[comp.graphics] Color desktop scanners

rich@net1.ucsd.edu (bmf) (07/29/89)

 I have written software for color desktop scanners for about three
 years. In that time I have yet to see one that I really feel
 positive about. Most of them have some good points but...

 Anyway this discussion is for hobby purposes. The software I write
 for a living but the hardware a do at home for fun like any Buckaroo B.
 fan.

 Problem:
	Creating a desktop color scanner which is easy to use, has
	the quality of a drum scanner , and costs less than $3000 in
	parts. If we keep the discussion public we all gain a public
	domain scanner.

 Todays Scanners
	Todays scanners rely on either CCD arrays or video chips to
	collect a scan line, or block of pixel data. Both of these
	devices suffer from dynamic range problems. Determining black
	and white on them isn't that bad but getting a linear
	response is. Maybe a different technology should be applied
	here.

	Both of these devices need to be moved around the image (or the
	image moved around device)  This means adapting some sort of
	stepper motor technology. This leads a loss of sharpness in
	the image. Some companies handle it better than others, but
	again maybe a different sort of solution is avaiable.
	Software solutions tend to be slow and make an image more
	crisp rather than match the original.

	The CCD technology relies on either color light bulbs or
	color filters to reproduce the color in the image. Nasty
	problems occur here. The spectral response of both the
	filters and the bulbs tend to look like overlapping upside
	down u's. So if you are using red, green, and blue filters,
	there are certain reds greens and blues which do not
	register at all. While there are some greens that come
	register as yellow and others that register as cyan. So a
	green grass may effectively dither out to a grey. (this
	really pisses off scanner salespeople if you scan an image
	like this in front of them at a trade show.)

	Both the CCDs and the Video chips rely on camera lenses to
	focus the image unfortunately a red, green, and blue light
	have different focal lengths, so again we have a small
	sharpness problem.

 Conclusion:
	You can do a good job with todays scanners but what about
	applying some other technologies. Are there CD lasers
	available in a variety of wavelengths? How about focusing
	one of the spectral analysis devices onto a ccd array and
	any diode which shows a response gets added into the color
	value of the current pixel being scanned (too slow huh?).
	This could be fun.

	-Rich

/*    Rich Stewart   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!net1!rich  */

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (07/29/89)

The Chinon scanner that I saw at the deNardi (Norm, I apologize
if I didn't get the capitals right) show a couple of months ago
looked interesting.

It's cheap ( < $1000 ) scans a fixed page so filtered light scanning
wouldn't have the registration problem that a moving paper device
would. The image being scanned is out in the open to make filtered
lighting easy.

And the documentation tells how the interface (rs232) protocol
works so you can write a driver.

Has anyone used this device? I would like to see some reports
of experience with it.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

cliff@ficc.uu.net (cliff click) (07/31/89)

In article <1869@ucsd.EDU>, rich@net1.ucsd.edu (bmf) writes:
>  Problem:
> 	Creating a desktop color scanner which is easy to use, has
> 	the quality of a drum scanner , and costs less than $3000 in
> 	parts. If we keep the discussion public we all gain a public
> 	domain scanner.

Maybe you should do the reverse of a laser-printer.  Scan the image with
a laser reflected from a rotating mirror (to sweep the page), and check
the intensity of the reflected light.  Use different colored lasers (or
filters on a white-light laser??) for different colors.  You probably
need to correct the recieved data for the spectral response of the
laser/reciever.  Maybe you could use a standard laser-printer/xerox
shell (motor, paper transport, laser works) and add your own electronics.

--
Cliff Click, Software Contractor at Large
Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!cliff, cliff@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5368 (w).

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (08/03/89)

rich@net1.ucsd.edu (bmf) writes:

> Problem:
>	Creating a desktop color scanner which is easy to use, has
>	the quality of a drum scanner , and costs less than $3000 in
>	parts. If we keep the discussion public we all gain a public
>	domain scanner.
				.
				.
				.

> Conclusion:
>	You can do a good job with todays scanners but what about
>	applying some other technologies. Are there CD lasers
>	available in a variety of wavelengths? How about focusing
>	one of the spectral analysis devices onto a ccd array and
>	any diode which shows a response gets added into the color
>	value of the current pixel being scanned (too slow huh?).
>	This could be fun.

