[comp.graphics] Suntools vs. Xwindows

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (07/03/89)

Sun has been warning users of the demise of Suntools since its Sun-2 Suntools
releases in 1985.  They recognized defects of machine dependence, resolution
dependence, network ignorance, and kernal resource hogging of this early
object-oriented graphics interface.  The intended cure was the PostScript and
object-oriented NeWS window system.  However, since Sun was three years late
in delivering this (1990 instead of 1987), both XWindows and Display Postscript
with similar remedies have become defacto standards.  The Suntools replacement
called Open Windows (this month) provides a Suntool emulator called XView
and another window system called Open Look.  Both run ontop of NeWS and
X11.  Both are shipping in beta to developers and are displayed at trade
shows.

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/03/89)

Suntools is a true event-driven winowing/User interface system,
which uses a notification scheme based on SIGNALS.

The comments about X being brain-damaged are because it is occasionally
imposible to tell who or what caused a certain event -- Its design goals
of network transparency and low network loading were a trade-off.

Neither is a RENDERING system -- Sun supports CGI and GKS, and I am
not qualified to say, but I suppose there are X-based GKS and other
rendering systems.

A note about future compatibility of Suntools and X -- t'ain't so.
SunViews and X will be "merged", but many of the low-level calls
and operations on pixrects will no longer be supported in the same
way.  In short, there is no such thing as endless upward compatibility.
But, hey, that's progress. If you've seen one redwood, ... :-)
:-)
:-)
:-(

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

mongo@helios (Mongo Package) (07/06/89)

In article <18220@usc.edu> annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
>In article <3290@portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>>The distinction between Suntools and XWindows will disappear in the
>>near future in a Sun product called XView.  See Sun's compatibility
>>package for portions of old Suntools that won't be supported (about 10%).
>I hope this prediction never comes to pass.  I have used Suntools, SunCore,
>and X11R3 pretty extensively in the past six months.  My opinions follow:

People who are relying on SunCore or SunCGI should take a look at the latest
doc-sets which clearly announce that Sun will not be continuing to support
either of these packages.  The only 2-d "standard" left will be SunGKS.

The best information that I have been able to get about SunView is this:
The X11/NeWS server will be bundled with SunOS 4.1; however, SunView will
also still be shipped with SunOS 4.1.  This gives us the option of using
a network-based window system or the smaller-and-still-faster SunView.

Sun has also given the impression that the faster/better frame buffers
which will be available in the future may not be driveable as "dumb" frame
buffers.  Exactly what this means is not clear to me, other than that it
is probably unwise not to upgrade software to use the "currently trendy"
graphics interface.

Steve Allen
These can't be the opinions of the University of California.
See your Sun rep. for more details.

borg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.w.meeks) (07/06/89)

>A note about future compatibility of Suntools and X -- t'ain't so.
>SunViews and X will be "merged", but many of the low-level calls
>and operations on pixrects will no longer be supported in the same
>way.  In short, there is no such thing as endless upward compatibility.
>But, hey, that's progress. If you've seen one redwood, ... :-)
XView is NOT ``merged'' X and Sunview. XView is a X toolkit which looks
much like Sunview. Sun is merging X and NeWS.

cheers, --dwm

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (08/08/89)

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (08/08/89)

In article <3466@uokmax.UUCP> randy@uokmax.UUCP (Longshot) writes:
| In the name of avoiding senseless arguments,
| please pass this thread up if you have not
| used both.

Also, I would appreciate an indication of the context of your comments.
Such as "I only want speed", "I really want ease of porting", "I want
flexibility", etc.  Knowing your attitude/bias makes it easier for
others to decide how it applies to them.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (08/08/89)

In article <3290@portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>The distinction between Suntools and XWindows will disappear in the
>near future in a Sun product called XView.  See Sun's compatibility
>package for portions of old Suntools that won't be supported (about 10%).

