[comp.graphics] Phigs Book Recommendations Wanted

robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu (Robert R. Schneider) (09/09/89)

Hi;

I would be interested in any recommendations that anyone may have for a
good book(s) on programming with Phigs.  I have a number of users who have
a fair knowledge of programming in either FORTRAN or C and some knowledge
of graphics in general but are asking for something that would tell them
how to do things with Phigs.  The manual sets we have are pretty good at
documenting function calls and the general use of how a particular function
works but don't offer much in terms of a overall introduction to Phigs itself.
If you have had any experience with any of the books which are out there on
Phigs I'd appreciate finding out what is good or bad.

Thanks ...

Robert Schneider

+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|Robert Schneider                     |  Internet: robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu|
|Department of Petroleum Engineering  |  BITNET: pefv673@utchpc             |
|University of Texas at Austin        |  THEnet: PERV::ROBERT               |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

trstriep@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/12/89)

When I first started using PHIGS (about 1 year ago) I looked for anything
about it.  The only things I could find were very general type descriptions
or language binding manuals, neither of which are very useful for learning
to use PHIGS.  I ended up looking at demo programs and modifing them.

Sorry I can't give you a more positive suggestion.  If you hear of
anything please post it.

	Jeff Terstriep  - Rivers Project
        National Center for SuperComputing Applications

	Internet :  jefft@ncsa.uiuc.edu
	BITNet   :  jterstriep@ncsavmsa

jch@apollo.HP.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (09/12/89)

> From: robert@perv.pe.utexas.edu (Robert R. Schneider)
> Subject: Phigs Book Recommendations Wanted
> Date: 8 Sep 89 19:17 GMT

> I would be interested in any recommendations that anyone may have for a
> good book(s) on programming with Phigs.  I have a number of users who have
> a fair knowledge of programming in either FORTRAN or C and some knowledge
> of graphics in general but are asking for something that would tell them
> how to do things with Phigs.  The manual sets we have are pretty good at
> documenting function calls and the general use of how a particular function
> works but don't offer much in terms of a overall introduction to Phigs itself.
> If you have had any experience with any of the books which are out there on
> Phigs I'd appreciate finding out what is good or bad.

I think our tech writers did a great job of exploring PHIGS and writing
about it. Programming with Domain/PHIGS is to my knowledge the best book
on PHIGS that exists at this time. Non-biased, third parties have agreed
with this statement. It is chock full of "how tos", example code and
diagrams. The vast majority of it is generic PHIGS stuff ( not
Domain/PHIGS specific ).

        Programming with Domain/PHIGS
        275 pages
        part number 009701-A00

You can get it with a credit card by calling "Apollo Direct" 1-800-225-5290.

There is also, Domain/PHIGS Call Reference, part number 009702-A00 but
you probably have enough things like it. We also sell software and
hardware :-).

-Jan Hardenbergh     - jch@apollo.com -  (508)-260-6600x5773
Hewlett Packard / Graphics Technology Division at Apollo