[comp.graphics] What's a hologram?

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (08/25/89)

I see some quite different things being called "holograms" and
would like to know what's what.

There are what I have understood to be holograms which are formed
by beam splitting and interference pattern generation on a
photographic medium. These are viewed with a matching coherent
light source and form an image by diffraction effects.

OK, that's what I've been told.

Now, I've seen some things which are just multiple image prints
with a surface molded to form a lens array to get some of the
variable perspective image effects that a hologram as described
above yields (but greatly inferior).

I hear people calling these things "holograms". Is there really
something holographic about them? Or is it just the usual case
of ripping off terminology to describe an imitation?

Then I hear about "white light holograms" in contexts that suggest
"genuine" holography but obviously involve a difference in process.

Can someone who really knows what's going on shed a litlle light?
I daresay I'm not the only one who finds this less than clear.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

halazar@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael Halle) (08/25/89)

Most generally, I guess, a hologram has the ability to record intensity
and phase of light.  That permits the holographic medium to bend light.
Very commonly, this bending is done with a pattern of fringes recorded
in an emulsion.  In the type of hologram with which most people are
familiar, a laser transmission hologram, laser light bouncing off an object
interferes with beam coming straight from the source and produces an
interference pattern (a bunch of fringes, 300 or so per mm) recorded
on a photographic plate.

When lit with an illumination beam of laser light coming from the same
direction as the reference beam, the developed holographic plate sends
out rays of light that exactly duplicate those that came from the original
object.  So you can think of the hologram as a window frozen at exposure,
endlessly replaying light from the object.

A laser transmission hologram is just a blur in white light because
many vertical perspectives of the object, each perpective a different
color, all smear together, the smear proportional to distance from
object to hologram.  To be able to be seen in white light, the object
must be as close as possible to the holographic plate.  In fact, a
laser transmission hologram is often used as a master hologram,
illuminated so as to project an image of the the object out into
space.  The plate is masked so that only one vertical perspective view
is recorded.  A second, or transfer, hologram is placed to straddle
some plane of the projected object.  When this plate is lit with white
light, a spectrally colored image of the object is presented to the
viewer.  This type of hologram is called the rainbow or Benton
hologram.  Using similar techniques, achromatic holograms or full
color holograms can be made.

Real image holograms can only be made of objects stable enough to hold
still during exposure and small enough to fit on a holographic plate.
(The National Geographic globe-o-gram and holographic portraits of
people are made with a pulsed laser, so even relatively instable
objects can be imaged because they can't move very much during the
extremely short exposure.)  Holographic stereograms, on the other
hand, can be made of anything that can be imaged from different
directions.  Holographic stereograms are made by replacing the object
with a projection screen.  A single, 2D perspective view of the object
is projected with laser light onto the screen.  This view can be made
with a movie camera, a scanning electron microscope, or a computer,
for example.  A vertical slit of the holographic plate is exposed to
the projection screen and to a reference beam.  The vertical slit is
then moved and a new perspective view is projected.  This procedure is
repeated a hundred times or so, producing a bunch of eye-pupil-width
"windows" when illuminated, each one a window onto the view projected
when the slit was made.  A two eyed viewer sees one view with one eye,
another view with the other.  The original views are computed so that
these two views are a stereo pair.  As the viewer moves left or right,
different pairs are presented, precisely the views the eyes would see
when viewing the original object.  When this hologram is made white
light viewable, these windows are projected out into space at a
convenient viewing distance.  Holographic stereograms can also be made in
full color.

CGHs, or "computer generated holograms" (sort of a misnomer, as
computers can do much towards making stereograms), are made by
calculating the fringe pattern necessary to bend light to image points
of light in space.  The pattern is typically written onto a substrate
with an electron beam writer.  Because the pattern is so fine,
computation takes a very long time.  As a result, the technology is
not really practical for display holographic purposes right now.  They
are most often used in optical patten matching and other forms of
optical computing.  Dynamic holography, or holographic video, is based
on some aspects of CGH.  The state of the art in holographic video
(last night, or so) is thirty-two scanlines lines of a static, 3D
triangle.

The "surface molded" prints that you are talking about are called
lenticulars.  Lenticulars are much older than holograms, so they
aren't really rip offs of holographic technology.  These images are
recorded photographically, not holographically.  The pattern on the
surface is a whole bunch of cylindrical lenses.  These lenses work
similar to a holographic stereogram in that they project discrete
images of the object out to different positions in space.  The image
is recorded on a print behind the lenses.  Only a small number of
views can be recorded, so the image repeats as you move from side to
side.  In fact, at some positions, the left and right views may be
reversed, producing an inside out, or pseudoscopic, image.
Lenticulars are thus cheaper to make but have a lower image quality
than holographic stereograms.