I hope this prediction never comes to pass.  I have used Suntools, SunCore,
and X11R3 pretty extensively in the past six months.  My opinions follow:

    o  Suntools -- This package includes a relatively small easy to learn
       set of calls that are needed to actually get a graphics application
       up and running.  Linked executable programs appear to be the smallest
       of the three packages.  As a consequence, given Sun's newest memory
       management philosophy (let quiescent programs occupy as much memory
       as possible so that new programs need to swap out old code to make
       any room for the new code to run ... a "great" way to sell memory),
       this means that applications start up quickly, windows pop up rapidly,
       and the system does not get bogged down thrashing pages to/from disk.
       Suntools is ideal if all you want is a small raster to load images or
       paint vectors.  Good for highly interactive programs.

    o  SunCore -- Built on top of sunwindows.  Provides a richer set of calls
       to draw more complex objects with a wide variety of viewing transforms
       for 3d images.  Somewhat slower than suntools because linked executable
       programs are bigger.  But, if you want nice 2d & 3d viewing transforms
       and other sophisticated graphics package features then SunCore is the
       package for you.  [SunGKS / SunPHIGS are also good at these operations].

    o  X11R3 -- Right now, at most academic institutions, this package appears
       to be either wholly unsupported or poorly supported.  A broad knowledge
       of the package is required to be able to write even the simplest window
       program (try "hello world" in all three packages and I guarantee you
       will agree with this opinion ... then try 256 color pseudo color image
       display in all three packages).  As a consequence, generalist campus
       computer center support organizations will find this package unwieldy.
       Also, while the package is available (in source code format) for free,
       no outside organization appears to supply expertise to back up campus
       consultants when they get in over their heads.  This package is what I
       would consider ideal for training computer science hackers and people
       who want to get into the graphics market for fun and profit.  Because
       it is available in source code form, modifications to the source code
       and recompilation are the only reasonable fix for many problems now.
       X11R3 is three generations into a major release of an academic product.
       Nevertheless, unless you have a good X11 hacker in your back pocket, I
       would shy away from this package for serious development work.  On the
       other hand, if you want to spend many hours plowing through volumes of
       documentation then I would consider buying the O'Reilly & Associates
       three volume reference set on the X Window System, ftp their source code
       for examples to your site, and try to get their examples to work before
       moving onto your own project.  Also take a look at xim image processing
       package for an example of how to handle 256 color images.

       On the other hand, if you want to write machine independent "C" graphics
       programs (that run on 32 bit machines efficiently) then you should look
       at X11R3.  If you need to distribute image generation (the client task)
       from image display (the server task) over a local area network (or even
       over a medium speed long range network like internet) then use X11R3.
       If you need to generate images on one vendor's host (cray) and display
       them on another vendor's server (sun) then use X11R3.  But, if you want
       to generate images and display them on them same machine (e.g. one Sun)
       then you better pony up a substantial amount of memory and processing
       capacity (4mb SUN-III/60's make good servers ... but running several
       substanial client tasks together with the server task on one machine
       can bring my 8mb SUN-III/160C to its knees).

       In the future, PEX (the PHIGS Extension to X) should provide 3d viewing
       transformations and other sophisticated graphics support.  But the first
       public release still appears to be at least a year away.  A good version
       (with most of the initial bugs removed) won't be available for at least
       two years.

       X consumes a lot of resources ... people, memory, and processing ... but
       it is free and more or less machine independent.

These are my opinions only ... based on my own experience with each of these
packages ... I invite other opinions ... and corrections of any errors ... as
unintended as errors are meant to be.

Best of luck, AJ

randy@uokmax.UUCP (Longshot) (08/09/89)

In the name of avoiding senseless arguments,
please pass this thread up if you have not
used both.

I am trying to decide which is an easier environment
to work with, for programming graphics-based applica-
tions. We have both X11R3 and Suntools. I have yet to
actually try to write something with X, pending a
reference manual for the library which is en route to
me (I hope) courtesy of LCIS. I have typed in some
demos from Suntools. Boy, you guys at Sun sure believe
in strong typing, eh? Anyhow, if you have some
rudimentary exposure to both, I would value your
opinion. Ideally, I should try to work both. But I am
entering my senior year, this is not a project for
credit, and I have ony so much time.

