[comp.graphics] MTV raytracer and Eric Haines test nff files

billd@celerity.uucp (Bill Davidson) (08/22/89)

I sent mail to Mark V about this but I never got an answer (I'm
not absolutely sure he ever got my mail since it bounced with the
first two addresses that I tried, the third didn't bounce but it
may have fallen into email hell).  Anyway, I'm trying to run ray on
the nff files generated by Eric Haines programs as distributed
from uoregon.  The aspect ratios seem screwed up in general but
especially on cylinders and cones.  I'm not sure if it's a problem
in the ray-tracer or in the nff files.  Anyway, anything circular
which is oriented horizontally will be stretched out.  I'm computing
these things in a square field with square pixels.  Anyone out
there know how to fix this (is there a way to set aspect ratio
somewhere?).

--Bill

markv@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark T Vandewettering) (08/22/89)

In article <561@celit.UUCP> billd@celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) writes:
>I sent mail to Mark V about this but I never got an answer (I'm
>not absolutely sure he ever got my mail since it bounced with the
>first two addresses that I tried, the third didn't bounce but it
>may have fallen into email hell).  Anyway, I'm trying to run ray on
>the nff files generated by Eric Haines programs as distributed
>from uoregon.  The aspect ratios seem screwed up in general but
>especially on cylinders and cones.  I'm not sure if it's a problem
>in the ray-tracer or in the nff files.  Anyway, anything circular
>which is oriented horizontally will be stretched out.  I'm computing
>these things in a square field with square pixels.  Anyone out
>there know how to fix this (is there a way to set aspect ratio
>somewhere?).

I never received any mail from you, but since I read this group
normally, I'll take time here to respond.  It has just recently come to
my attention that my cylinder code is buggy, causing things to be quite
oddly distorted.  I must have introduced this bug prior to my posting,
because I will swear that I tried this stuff out (yeah right mark, uh
huh, tell it to the judge)

In any case, I am working on a bug fix, but am pretty busy.  When I have
fixed it, I will post the bug fixes.  I will also make a new version
available from cs.uoregon.edu, which will also include the patches
submitted to me by Eric Haines (thanks Eric, why didn't you catch these
:-)

There must be renewed interest in my raytracer after Siggraph :-)

Mark

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (08/24/89)

In article <10046@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> markv@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark T Vandewettering) writes:
>In article <561@celit.UUCP> I wrote:
[problems sending mail to Mark V]

>I never received any mail from you.

I kind of suspected that.  It was several months ago though so I
wouldn't expect you to remember it if you had.

[good news about fixes he's going to post]

>There must be renewed interest in my raytracer after Siggraph :-)

Actually, I haven't touched it for months but I've been trying to
write a generalized color quantizer that reads and writes several
formats with dithering (24 bit's to n bits where 24 >= n >= 1. (Jef
P. when do we get COLOR PBM? :-).  I was inspired into this project
by the raytracer.  I've been using Eric's nff files raytraced with
Mark's raytracer as test images.  I printed several on our imagen
laser printer and everyone who looks at them comments about the
distortion so I decided to try to get an answer on it again.

--Bill