[comp.graphics] GIS AND DIGITAL CARTOGRAPHY NEWSLETTER, Vol 1 Issue 2

rcw@scicom.AlphaCDC.COM (Robert White) (09/17/89)

| GIS AND DIGITAL CARTOGRAPHY NEWSLETTER    Vol 1 Issue 2        |
|                                           Friday, Sep 15,1989  |
| Submissions for the newsletter should be sent clearly labeled  |
| with the submitters name, organization, and usenet address to: |
| ncar!boulder!qetzal!gis-letter  or rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com     |

	LETTER SECTION:

		1. Grass User
		2. Rallying the GIS masses
		3. Incompatible Digest Formats
		4. How do I shade Digital Elevation Models?
		5. Give a Paper at GIS '90

	CONFERENCES
		1. Training Seminar on GIS
		2. Second Nat'l Conference on using GIS
		3. GIS '90
		4. Denver GeoTech

****0****
From: Robert White  			[rcw@scicom.alphacdc.com]
Subject: Technical Submissions

A surprising amount of traffic this week.  Please keep working on
your technical submissions, and we will devote an entire newsletter
to them. -ed.

****1****
From: Lars Schylberg 			[larss@fmi.kth.se]
Subject: GIS Newsletter
Organization [Dept. of Photogrammetry, Royal Institute of Technology,
             Stockholm, Sweden]]

I'm very glad to see this newslettter.  At our department we have just
implemented the GRASS(Geographic Resource Analysis Support System)
software on Apollo workstations.  GRASS is GIS software that US Army
Corps of Engineers have written and placed in the public domain.  It
is distributed via tape for handling costs.  It runs on many different
hardware platforms.  I would like to get in contact with other
universities or institutions that have used it in education or
cartographical experiments.  That is what I personally have thought
about using GRASS for.

[I will include some information about Grass that I received from
 the government in the next letter -ed]

****2****
From: Terry Ingoldsby                   [ingoldsb@ctycal.COM]
Subject: GIS Newsletter                 [ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP]

I would *definitely* be interested in a newsletter, email list
or newsgroup that discussed the concerns of GIS users.  GIS
doesn't seem to fit into any category; it has aspects of computer
graphics, database, image processing.  It is used on every sort
of machine from IBM mainframes to workstations to PCs.

Part of the problem with getting GIS going on the net is due to
the nature of the agencies participating in GIS.  Much of the GIS
work is done by government groups who do not know about Usenet,
electronic mail, etc., neither do they see any benefit (since
there are no groups discussing GIS).  Also, government agencies
are very sensitive about possible security risks of tying to
networks.  This leads to a Catch-22 situation since you don't
get a newsgroup unless there are users and there are no users
without a  newsgroup.

Nonetheless it behooves those of us who are enlightened :^) to
educate the rest about the benefits of the network.  Starting a
newsletter would be a good first step.

****3****
From: Mike Muuss                        [mike@brl.mil]
Subject: GIS and Digital Cartography Newsletter

Would you be so kind as to format your newsletter along the lines
that ARPANET (internet) Digests are formatted?

This would allow those of us with mail readers that know how to
"burst" digests to handle your transmissions.

There is an RFC on this format on file at SRI-NIC.
	Best,
	 -Mike

[Can someone provide me with this?  I am not on the internet, and
 haven't the vaguest idea of how to get it. -ed]

****4****

From: Chip Chapin                       [chip@hpclisp.HP.COM]
					[chip%hpda@hplabs.hp.com]
					[chip%hpda@hp-sde.hp.com]

Subject: Interest in Computer Mapping Systems

Well, judging from the number of requests for "map databases" and such,
I think there is a lot of interest in digital cartography, or geography
or whatever-graphy.  And not just from genuine geography jocks, but also
from interested hackers such as myself.  I finally got a chance to plot
DEM data on my workstation, and I'm stoked!  I want more!

First [elementary] discussion question:  I have a program that plots DEM
data as successive planes from "back" to front.  I am considering
changing it to plot successive rows of quadrilaterals to form a
true "surface".  Then I'd like to shade them appropriately.