It's great to see curiosity about 3D, especially multi-perspective
technologies.  After all, people don't have two eyes just to fill
their faces.

						--Michael Halle
						  Spatial Imaging Group
						  MIT Media Laboratory

andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (08/25/89)

The article by Michael was great. I wonder if the slowness of the computer-
generated method is limited by compute MIPs or by the electron beam-writing
speed?
What progress is being made in materials science so as to approach 60Hz
frame rates for holograms?
Can multiple laser arrays be used in any way in this regard? - recently,
it was reported that several thousand lasers have been fabricated on a
semiconductor substrate...
Andrew Palfreyman	There's a good time coming, be it ever so far away,
andrew@berlioz.nsc.com	That's what I says to myself, says I,
time sucks					   jolly good luck, hooray!

talent@dover.sps.mot.com (Steve Talent) (08/25/89)

In article <2330@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:

>I see some quite different things being called "holograms" and
[stuff deleted]
>Can someone who really knows what's going on shed a litlle light?

holos- from Latin, Greek meaning whole or complete
-gram  from Latin, Greek meaning record.

hologram = complete record

A hologram is a device that records a whole image.  That is, when you view
a hologram you are viewing a reconstruction of the light waves reflected from
the object when the hologram was recorded.

[disclaimer - I am not an expert in this field but I did a lot of reading and
some experimentation as a student (1972-1980)]

--
Steve Talent, Motorola Semiconductor Products Sector CAD
Mesa, AZ  602-994-6801,  ...!{oakhill, sun!sunburn, uunet}!dover!talent

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (08/26/89)

In article <681@berlioz.nsc.com> andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) writes:

>The article by Michael was great. I wonder if the slowness of the computer-
>generated method is limited by compute MIPs or by the electron beam-writing
>speed?

I think the problem is with computer MIPs.

example:
you wish to make a 1" by 1" CGH.  you choose to illuminate it with a
HeNe laser (wavelength about .5 microns).  During the calculation of
the intensity values you would use a 2-D array consisting of 50,800
elements on a side.  Thats a total of 2,580,640,000 elements in the array.
(The array represents the hologram plane)

BTW, 50,800 * .5 microns = 1".  Now, for each point on the object you
must calculate the light intensity from that point to every point on
the hologram plane.  The calculation involves taking a Sine, Cosine,
several multiplies, etc.

So, if there are 1000 points describing the object, you've got some
2 trillion very complicated calculations to make.

end example.

I've calculated it would take a Sun 4 about 280 days to make this
calculation.  A Cray2 about 6 days.

All of these numbers change drastically if you choose to convert
the problem such that Fourier analysis is applicable.  But, this
doesn't seem to work too well for 3-D holography.

tom
.

hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) (08/29/89)

In article <1311@blackbird.afit.af.mil> tmouser@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Tommy A. Mouser) writes:
>I've calculated it would take a Sun 4 about 280 days to make this
>calculation.  A Cray2 about 6 days.
How did you figure this out (A Cray2-?)?  Generating 3-D imagery does not
always take 280 days on a Sun 4, what is it that makes this problem so unusual.

>All of these numbers change drastically if you choose to convert
>the problem such that Fourier analysis is applicable.  But, this
>doesn't seem to work too well for 3-D holography.

3-D holography would seem very suited to Fourier analysis, if for nothing
else than to compress the data.  On top of that, you could conveniently
combine data by merging series.  You could build 3-D molecular models without
recomputing all the parts, just rotate individual pieces.

/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/30/89)

In article <2330@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:

> I see some quite different things being called "holograms" and
> would like to know what's what.
>
> There are what I have understood to be holograms which are formed
> by beam splitting and interference pattern generation on a
> photographic medium. These are viewed with a matching coherent
> light source and form an image by diffraction effects.
IMHO a hologram, be it produced by a computer, using lasers with
reference beams or an Etch-A-Sketch must reproduce both the
amplitude (actually intensity) *AND* the phase (more precisely
the relative phase).  If either of the above are missing then
*I* don't consider it a hologram, though some things are closer
than others.
> Now, I've seen some things which are just multiple image prints
> with a surface molded to form a lens array to get some of the
> variable perspective image effects that a hologram as described
> above yields (but greatly inferior).
I doubt this is a hologram.
> Then I hear about "white light holograms" in contexts that suggest
> "genuine" holography but obviously involve a difference in process.

By my definition, I'm not sure.  They sacrifice the 3D aspect in one
dimension in order to be able to use white light for reproduction.  A
professor of mine once said that they used the missing dimension (eg.
vertical 3D) to select a part of the white light to do the reprod-
uction.  White light holograms do appear in a sort of prism of light
effect.  I have said nothing about whether a hologram has to be 3D,
so (IMHO) that does not disqualify a white light hologram.  I doubt
they preserve phase explicitly, but it must be there implicitly.

Hmmm?

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or