This is all very interesting, as I was peripherally involved in such a
project several years ago. An individual whom was peripherally involved
in printing, and some shadowy partners, wanted to be the first people
to provide tabletop printing-quality-resolution scanning and reproduction
systems. I provided the organizing element to an otherwise incoherent
plan to become millionaires, such that the algorithm we evolved after
much discussion resembled yours in approach, although we foundered long
before we reached the point of actually researching the interesting
details, for lack of responsible funding.

Getting a scanning resolution of 1/1000th of an inch was the major problem.
For some reason, the senior financing partner wanted to have everything
written in PostScript, but properly speaking, the accounting and control
software would have been written in another language, more suited, and the
PostScript would have been restricted to the image-processing module.

There were three problems.

	(1)	Create a device which attaches to a CPU, via SCSI, or
		RS232, or whatever, that translates a physical image
		into a series of bitmaps corresponding to the various
		major colors.

	(2)	Create and implement algorithms suitable to translating
		the major colors, from the physicist's point of view,
		into the complementary color set, as seen from the ink-
		driven view of the printer.

	(3)	Create and implement algorithms to translate vast bitmaps
		into a series of concise and minimalist PostScript language
		descriptions of the image contained, perfectly.

This particular thread represents a discussion on problem (1). ( When we were
talking about this, I was pretty sure monochromatic lasers were the light
source to use, and I'm pleased to see my guess confirmed. )

I've seen many discussions that address the issues around problem (2), and
I've learned quite a lot that I was unable to ferret out of libraries, by
the way, while reading them.

Problem (3) doesn't seem that hard to me, sort of a compiler problem, but
instead of dealing with textual icons you'd be dealing with geometric ones,
probably hexagons and triangles to fill up all the available spaces, then
lines where possible, then point-specific statements, the idea being to
crunch the huge bitmap down to the smallest PostScript description possible,
unless time constraints forced a tradeoff between time and space. ( A small
PostScript description would pay off in the reproduction phase, though, or so
I assume, perhaps naively. )

There's also a level somewhere in here, probably 1.5, where after you've
scanned in the image, but before you've separated it, where you might find
it convenient to scale it, crop it, rotate it and in general engage in an
additional layer of layout operations before submitting the job for printing.
This would require a high-density monitor, though, and even the best of the
monitors available for the Mac II ( we got one as a potential platform ) was
inadequate for the job, realistically speaking. This may still be a hitch to
serious layout and graphic design software, by the way. It's good resolution,
but not _great_ resolution, not _invisible_ resolution.

I've been waiting for two or three years for something to appear on the
market, but it seems to be the same old 300 DPI laser writers. < Sigh. >

I don't see a public domain scanner getting very far - hardware efforts
need physical proximity or some serious self-discipline on the part of
multiple individuals - but I'm interested in seeing this happen, and I'm
interested in helping, if it comes to some genuine development efforts.

>/*    Rich Stewart   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!net1!rich  */

-- richard

--
 *  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *
 *  destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by   *

hutch@celerity.uucp (Jim Hutchison) (08/05/89)

In <1869@ucsd.EDU> rich@net1.ucsd.edu (bmf) writes:
[...]
> Anyway this discussion is for hobby purposes. The software I write
> for a living but the hardware a do at home for fun like any Buckaroo B.
> fan.
Sets the footing as non-print quality scans, perhaps.  What kind of
resolution are we talking about here?  Drums range up to 3-4 digits
to the inch and are generally too large to put on desktops.

[...]
>	The CCD technology relies on either color light bulbs or
>	color filters to reproduce the color in the image. Nasty
>	problems occur here. The spectral response of both the
>	filters and the bulbs tend to look like overlapping upside
>	down u's. So if you are using red, green, and blue filters,
>	there are certain reds greens and blues which do not
>	register at all.
How about using a different color scheme, such as YIQ.  N passes, based
on the response curves of your lights (3 in the case of YIQ).  Likely
this would give you shaky color passes and a good grey pass.  Now just
because YIQ is what's in NTSC doesn't mean that you have to use them
at low bandwidth like NTSC, the bandwidth of the I(cyan->red) and
Q(yellow->blue).  YIQ is designed around human vision, which also has
response curves like "overlapping upside down u's".  For a pleasant
bit of data on YIQ, see "Illumination and Color in Computer Generated
Imagery" by Roy Hall.

