other machines,
call me at (713) 526-2331. Ask for Roger.

kalra@rodan.caltech.edu (Devendra Kalra) (08/16/89)

In article <19243.24E6C3DF@urchin.fidonet.org> Roger.Hausmann@f270.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Roger Hausmann) writes:
>We have been using Matrix QCR and QCR-Z filmrecorders here at a professional
>Imaging Service Center. The resolution of these recorders is 2000 or

A few years ago, I played with the Matrix QCR-D model. I noticed serious
banding problems. I seemed to be getting only 6 bits of resolution rather than
the 8 that it advertised. We recently tried another model. We again had serious
problems. This time, the bezel was incorrectly formed so that we would get
cutoffs on either side of a 35 mm transparency.

Any comments?

Deven

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (08/16/89)

In article <11605@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> kalra@rodan.caltech.edu (Devendra Kalra) writes:
   A few years ago, I played with the Matrix QCR-D model. I noticed serious
   banding problems. I seemed to be getting only 6 bits of resolution rather than
   the 8 that it advertised.

The QCR-D4 has only 6 (or 5 in color mode!) bits of resolution.  My
solution to this was to add some noise to the image before recording
it (3 bits of noise).  This essentially eliminated all the banding,
with no visible effects.

--
=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)

djk@cs.cs.columbia.edu (David Kurlander) (08/17/89)

In article <11605@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> kalra@rodan.caltech.edu (Devendra Kalra) writes:
>  A few years ago, I played with the Matrix QCR-D model. I noticed serious
>  banding problems. I seemed to be getting only 6 bits of resolution
>  rather than the 8 that it advertised.
>  Any comments?

We also get only 6 bits of color resolution out of our Matrix QCR-D
film recorder.  If you examine the tables that map input intensity to
colors for this device, you'll see that several input values are often
mapped to a single output value.  I wrote a program which uses the
Floyd Steinberg error propagation algorithm to compensate for the
QCR-D's standard lookup table.  The results are significantly better
-- banding is often no longer a problem, and is always significantly
reduced.  The folks at NYIT use a similar approach.  Still, it would
be nice to have a full 8 bits of output!

David
--
David Kurlander				Department of Computer Science