[comp.graphics] graphics languages bibliography

ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) (09/11/89)

I'm doing research on computer languages for 2-D and 3-D graphics,
so I'd like to collect a bibliography of references to previous work.
I'm interested in languages to describe 2-D or 3-D shape, color, shading,
texture, lighting, animation, dynamics, ... the works.

Examples of graphics languages:
    Postscript - 2-D page description [Warnock et al]
    Renderman shading language - describe shading functions [Hanrahan, Cook,etc]
    DIAL - Brown University's animation language [Feiner, Salesin, Banchoff]
    ASAS - Actor-based animation scripting [Reynolds]
    ? - Thalmann's 3-D animation languages

If you have a good bibliography then please email it to me and I'll summarize
and post the results.

Many thanks!

Paul Heckbert, CS grad student
508-7 Evans Hall, UC Berkeley		ARPA: ph@miro.berkeley.edu
Berkeley, CA 94720			UUCP: ucbvax!miro.berkeley.edu!ph

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (09/11/89)

In article <17050@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) writes:
>I'm doing research on computer languages for 2-D and 3-D graphics,
>so I'd like to collect a bibliography of references to previous work.
>I'm interested in languages to describe 2-D or 3-D shape, color, shading,
>texture, lighting, animation, dynamics, ... the works.

Don't forget the long history of CORE->GKS->PHIGS->PHIG++ "standardizations".
There are several books about GKS.  These standards basically assume vector
hardware models and did not understand raster graphics very well.  Apple
computer gave raster graphics to the masses in the mid-1980s with the Mac
and the LaserWriter.