[comp.graphics] HP RenderMan anyone?

ferneau@hpindda.HP.COM (Mark Ferneau) (09/08/89)

Has anyone created a renderer for the HP9000/300 systems based on the
RenderMan standard by Pixar?

For those of you that are not familiar with RenderMan, it is an extensible
interface specification for rendering.  "Tin Toy" was rendered with a
program designed to RenderMan specs.  There is a new book on the market
by Steve Upstill, entitled "The RenderMan Companion".  The book is full
of programming examples and some terrific colorplates.

Mark Ferneau                    |       ferneau%hpda@hplabs.hp.com

Kenneth.Maier@branch.FIDONET.ORG (Kenneth Maier) (09/11/89)

MF> Has anyone created a renderer for the HP9000/300 systems based on the
MF> RenderMan standard by Pixar?

 If you find out any information I would appreciate you sending it this
way too.  I know some people (myself included) that are looking for
what you are talking about.  Thanks...

  -Kenneth

--
Kenneth Maier via FidoNet node 1:369/11
UUCP: {attctc,<internet>!mthvax}!ankh,novavax!branch!Kenneth.Maier

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (09/12/89)

In article <1128.250ADC7F@branch.FIDONET.ORG> Kenneth.Maier@branch.FIDONET.ORG (Kenneth Maier) writes:
>MF> Has anyone created a renderer for the HP9000/300 systems based on the
>MF> RenderMan standard by Pixar?

I was under the impression that Pixar would be selling a developer's toolkit
for RenderMan (if not already).   Ardent did this with Dore.  The toolkit
would contain front end routines and some generic drivers (probably Sun and
a raster file).  Then the developer could replace the generic routines
with device dependent accelerators.