[comp.graphics] Bimonthly s/ware postings || new group

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (09/21/89)

What can we do to cut down the number of "can someone send me something
to convert pictures from GIF to PostScript" postings?

o Post software that does so every 60 days?

	That's a lot of bandwidth.  And not every format would be supported.

o Create a new group for requests? comp.graphics.request? comp.graphics.wanted?

	Cross-postings will still flood comp.graphics.

Or do we just get used to the 'k' key?

					Reid

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (09/21/89)

What can we do to cut down the number of "can someone send me something
to convert pictures from XXX to YYY" type of postings?

o Post software that does so every 60 days?

	That's a lot of bandwidth.  And there would
	still be formats that aren't covered.

o Create a new group for requests? comp.graphics.request? comp.graphics.wanted?

	Cross-postings will probably still flood
	comp.graphics, although one would hope that
	the number would be lower than the current
	level.

madhu@hubcap.clemson.edu (m a d h u) (09/23/89)

In article <461@alias.UUCP>, rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) writes:
> What can we do to cut down the number of "can someone send me something
> to convert pictures from XXX to YYY" type of postings?

I have done that a couple of times myself .... creating a new group
would mean having to go through two news groups. Why not solve the
problem this way..

> o Post software that does so every 60 days?
A better way would be to post a list of anon sites or mailer sites
where a list of graphic format interchange software *availability*
list is maintained with comments. This way two problems will be
addressed : BW wont be wasted, Sys adms will not crib about disk
usage if we keep just an *availability* list and not the software itself.

> o Create a new group for requests?
The value of the above solution would diminish, a whole new set up
would have to be brought about with a few people having to spend their
time looking after this stuff. :-)

> 	Cross-postings will probably still flood
> 	comp.graphics, although one would hope that

	Have a nasty message saying offenders will be treated like scum.
	This is done in a sort of polite way in misc.jobs.misc for example.
> 	Reid

	madhu

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (09/29/89)

In article <458@alias.UUCP> rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) writes:
>What can we do to cut down the number of "can someone send me something
>to convert pictures from GIF to PostScript" postings?

The number of such requests may be large, but their size is small.
It's not a bandwidth problem.  Yeah, use 'k' && laugh it off.  One of
these days, *you* may be in the situation of joining a new group and not
knowing the ropes.

Subgroups intended for beginners' traffic tend to not work well, for
the very reason of the participants' being beginners.

	Charles Poirier