[...]
>	Both the CCDs and the Video chips rely on camera lenses to
>	focus the image unfortunately a red, green, and blue light
>	have different focal lengths, so again we have a small
>	sharpness problem.
I guess this could also be seen as a resolution limit?  Isn't this
more of an aperature problem?  I can see wanting a larger aperature
for a faster scan.  If you need the resolution/focus, couldn't you
just crank down the aperature for one or two of the passes?

/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */

poynton@vector.Sun.COM (Charles A. Poynton) (08/08/89)

Jim Hutchison <hutch@celerity.uucp> says:

> How about using a different color scheme, such as YIQ.  N passes, based
> on the response curves of your lights (3 in the case of YIQ).

I and Q, and the related pairs (U and V) and (B-Y and R-Y), are signals
that are ubiquitous in colour television, because the bandwidth of these
signals can be dramatically reduced compared to that of luminance without
visual effect.  These signals are all colour-difference signals, which
means that they are formed by the subtraction of luminance from something
(for example, blue minus luminance).

Each is bipolar, that is, goes negative for some substantial portion of
the spectrum.  No optical filter can be used to extract such a signal from
a scene, because all optical filters are based on absorbing, reflecting,
or transmitting photons.  For practical purposes, there are only positive
contributions from photons, and negative lobes are out.  You can
synthesize negative lobes electronically, but you can't build an optical
filter to do it.

Unless you know really a lot about scanners, stick to RGB of some sort.

C.

-----
Charles A. Poynton                      Sun Microsystems Inc.
<poynton@sun.com>                       2550 Garcia Avenue, MS 8-04
415-336-7846                            Mountain View, CA 94043

"Japan has no laws against damage to its flag, but it has strict laws
forbidding the burning of foreign flags lest this give offense to the
country in question." -- The Economist, July 1, 1989, p. 19.
-----

paj@hrc63.uucp (Mr P Johnson "Baddow") (08/08/89)

In article <5368@ficc.uu.net>, cliff@ficc.uu.net (cliff click) writes:
> the intensity of the reflected light.  Use different colored lasers (or
> filters on a white-light laser??) for different colors.  You probably

There is no such thing as a white laser.  Lasers produce monochromatic light.
White light is a mixture of all frequencies.

You would need three lasers and a mechanism for selecting them.

The rest of the idea, a laser printer based scanner, is pretty neat.

Would a parallel beam of white light work OK? Could it be accurate enough?
What about refraction errors and fringing in the optics?  What about filtered
white light?  How big is the average laser printer laser?  What about
mounting a photo-receptor in place of the laser and generally illuminating
the document?

--
Paul Johnson,         | `The moving finger writes, And having writ, moves on,'
GEC-Marconi Research  |                    Omar Kyham when contemplating `vi'.

saj%yipeia@Sun.COM (Scott A. Jordahl) (08/10/89)

In article <658@hrc63.uucp> paj@hrc63.uucp (Mr P Johnson "Baddow") writes:
>In article <5368@ficc.uu.net>, cliff@ficc.uu.net (cliff click) writes:
>> the intensity of the reflected light.  Use different colored lasers (or
>> filters on a white-light laser??) for different colors.  You probably
>
>There is no such thing as a white laser.  Lasers produce monochromatic light.
WRONG!!  White light lasers DO exists.  I've used many in my time.
Unfortunately, most white light lasers are krypton-ion and are about a
meter in length, are water cooled, and consume LOTS of power (~60 amps).

Except for these minor details, this type of laser would make a GREAT
basis for a desk top scanner. :-)
The white light is indeed a mixture of all colors of the spectrum and can
be broken apart with the use of a prism.

>--
>Paul Johnson,         | `The moving finger writes, And having writ, moves on,'
>GEC-Marconi Research  |                    Omar Kyham when contemplating `vi'.
>The company has put a radio inside my head: it controls everything I say!

