[comp.graphics] Drawing hierarchical tree structures

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) (09/29/89)

Can anyone suggest a reference to point
to code that can be used to graphically
display tree structures. What I would like
to do is to analyze some C sources and then
display them with an interactive user interface.
It seems that there are many problems in deciding
the placement and the spacing used to display
nice looking trees when the branches become unbalanced.

thanks

--
Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

morrison@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) (09/29/89)

In article <41277@ccicpg.UUCP> swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:
>Can anyone suggest a reference to point
>to code that can be used to graphically
>display tree structures.

I believe it is very hard to do well. Here are a couple of references to
get started.

@article{chiba1,
   author =        {Norishige Chiba and Kazunori Onoguchi
                    and Takao Nishizeki},
   title =         {Drawing Plane Graphs Nicely},
   journal =       {Acta Informatica},
   volume =        {22},
   year =          {1985},
   pages =         {187-201},
   keywords =      {pretty printing plane graphs}
}

@article{vaucher1,
   author =        {Jean G. Vaucher},
   title =         {Pretty-Printing of Trees},
   journal =       {Software, Practise and Eexperience},
   volume =        {10},
   year =          {1980},
   pages =         {553-561},
   keywords =      {tree printing data structure display}
}
Rick Morrison		 | {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!morrison
Dept. of Computer Science| morrison@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia| morrison%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5  | morrison@ubc.csnet (ubc-csgrads=128.189.97.20)
(604) 228-4327