My question is... Seems like all this must be well-understood, with some
established algorithms (I *hate* re-inventing the wheel). I'm not a real
graphics weenie anyway.  Could someone please point me in the direction
of some good texts or papers on this subject?

****5****

From: Chris Hermansen                  [uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!tacitus!clh]
Subject: GIS '90, Vancouver

Anyone who is interested in submitting a paper for GIS '90
should contact Paddy O'Reilly at the Symposium Office ASAP.  [see
below -ed]  For those who can't bear to use the telephone or snail
mail, send me some e-mail and I'll pass it on.

I have to moderate two panel discussions at GIS'90.
One is "Sharing the Data: Networking and Communications"; the other
is "GIS Hardware: Micros vs Workstations vs Mainframes".  The idea
of these panel discussions is that the three panelists will present
their paper (about 20 minutes per paper), and the remaining half hour
will be taken up by a discussion between panelists and audience.
The papers are meant to be case studies - either why something works
or why it doesn't (ie, no vaporware).  If anyone is particularly
interested in presenting papers in these topics, or has any valuable
suggestions, please let me know via e-mail.

**** CONFERENCES  AND SEMINARS ****

1. Training Seminar on using Geographic Information Systems
   Who    :  Datagraphics Corporation
             Dr. Douglas Cargo, Ph.D.
	     Mr. Ron Harris, Chairman, State of Texas Advisory
                 commission on computer mapping, geographic information
	         systems and user needs.
 Content  :  GIS graphics, spatial analysis, time series, performance
	     management, budget allocation.  Software & Hardware.
             State Emergency Communication application, voter
             registration application, appraisal district, public works,
	     engineering, and budget applications.
   When   :  9 AM - 4PM, October 10, 1989.  Arlington Hilton,
	     2401 East Lamar Blvd, Arlington TX  76006.

    Info  :  $45.  Contact Ken Dees (214) 437-1165

2. Second National Conference on Geographic Information Systems

   Who    : Government Computer News 301-445-4400
Content   : Management Issues
		GIS procurements
		GIS cost/benefits
		System integration strategies
		Interagency initiative
		Digital cartographic standards
		GIS survey results
		Management information integrated with
			spatial information
		Role of public domain databases
		GIS autonomous control within an integrated architecture
		GIS considerations prior to purchase

	     Applications
		TIGER data
		Quality control of DLG data
		Developing countries
		GIS in emergency management
		GRASS and WHAG in wildlife management
		Army applications
		Non source point pollution
		Fundamental considerations in map analysis
		MRLIS mineral resources land information
		BLM land information systems

             Technology trends
	        On screen raster and vector integration
	        Hardware trends
	        Distributed databases
	        Desktop GIS
	        Expert systems
	        Federal trends
	        Visualization
	        Industry standards
	        Remote sensing
	        SPOT maps
             Courses
	        Overview
	        Raster - vector integration
	        Multi vender GIS
	        3D geographic analysis
	        Data capture
When     : San Francisco Airport Hilton, October 16-18, 1989.
Info     : $505 Government, $595 Non Government (301) 445-4400

3. GIS '90
Who      : GIS '90 Organization (?)
Content  : Forestry professional and management meeting focused on
	   the effective use of GIS in forestry and natural resource
	   management.  Offers current and practical information and
	   an opportunity to meet leading GIS exports for the exchange
	   of ideas.
When     : Vancouver Trade and Convention Centre, March 14-16 1990

Info     :  Write:
			GIS '90
			Symposium Office
			134 Abbott Street
			Suite 303
			Vancouver B.C. Canada
			V6B 2K4
			Voice: (604) 688-0188
			Fax:   (604) 682-2987

4. Denver Geotech '89

Who       : Denver GeoTech, Inc.
Content   : Geoscientific information systems applied to exploration
	    and research. Exhibitions, technical sessions, luncheons.
When      : Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center
	    September 23-26, 1989

Info      :
		ARC Enterprises
		133 S. Van Gordon Street, Suite 200