[comp.graphics] Sun Raster -> MacII GIF

glennw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (glenn.r.wesley) (09/19/89)

I am trying to convert some Sun color rasters to a form that
appears to be pseudo-GIF.  The destination system is a Mac-2
running software called GIFFER.  It appears to be a standard
GIF file with a 128 byte header.  Does anyone have information
on the format of the header?
    I am kind of new to this image format translation world. However,
I have tried both FBM(Fuzzy Pixmap) and the new PBM package.  They
both translate to a GIF file that doesn't have this GIFFER header.
    Thanks in advance.
					Glenn Wesley
					aluxz!glennw or
					aluxz!pissa!glenn

jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jude Anand George) (09/20/89)

glennw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (glenn.r.wesley) writes:
> I am trying to convert some Sun color rasters to a form that
> appears to be pseudo-GIF.  The destination system is a Mac-2
> running software called GIFFER.  It appears to be a standard
> GIF file with a 128 byte header.  Does anyone have information
> on the format of the header?

Giffer does not add a header to the GIF format.  What you are seeing
is probably the "finderinfo" header that is appended to all Macintosh
files.  It may also add a resource fork.  The actual GIF is kept
in the data fork; this is all that you should be concerned with.

All Mac file transfer programs (be it ftp or whatever) will add the
finder information to any file that is brought over to the Mac;
you do not need to do this yourself.  Likewise, they'll strip
out the finder information and the resource fork when sending
files, unless you specifically ask them not to (i.e. MacBinary
transfer).

 /                    ::::UUCP:::: the_known_world!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!jg2f+
%\/ Jude Anand George :::BITNET::: jg2f+@ANDREW | jg2f+%andrew@{CMCCVB|CMCCVMA}
\/\ endanger judo age ::Internet:: jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu
 \                    :Compuserve: >INET:jg2f+@andrew.cmu.edu