[comp.graphics] ardent titan

toby@r2.cs.man.ac.uk (09/15/89)

I have an Ardent Titan to use, and I want to exploit its computing power,
really using its display just as a frame buffer. Does anyone know the most
efficient way for me to write to the display? (This is for a Mandelbrot
viewer).

I've heard X is very slow for shipping pixels around.

Thanks!
Toby

Toby Howard    Computer Science Department, University of Manchester,
Lecturer       Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
               janet:       toby@uk.ac.man.cs.p1
               internet:    toby%p1.cs.man.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
               earn/bitnet: toby%uk.ac.man.cs.p1@UKACRL
               uucp:        ...!ukc!mup1!toby       voice: +44 61-275-6274

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (09/17/89)

In article <6495@ux.cs.man.ac.uk> toby@r2.cs.man.ac.uk writes:
>I have an Ardent Titan to use, and I want to exploit its computing power,
>really using its display just as a frame buffer. Does anyone know the most
>efficient way for me to write to the display? (This is for a Mandelbrot
>viewer).
>
>I've heard X is very slow for shipping pixels around.
>
>Thanks!
>Toby
(1) Ardent shipped a new X server in June that was eight times faster than
before.  The old was based on the sample MIT server.  The new uses device-
dependent routines.  It is now about the same speed as DEC 3100's X
which uses the same CPU chip and is also optimized.

(2) Both Ardent's new X, Dore, and some alpha-release scientific visualization
tools call an underlying device driver called tg.  There is a debate withing
Ardent as to whether they will ever document this for TITAN users.
You can get a sense of it by looking at the ioctl flags in /usr/include/machine/tigr.h.
It seems to be a nasty, but very fast graphics driver involving queue and
buffer synchronization.

(We have two TITANS.)