/########################################################\
| Scott A. Jordahl                                       |
| UUCP:   saj@yipeia.sun.com                             |
| PHONE:  WK: [415] 336-5463                             |
|         HM: [408] 270-5619                             |
\########################################################/

brian@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (08/10/89)

   Using three monochromatic lasers has a problem: only
colors containing the three wavelengths wavelengths of
the lasers would show up.  A color which only reflects
a narrow bandwidth in-between the colors of the lasers would
show up as black!  (For example, a monochromatic yellow would
be totally missed by monochomatic red light and monochomatic
green light).

   What you need for the scanner is relatively broad-band light
(using filters on white light maybe) so that you can determine
intermediate colors by measuring low level reflections of two
input lights.

Brian Smokefoot              "I never knew I could shape my life
brian@hpfcbdr.HP.COM         like the artist paints his dreams
                             on a canvas." - Minor Detail

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/11/89)

>>There is no such thing as a white laser.  Lasers produce monochromatic light.
>WRONG!!  White light lasers DO exists.  I've used many in my time.
>Unfortunately, most white light lasers are krypton-ion and are about a
>meter in length, are water cooled, and consume LOTS of power (~60 amps).

>The white light is indeed a mixture of all colors of the spectrum and can
>be broken apart with the use of a prism.

"White" krypton lasers are not really white. They contain several
lines that add together to appear whice to the eye. They do
make good color scanner sources, as the lines are in nice places.

The only really white lasers are the very, very shortest pulsed
femtosecond ones, or the continuum generated by focusing short
pulses into water.

This is not really a comp.graphics topic, but it is interesting
to people intereted in things like scanners.

Doug McDonald

In article <46900035@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>"White" krypton lasers are not really white. They contain several
>lines that add together to appear whice to the eye. They do
>make good color scanner sources, as the lines are in nice places.

I am not an expert on lasers, but I came across some info that might be of
interest. On the Discovery Channel there was a piece on medical lasers.

Some surgeons needed different frequencies of lasers for different tasks, so
they were using a Dye laser. From what I could gather, a primary laser excited
a dye which emmitted a secondary laser which could be tuned to almost any
frequency.

Using such a laser maybe you could tune it to Red, Green, or Blue for color
scanning.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Help fight continental drift.

brian@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Brian Rauchfuss) (08/16/89)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>Some surgeons needed different frequencies of lasers for different tasks, so
>they were using a Dye laser. From what I could gather, a primary laser excited
>a dye which emmitted a secondary laser which could be tuned to almost any
>frequency.

A dye laser is pumped by a primary laser and then lases at its characteristic
frequency.  The laser can be fine tuned around this frequency, but to get
a big change in frequency you need to change the dye!  Dyes are availible for
nearly any color.  (Since a dye lasers are relatively cheap, could you have
three of them?  or three dye tubes that use the same mirrors and pump?)

Brian Smokefoot              "... never knowing I could shape my life
brian@hpfcbdr.HP.COM         like the artist paints his dreams
                             on a canvas." - Minor Detail

rich@net1.ucsd.edu (bmf) (08/22/89)

First of all, thanks for the good response. I am working on a
summary of what I have read so far and what I saw at the SPIE show.

But about this laser stuff....

I have been told a white light laser does not exists because
cramming all those frequencies together they start cancelling
out and moving in different directions after some distance.

Tunable lasers are neat, but if they skip any decent size part of
the visible spectrum you loose that color in the image and if it
takes more than a micro second to change frequency, you'll be
scanning for an awfull long time.

Something along the lines of defraction gradings aimed onto a ccd
to read frequencies or other spectral analysis tools may prove
interesting.

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (08/25/89)

>I have been told a white light laser does not exists because
>cramming all those frequencies together they start cancelling
>out and moving in different directions after some distance.

White light lasers, very genuine ones, really do exist. There is one
running right now about 30 feet above my head. The different colors do
come out at different TIMES - but, do you care that one color
comes out 0.0000000000001 second before another? In any case, further
work is expect to get them all coming at out once anyway. Another
factor of three faster pulses and there would indeed be genuine,
all at once, white light. All the colors would come out in
one pulse 0.0000000000000025 second long.

