[comp.graphics] contribute to a new book!

glassner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Andrew Glassner) (08/08/89)

CONTRIBUTE TO A NEW BOOK FOR COMPUTER GRAPHICS PROGRAMMERS!

Contributions are solicited for a new book, tentatively
titled GRAPHICS GEMS.  This book will be a collection of
short notes by and for computer graphics programmers and
researchers.  The basic idea is to create a book similar
to the CRC Mathematics Handbook, only tailored to
the subject of computer graphics.

The motivation for Graphics Gems comes from a desire to
document and share the many techniques that are a necessary
part of every graphics programmer's toolbox, yet don't appear
in the standard literature.  Each Gem represents a solution
to a problem: not necessarily a research result, nor even a
deep observation, but simply a good, practical technique
for dealing with a typical computer graphics programming
problem.  A typical Gem may be a code fragment, a short analysis
of an interesting problem, a bit of mathematics, a data structure,
or a geometric relationship.

Here are some appropriate topics for Gems - this list
contains only a few suggestions for topics that might
be covered by interesting Gems, and is far from complete:

Two Dimensions: Fill, smooth, blur, dither, 2d plots,
line drawing, curve drawing, bounding boxes,
overlapping boxes, efficient bitblit (example: automatic
selection of tick marks on a plot).

Three Dimensions: Scan conversion, highlight detection,
shading, isosurfaces, ray intersection, form factor
calculation, visibility, texturing, transformations,
deformations, smoothing, 3d plotting, parameterizations,
surface subdivision, texturing functions, bounding boxes
(example: fast shading formulae).

Graphics: Colormap hacking, object manipulations,
sampling, filtering, optics, interaction techniques,
modelling primitives, efficient rendering, edge detection
(example: reconstruction from stochastic sampling).

General Math: Algebra, calculus, geometry (e.g. why normals
don't move under the same transformations as surfaces).

Programming: Numerical integration, root finding, root polishing,
data structures (objects), data structures (programs), inner loops,
interactive debugging, graphical debugging, color map hacking,
over- and under-flow detection and correction, unusual functions
(e.g. polynomial root-finding).

Most Gems will be about 1 or 2 final printed pages (4 or 5 pages
of typewritten, double-spaced manuscript), though if you choose
to include source code the listings may run longer.  Rough figures
and equations will be professionally redrawn by the publisher.
Each contributor will have a chance to review the final copy for
his or her Gems before publication.  Each Gem will be clearly
identified with the name and affiliation of its contributor(s).

If you have developed a nice solution to a problem that others
might encounter, be it a data structure, an inner loop, or
even an algebraic simplification that makes your programs shorter
and more robust, then it would probably make a splendid Graphics Gem.
Write it up and send it to the editor at the address below, either
in hardcopy or electronic mail.  Acceptable formats are plain text,
nroff, TeX, MacWrite, and Microsoft Word (Macintosh).  I would
like to receive a rough draft of all Gems by November 1989.

Contribute and share your favorite tricks and techniques with
the rest of the community!
Send your Graphics Gems to:

Andrew Glassner
Editor, Graphics Gems
Xerox PARC
3333 Coyote Hill Road
Palo Alto, CA  94304  USA
email: glassner.pa@xerox.com
phone: (415) 494 - 4467

glassner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Andrew Glassner) (09/10/89)

Now that the school year has begun, I am reposting the announcement
below.  I encourage students, as well as professionals, to consider
contributing to this new book - a "cookbook" of useful graphics
algorithms, ideas, and structures.  Contributions don't have to be
earth-shatteringly brilliant, just useful to yourself and others.
Together, we can create a valuable reference work that will help us all!

---------

[...]

fax: (415) 494 - 4241

Kenneth.Maier@branch.FIDONET.ORG (Kenneth Maier) (09/11/89)

Andrew,
  Unfortunately I don't have the graphics experience to contribute but
please sign me up for the first copy!  I think this book would be a
TREMENDOUS help if it manages to get published!  Good Luck!

  -Kenneth

--
Kenneth Maier via FidoNet node 1:369/11
UUCP: {attctc,<internet>!mthvax}!ankh,novavax!branch!Kenneth.Maier

bouma@cs.purdue.EDU (William J. Bouma) (09/12/89)

In article <2899@arisia.Xerox.COM> glassner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Andrew Glassner) writes:
>Now that the school year has begun, I am reposting the announcement
>below.  I encourage students, as well as professionals, to consider
>contributing to this new book - a "cookbook" of useful graphics
>algorithms, ideas, and structures.  Contributions don't have to be
>earth-shatteringly brilliant, just useful to yourself and others.
>Together, we can create a valuable reference work that will help us all!
>---------

   Perhaps, but mostly it will help the guy who puts this book
   together on his way to the bank!

   Who is to make profit from the sales of this book?

   If I contribute, do I at least get a free copy?

   It just seems like the contributors are not getting much out
   of their efforts other than a good feeling for helping their
   fellow man. The person that simply collects together the work
   of all these others stands to make cash. Is that fair?
--
Bill <bouma@cs.purdue.edu>  ||  ...!purdue!bouma