[comp.graphics] Lasers for RGB scanning

david@epicb.UUCP (David Cook) (08/16/89)

In article <46900035@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>"White" krypton lasers are not really white. They contain several
>lines that add together to appear whice to the eye. They do
>make good color scanner sources, as the lines are in nice places.
>

> I am not an expert on lasers, but I came across some info that might be of
> interest. On the Discovery Channel there was a piece on medical lasers.

> Some surgeons needed different frequencies of lasers for different tasks, so
> they were using a Dye laser. From what I could gather, a primary laser excited
> a dye which emmitted a secondary laser which could be tuned to almost any
> frequency.

> Using such a laser maybe you could tune it to Red, Green, or Blue for color
> scanning.

I'm not an expert on lasers either... but I believe that dye lasers would
not be a good choice for scanning... [1], they requre refreshing (ie.. the
dye elements require refreshing (pumping) and [2], they tend to be too
high of a power (read DANGEROUS) for most scanning applications.

In general, you want LOW POWER lasers for most scanning applications.
Helium-Neon produces light at 6328 anstroms (orangish-red) and can be
used for the red component... several companies, as of 1985, have anounced
helium-neon lasers tuned to operate in the blue-green area also.  Therefore,
it is possible to use several helium-neon lasers to get Red, Green and Blue.
(By the way, Dye lasers are very expensive and he-ne lasers are very cheap).
Besides he-ne... argon can also be used for the blue-green component, and
current argon technology requires no pumping and are fairly inexpensive
(as compared to other laser technology).  Some recent advancements, however
should be also considered... solid-state laser diodes which produce visible
(red) light, could also be used as the Red component.  I am not aware of
any blue or green laser diodes.

 -- David Cook
    uunet!epicb!david

jeff@hpspdra.HP.COM (Jeff Gibson) (08/18/89)

Hmmmmmmmm, lasers.

I just left a laser manufacturer where I worked on a "White Light"
product.  These systems are typically used in the Light Show industry
for medium power applications such as auditorium and planetarium shows.
There are low-powered versions (air-cooled, milliwatt power levels)
which are also sold into this market, although they are a very small
percentage of the marketplace.

White light lasers are an attractive alternative for laser scanning if
beam quality is not a big issue, ie; small spot sizes are not necessary.
White lights run multimode which means that the various colors will have
different beam diameters and Transverse Modes.

Multiple laser systems as described ( A red Hene, a green Hene) are a
way around the beam problem, but after all the lasers are added together
the total cost may exceed that of a single white-light.  I also believe
that for a "balanced" RGB setup, or one which has somewhat equal power
levels of red, green, and blue, one still needs to utilize a Hene for
the Red and a air-cooled Argon for the green and the blue.  Red HeNe's
range from .5 to 20 mw, whereas green HeNe's have yet to exceed 1 mw in
production quantities.  And blue HeNe's simply do not exist.

For more information on RGB scanners, look up the laser entertainment
folk who build them and sell them as stand-alone products, both as
single white-light systems, or as multiple laser systems.