[comp.graphics] Voyager pictures

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (08/30/89)

The relatively poor quality of images posted on the net or in the JPL press
kit are adequate for education and pleasure.
If one wishes to do serious science, that is, needs to know the value and context
of the original pixels themselves, join forces with the JPL primary investigators
and work with the original data.

It was amazing how fast the JPL were able to generate the topographic
flybys of Triton shown on TV yesterday.  I suppose there canned software at
both Pixar and JPL that given a topography, texture, and flyby path can
routinely generate a flyby movie.  The greater challange is measuring
topography.  I understand this can be done two ways: (1) comparing multiple
views, (2) measuring the size of shadows.  I think Triton---The Movie was
the latter.

watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) (08/31/89)

In article <4949@portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>It was amazing how fast the JPL were able to generate the topographic
>flybys of Triton shown on TV yesterday.

It also amazes me how far computer graphics has advanced since Voyager
started on its journey in 1977.

Someday when they do a documentary on Voyager's entire journey,
I hope they use the old graphics so we can remember what it was like
way back then.

P.S.  Today we pulled the plug on our last Xerox SIGMA 9 computer.
        We had a nice little wake for it.  I wonder what  the world
        will be like when pull the plug on our last Sun. :-)

John S. Watson, Civil Servant from Hell        ARPA: watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center                      UUCP:  ...!ames!watson
Any opinions expressed herein are, like, solely the responsibility of the, like,
author and do not, like, represent the opinions of NASA or the U.S. Government.

leech@cezanne.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (09/02/89)

In article <31083@ames.arc.nasa.gov> watson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson) writes:
>It also amazes me how far computer graphics has advanced since Voyager
>started on its journey in 1977.
>
>Someday when they do a documentary on Voyager's entire journey,
>I hope they use the old graphics so we can remember what it was like
>way back then.

    Actually, at the end of the last Voyager Update on NASA Select (4
PM PDT 8/29), there was a several minute sequence including a lot of
Jim Blinn's early Voyager footage.