[comp.graphics] Inquiry about RGB-to-video adapters

raveling@venera.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (08/23/89)

	This message is from Richard Outerbridge of Dalhousie University
	in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who has read-only access to news.
	I'm only forwarding it, so please reply directly to him
	by email if possible.  The net address that's been working
	from our own ARPANET mail service is RAMO@AC.DAL.CA.

I would like to be able to record some computer images on video tape for
later redisplay in a classroom setting. I have access to several video boards
at present all of which produce some form of analog RGB output, none of which
produce NTSC/composite color signals. I think what I need is either a low
cost converter from RGB to Composite, or a video card which has suitable video
out capabilities. I don't need particularly high resolution but lots of colours
would be very nice.

I've already talked to lots of folks who think it ought to be do-able, but none
who actually know how.

Can anyone with any suggestions at all please contact me directly (as opposed
to through the list where you might have seen this).

I'm RAMO@DALAC (bitnet).

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (08/24/89)

In article <9397@venera.isi.edu> RAMO@AC.DAL.CA (Richard Outerbridge) writes:

>I would like to be able to record some computer images on video tape for
>later redisplay in a classroom setting. I have access to several video boards
>at present all of which produce some form of analog RGB output, none of which
>produce NTSC/composite color signals. I think what I need is either a low
>cost converter from RGB to Composite, or a video card which has suitable video
>out capabilities. I don't need particularly high resolution but lots of colours
>would be very nice.
>
>I've already talked to lots of folks who think it ought to be do-able, but none
>who actually know how.

I have one suggestion:
	GET AN AMIGA!!!

--

                                   |*******************************************|
	-Compliments of	       /// |* All thoughts and comments are soley     *|

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/24/89)

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell) writes:
> RAMO@AC.DAL.CA (Richard Outerbridge) writes:
>>
>> I would like to be able to record some computer images on video tape...
>>

> I have one suggestion:
> 	GET AN AMIGA!!!

     *FLAME ON*      *AMIGA-USER FLAME-SHIELD ON*

Thanks, Fred, but I think Richard wanted constructive advice, not
mindless amiga user drivel. Comments like that are marginally cute
for amiga users only. You really didn't have to waste all that effort
to post your message just to say _that_.

>-Compliments of	      /// |* All thoughts and comments are soley     *|
> 	 Fred Mitchell	  \\\///  |* thoses of The Author and has nothing to *|
> 			   \XX/   |* do with Commodore-Amiga.		     *|

Fred, your previous messages have been reasonable, productive and
useful. I don't know why you had to post this last one, though...
"Compliments?" If you have the urge to do this again, well, spare us.

     *FLAME OFF*     *I THINK I'LL LEAVE THE FLAME-SHIELD UP...*

OK... now what does "QA" stand for?

Adam  (PS: No flames, please: that's what the shield is for.)

--
"Offer me anything I ask for..."      (mail address in message header)
"Anything you want."                                                   "Moof!"

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (08/24/89)

Richard Outerbridge writes:

> I would like to be able to record some computer images on video tape for
> later redisplay in a classroom setting. I have access to several video
> boards at present all of which produce some form of analog RGB output,
> none of which produce NTSC/composite color signals. I think what I need
> is either a low cost converter from RGB to Composite, or a video card
> which has suitable video out capabilities. I don't need particularly
> high resolution but lots of colours would be very nice.

From your reference to your having video boards I am guessing that you
are talking IBM|clone PC here as opposed to Atari|Mac|Amiga etc.

The following is taken from an article the Aug 8-21 issue of _Bay_Area_
Computer_Currents_:

| Jovian Logic (Fremont, CA [USA, of course]) makes an external box that
| works with an existing VGA card. This makes it somewhat cheaper for a
| user who already owns a VGA board. The box plugs into the VGA socket
| at the back of the PC and then connects to a VGA monitor and to a
| normal NTSC video socket on a television or VCR. The box, called VIN,
| retails for $495. Jovian Logic can be reached at (415) 651-4823.

| USVideo Inc. (Stamford, CT) produces a board called the USVideo
| Recordable VGA. This is a separate card that should be used instead of
| any existing VGA card. It costs $799 and has a built-in Genlock
| capability, which the others lack. ... USVideo can be reached at
| (800) 842-8780.

| Willow Peripherals (New York, NY) produces the VGA-TV, another VGA card
| with NTSC output. This, too, replaces any existing VGA card. It costs
| $699. Willow Peripherals can be reached at (212) 402-0010.

The by-line on this material is --Owen Linderholm.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/25/89)

Tell us a little more about the RGB signals that you want to
convert to NTSC video.  If they are standard horizontal and
vertical scan rates with interlacing then it may not be too
difficult.  If they are non-standard then doing it cheaply
may be impossible.