I should add that these lasers are really something to behold. They
generate lots of oohs and aahs from the non-jaded person - laser
tables 5x14x2 feet weighing 5 tons crammed full of hundreds of optical
parts. (This include amplifiers.)

Doug McDonald

sleat@sim.ardent.com (Michael Sleator) (08/26/89)

In article <46900036@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>I have been told a white light laser does not exists because
>>cramming all those frequencies together they start cancelling
>>out and moving in different directions after some distance.

The participants in this discussion would do themselves, eachother,
and all of the observers a favor by defining their terms.  "White light"
is a very ambiguous term in this context.  We seem to have at least two
conflicting interpretations in progress.  One seems to be "radiation with
a more or less continuous spectrum", and the other seems to be "radiation
with sufficient spectral components that it appears white", or something
like that.  The indirect quote above, referring to "all those frequencies",
suggests a continuous spectrum.  The following paragraph seems to be
referring to a "multi-line source"; one that produces multiple
simultaneous (or nearly so) narrow-band outputs that viewed together
appear white.

From my limited knowledge of lasers, I can well believe that there are no
continuous-spectrum lasers.  How would such a beast work?  In what sense
would it even be a laser?  (In my understanding of them, lasers inherently
involve resonance, a notion rather at odds with a continuous spectrum.)
(These are rhetorical questions.  If you want to answer them, I'm quite
sure this is *not* the place to do it.  If you do it somewhere else, send
me a pointer, please.)

>White light lasers, very genuine ones, really do exist. There is one
>running right now about 30 feet above my head. The different colors do
>come out at different TIMES - but, do you care that one color
>comes out 0.0000000000001 second before another? In any case, further
>work is expect to get them all coming at out once anyway. Another
>factor of three faster pulses and there would indeed be genuine,
>all at once, white light. All the colors would come out in
>one pulse 0.0000000000000025 second long.
>
>I should add that these lasers are really something to behold. They
>generate lots of oohs and aahs from the non-jaded person - laser
>tables 5x14x2 feet weighing 5 tons crammed full of hundreds of optical
>parts. (This include amplifiers.)

I'm sure they are, but it doesn't sound as if they're particularly
appropriate for the original application: an optical scanner.  To
corroberate your point that multi-line lasers do exist and to bring
it a little closer to home, I offer the following:

In LASER FOCUS/ELECTRO-OPTICS, vol. 24, no. 12, Dec. 1988, p. 62
there is an advertisement by Nihon Dempa Kogyo Co., Ltd.  ("NDK") for
their "RGB LASER(tm)".  This is a linearly polarized Helium-Cadmium laser,
model RGB300, with the following specs:

	output wavelength	RED	GREEN	BLUE
	(in nanometers)		636.0	537.8	441.6
				635.5	533.7

	output power		> 25mW (total)
	beam diameter		approx 1.0mm (1/e^2)
	beam divergence		approx 0.6mrad (full angle)
	optical noise		<1%

The tag says, "NDK introduces its hollow cathode He-Cd laser commercially
for the first time in the world.  RGB LASER(tm) emits three primary colors,
red, green and blue light, simultaneously and coaxially by a single laser
tube."

Model RGB400 is also available with 100-150mW output.  They don't give
any indication of the relative power outputs at the different wavelengths
for either model.

Note that these are CW lasers, not pulse lasers like the monster described
above.

It doesn't seem that the fact that the red and green outputs are twin lines
would be a significant problem in a scanner application, since the pairs
are quite close together.  In the acompanying photo, they show the end of
the enclosure, which appears to be a table-top box roughly the size one
might expect for a comparable power He-Ne laser.  The beam is shown being
split into red, green, and blue components with a series of dichroic mirrors.
It looks pretty good in the picture...

No mention is made of cost.  Nevertheless, it appears that the technology
is there, and if a market exists, it can probably be made cost effective.
(A thousand bonus points to the first person to report back with news of
a scanner product actually using one!)

Michael Sleator
Ardent Computer
880 W. Maude Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA  94086
408-732-0400
{apple, decwrl, hplabs, ubvax, uunet}!ardent!sleat