[comp.graphics] animation on mac II

pts@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Paul T. Shannon) (09/27/89)

I'm looking for animation tools for the Mac II.  Here's what we'd like to
do:
   - create a large number of 256 level gray scale images
   - store them in ram (we plan to purchase a IIci with 8 or 16 meg)
   - have an animation tool serially display these images, cleanly
     refreshing the display with every vertical retrace.
Becuase we're doing psychophysical experiments, it's essential that
the successive images appear exactly on the vertical retrace, and with
no pause due to any kind of system activity.  Does anyone have any
advice or experience they can pass along?  Thanks.

 - Paul Shannon
 - pts@virginia.edu

turk@Apple.COM (Ken "Turk" Turkowski) (09/28/89)

In article <969@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> pts@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Paul T. Shannon) writes:

>I'm looking for animation tools for the Mac II.  Here's what we'd like to
>do:
>   - create a large number of 256 level gray scale images
>   - store them in ram (we plan to purchase a IIci with 8 or 16 meg)
>   - have an animation tool serially display these images, cleanly
>     refreshing the display with every vertical retrace.

I believe that Macromind's VideoWorks or Director does what you want.
--
Ken Turkowski @ Apple Computer, Inc., Cupertino, CA
Internet: turk@apple.com

abh0@GTE.COM (Andrew Hudson) (09/28/89)

I have heard of a scientific animation package from NCSA (National
Center for Supercomputer Applications) at U. of Illinois at
Champaign-Urbana which supposedly supports some animation on the MacII.
It is called Image and that's all I know about it. Does anyone
else have info or contact info for Image?

-Andrew Hudson
abh0@gte.com
--
"I remember, darkness doubled,
 I recall, lightning struck itself."

rob@NRC.COM (Rob Pawsner) (09/29/89)

I would think you need not an art program like VideoWorks, but a
data set image creation and animation program, preferably with source
code. Your tax dollars are at work. It's NCSA ImageTool and its
accessories that you want. I quote:

If you have arpanet access, you can get the most recent released
versions of NCSA software at no cost via anonymous ftp to:

	zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu

The following is a list of files available.  Directories are followed
by "/".  Symbolic links are followed by the file linked to.  You can
access the same software by way of the machine it runs on or the
package itself.  In many cases, there is a README file for
subdirectories.

   CompositeTool/
   DataScope/
   HDF/