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (08/29/89)

In article <579@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
>mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell) writes:
>> RAMO@AC.DAL.CA (Richard Outerbridge) writes:
>>>
>>> I would like to be able to record some computer images on video tape...
>>>

>> I have one suggestion:
>> 	GET AN AMIGA!!!
>
>     *FLAME ON*      *AMIGA-USER FLAME-SHIELD ON*
>
>Thanks, Fred, but I think Richard wanted constructive advice, not
>mindless amiga user drivel. Comments like that are marginally cute
>for amiga users only. You really didn't have to waste all that effort
>to post your message just to say _that_.

Gee, guy! Calm down! It's just that nearly everything Richard was describing
is what the Amiga would be the perfect, low-cost solution for! In fact,
I think it might even be cost-effective for him to do just that (though
I do not have his original requirements in front of me). It was not intended
to be condescending or teasing in any way. But why walk a mile when a mere
step is sufficient? As for Richard, he must weigh out the best solution based
on his own time/money/resource constraints. That was just merely a suggestion
and perhaps done in a jovial way. Is a sense of humor a crime around here?
Geez, lighten up! :-)

I've always wondered why some of the users of other computers get so
up-in-arms when you even *mention* a different machine. Grow up.

--

                                   |*******************************************|

In article <7766@cbmvax.UUCP>, mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) writes:
> In article <579@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
> >Thanks, Fred, but I think Richard wanted constructive advice, not
> >mindless amiga user drivel. [flame continues]

> I've always wondered why some of the users of other computers get so
> up-in-arms when you even *mention* a different machine. Grow up.

Seconded. If you just want video-quality output the Amiga is a perfectly
good alternative, and probably a factor of 10 cheaper than anything that's
better. Some of the alternatives are a *lot* better, of course, but if
price is relevent then it's worth at least a look.

Disclaimer: I've got an Amiga. I also have an Atari, and I've used a wide
variety of other machines. I recently recommended that my brother get a
Macintosh for desktop publishing. I frequently recommend the Amiga on the
net, because it's (still) way ahead of the competition for a number of
applications... not because I bought one or because I swallowed CBM's
marketing department. To the contrary, I put off buying any computer for
over 6 years while waiting for something like it. Not what you'd call a
snap decision.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (08/29/89)

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell) writes:
> That was just merely a suggestion and perhaps done in a jovial way.
> Is a sense of humor a crime around here? Geez, lighten up! :-)

No, Fred it isn't. If you're joking, please put a ":-)" after your
statements. I apparently interpreted your message differently than
you had intended.

> I've always wondered why some of the users of other computers get so
> up-in-arms when you even *mention* a different machine.

I didn't get upset because you mentioned (eerie music on) a "different
machine" (eerie music off). I actually didn't even get upset. I just
thought that he deserved a real answer to his question, not some
possibly confusing suggestion that he was using the wroing hardware.
Who knows what level of computer experience he had attained. I just
didn't think he should be confused, that's all.

> Grow up.

Wow, Fred, thanks for that suggestion. You know, maybe *I'm* using the
wrong hardware! I mean, I could go out and buy an Amiga, and then I
could rub elbows with all you mature guys! It'd be like maturing ten
or twenty years! Wouldn't that just be great! I sure wish I could be
like you.

You know, up until I read this, I respected your argument. Mistake.

Adam
--
"He didn't fall? Inconceivable!"  Internet email: adam@media-lab.media.mit.edu
"You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means."

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (08/30/89)

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
> mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell) writes:
> > That was just merely a suggestion and perhaps done in a jovial way.
> > Is a sense of humor a crime around here? Geez, lighten up! :-)
>
> No, Fred it isn't. If you're joking, please put a ":-)" after your
> statements. I apparently interpreted your message differently than
> you had intended.

It sure would be neat if people on usenet would at least TRY to recognize
humor not accompanied by a :-).

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (09/01/89)

In article <9397@venera.isi.edu> RAMO@AC.DAL.CA (Richard Outerbridge) writes:

>	This message is from Richard Outerbridge of Dalhousie University
>	in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who has read-only access to news.
>	I'm only forwarding it, so please reply directly to him
>	by email if possible.  The net address that's been working
>	from our own ARPANET mail service is RAMO@AC.DAL.CA.
>

>I would like to be able to record some computer images on video tape for
>later redisplay in a classroom setting. I have access to several video boards
>at present all of which produce some form of analog RGB output, none of which
>produce NTSC/composite color signals. I think what I need is either a low
>cost converter from RGB to Composite, or a video card which has suitable video
>out capabilities. I don't need particularly high resolution but lots of colours
>would be very nice.
>
>I've already talked to lots of folks who think it ought to be do-able, but none
>who actually know how.