Randy
--
Randy J. Ray       University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma	(405)/325-5370
!texsun!uokmax!randy	randy@uokmax.uucp    randy@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

ari@kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu (08/15/89)

Stay away from Suntools.  I have done programming in it and it is a pain.
It is unobject oriented and it is hard to make a standard widget or
even adapt the current ones to do what you would like without
severe headaches.

Anyway, SUN is converting to X in the near (or far?) future.

I think the Xtoolkit is at least adaptable from other accounts
(still not wonderful).  And MOTIF etc. will be available which
gives you a large set of widgets from HP/DEC etc.

ari

jarnot@canisius.UUCP (Kevin Jarnot) (08/16/89)

In article <7600001@kolmogorov>, ari@kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu writes:

> Stay away from Suntools.  I have done programming in it and it is a pain.
> It is unobject oriented and it is hard to make a standard widget or
> even adapt the current ones to do what you would like without
> severe headaches.

	Well, I assume you mean SunWindow and not SunTools.  SunTools
was written in SunWindow if I'm not mistaken.  Anyways, I've always
enjoyed working in SunWindow and I'll also disagree that it is
"unobject oriented".  It's as close as you can get to object oriented
in C.  The interfaces are nice and clean and VERY easy to set up.  You
can get a half decent window interface created in hours.

--
  ...!{decvax|watmath|allegra|rocksvax}!sunybcs!canisius!jarnot
                      jarnot@klaatu.cs.canisius.edu

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (08/17/89)

In article <2439@canisius.UUCP>, jarnot@canisius.UUCP (Kevin Jarnot) writes:
> I've always
> enjoyed working in SunWindow and I'll also disagree that it is
> "unobject oriented".  It's as close as you can get to object oriented
> in C.  The interfaces are nice and clean and VERY easy to set up.  You
> can get a half decent window interface created in hours.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this.  SunWindow and SunView are not
object oriented.  They have none of the standard object oriented
features such as classing and inheritance.  They're easy to use if the
standard panel items meet your needs, but writing your own is
impossible unless you buy a source licence (which Sun may or may not be
willing to sell you).  The X Toolkit, on the other hand, allows
classing and inheritance.  Writing your own X Toolkit widgets (the
equivalent of Sun panel items) is relatively easy.

If you don't want to write your own widgets, the existing X Toolkit
widget sets (such as Open Look from AT&T, DECwindows from DEC, and
Motif from OSF) are much richer (more powerful and flexible) than the
SunView set.  Other than that, the programming interfaces to SunView
and to the X Toolkit are very similar.  In most cases, neither is
easier to use.

Ken

borg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.w.meeks) (08/21/89)

Isn't this kinda a null point? Sun is not going to support sunview
or suntools much longer anyway. They are going to their X/NeWS merge
and using xview, a sunview like X toolkit, as an advertised way to
port existing sunview applications.

cheers, --dwm

clh@tacitus.tfic.bc.ca (Chris Hermansen) (08/27/89)

For those of you who haven't read your 4.0.3 docs carefully, you might all
take note that SunCORE and SunCGI are not supported after 4.0.3, either.
The story is that you'll be able to buy the source if you want to...

rich@net1.ucsd.edu (bmf) (08/30/89)

In article <2568@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> borg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (daniel.w.meeks,ihp,) writes:
>Isn't this kinda a null point? Sun is not going to support sunview
>or suntools much longer anyway. They are going to their X/NeWS merge
>and using xview, a sunview like X toolkit, as an advertised way to
>port existing sunview applications.
>

>cheers, --dwm

I thought X/NeWS was at least a year away from supporting full color
on the Sun (24 bit). A year is a long time to wait if that is what
your product needs.

-Rich

/*    Rich Stewart   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!net1!rich  */