[comp.graphics] Image Composition Help needed

viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) (08/18/89)

Hi,

  I am looking for articles on image composition.  The only one that I have
been able to locate is:

		Compositing Digital Images
		Thomas Porter
		Tom Duff
		Computer Graphics Volume 18, Number 3, July 1984

  Does anyone know of other articles.

  Thanks in advance

  viraf bankwalla
  viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu
  uunet!gwusun!viraf

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (08/18/89)

In article <1449@gwusun.gwu.edu> viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) writes:

>  I am looking for articles on image composition.  The only one that I have
>been able to locate is:
>
>		Compositing Digital Images
>		Thomas Porter
>		Tom Duff
>		Computer Graphics Volume 18, Number 3, July 1984
>
>  Does anyone know of other articles.

An early article to introduce the blending of images (among other things)
that is almost completely unknown to people in computer graphics is:

	W.R. Mallgren and A.C. Shaw, "Graphical transformations and
	hierarchic picture structures", Computer Graphics and Image
	Processing 8, 2 (October 1978), 237-258.

Tom Duff's paper in SIGGRAPH '85 takes about 10 minutes to read and
contains some other references.
--
Eugene Fiume
Dynamic Graphics Project

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/19/89)

In article <1449@gwusun.gwu.edu> viraf@gwusun.gwu.edu (Viraf Bankwalla) writes:
>Hi,

Duff had a follow-up the next year at the SIGGRAPH conference (or maybe '86,
I don't have the proceedings in front of me).

In article <1989Aug18.115342.9654@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) writes:

>	W.R. Mallgren and A.C. Shaw, "Graphical transformations and
>	hierarchic picture structures", Computer Graphics and Image
>	Processing 8, 2 (October 1978), 237-258.

I believe that more information on this is in Mallgren's thesis, which was
published in the ACM Dissertation series (the paper describes a subset of
the thesis work, I think).