I've recently purchased an analog-RGB-to-composite-video converter for
my Atari ST, for a similar purpose.  The device is called the "Video
Key", and is manufactured by Practical Solutions of Arizona.  I
suspect that this box could be used with non-Atari hardware, but you'd
have to replace the Atari-compatible wierd 14-pin DIN connector with
something more appropriate.

The Video Key is designed mainly for use with the ST's low-resolution
mode, which is 320x200.  Hardware palette only provides 16 colors, but
there are a number of software hacks that produce 512+ colors by
reloading the hardware palette on the fly, and this device faithfully
translates those displays.  It works at the ST's medium resolution
(640x200), but the resulting picture is not very sharp and exhibits
some ringing (not terribly surprising).

Best of all is the price, $100.  If nothing else, this should
demonstrate that what you seek is possible and has been done.  I've
heard of a Motorola part (14xx?) which is supposed to be able to do
this conversion, but know nothing about it.  You might ask on
sci.electroncs and rec.video, as well.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
------------------
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (09/01/89)

In article <623@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
>mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell) writes:
>> That was just merely a suggestion and perhaps done in a jovial way.
>> Is a sense of humor a crime around here? Geez, lighten up! :-)
>
>No, Fred it isn't. If you're joking, please put a ":-)" after your
>statements. I apparently interpreted your message differently than
>you had intended.

>> I've always wondered why some of the users of other computers get so
>> up-in-arms when you even *mention* a different machine.

>> Grow up.
>
>Wow, Fred, thanks for that suggestion. You know, maybe *I'm* using the
>wrong hardware! I mean, I could go out and buy an Amiga, and then I
>could rub elbows with all you mature guys! It'd be like maturing ten
>or twenty years! Wouldn't that just be great! I sure wish I could be
>like you.
>
>You know, up until I read this, I respected your argument. Mistake.
>
>Adam

(Clearing my throat, rolling up my sleeves, unbuttoning my shirt...)

No Adam, Sorry. I'm not even going to touch this one. I'm not in
the mood for flame-throwing. And besides, anyone can twist words- all
it takes is a little imagination. No, I won't give you the satisfaction.

(Another deep sip of Coke, and off to the next message...)
--

                                   |*******************************************|

In article <oYyk_aO00UkaE0XUcG@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
>> mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell) writes:
>> > That was just merely a suggestion and perhaps done in a jovial way.
>> > Is a sense of humor a crime around here? Geez, lighten up! :-)
>>
>> No, Fred it isn't. If you're joking, please put a ":-)" after your
>> statements. I apparently interpreted your message differently than
>> you had intended.
>
>It sure would be neat if people on usenet would at least TRY to recognize
>humor not accompanied by a :-).

Agreed. Unfourtunatly, some have become as inflexible and unimaginative as the
'silicon glory' sitting on their desks. Pity.
--

                                   |*******************************************|

potter@speedway15.DAB.GE.COM (Jeff Potter) (09/02/89)

Greg Wageman wrote:

>I've heard of a Motorola part (14xx?) which is supposed to be able to do
>this conversion, but know nothing about it.  You might ask on
>sci.electroncs and rec.video, as well.

The Motorola part is the MC1377, "Color Televsion RGB to PAL/NTSC Encoder".
Check with a Motorola distributor for specs, and application note AN932
"Application of the MC1377 Color Encoder".  A rather inexpensive circuit
can be built from instructions in the application note.

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (09/12/89)

In article <9397@venera.isi.edu> RAMO@AC.DAL.CA (Richard Outerbridge) writes:

>	This message is from Richard Outerbridge of Dalhousie University
>	in Halifax, Nova Scotia, who has read-only access to news.
>	I'm only forwarding it, so please reply directly to him
>	by email if possible.  The net address that's been working
>	from our own ARPANET mail service is RAMO@AC.DAL.CA.

I recently received a catalog from Personal Computing Tools which
(page 25) describes a device called Video Charley which provides
an add-on to extended EGA (they use the Paradise Autoswitch EGA 480)
in the form of an additional card via the "features connector".

This allows (according to their claims) gen-lock, keying and dissolve
capabilities and 640 x 480 resolution.

There are also three software packages offered at additional cost.

The add-on is $749 and the Paradise board is another $399 if you get
it from them with the accessory board installed and tested.

This more expensive than some of the devices mentioned in my previous
posting but it looks quite versatile. Does anyone have any experience
with this device?