[comp.graphics] CGM File Format

newton@einstein.eds.com (Richard E. Newton) (10/02/89)

I am looking for information about CGM (computer graphic metafile)
files. I would greatly apreciate any information on the layout and
content of the CGM files or the names of any references that document
the CGM standard.

Also, does anyone know of any public domain software for converting CGM
files to other graphical file formats. I am going to have to write a
program that processes CGM files, but I don't want to have to start
from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

 Dick Newton			Phone 313-265-7226
 Electronic Data Systems	ARPA newton@edsews.eds.com
 750 Tower Drive, PO BOX 7019	UUCP ...{sun|uunet|sharkey}!edsews!newton
 Troy, MI 48007-7019
--
 Dick Newton			Phone 313-265-7226
 Electronic Data Systems	ARPA newton@einstein.eds.com

fleming@balboa (Dennis Paul Fleming) (10/04/89)

In article <23@einstein.eds.com> newton@einstein.eds.com (Richard E. Newton) writes:

>I am looking for information about CGM (computer graphic metafile)
>files. I would greatly apreciate any information on the layout and

	CGM and CGI: Metafile and Interface Standards for
		Computer Graphics.
	D.B. Arnold and P.R. Bono

	Springer-Verlag Symbolic Computation series
	1988

andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel) (10/05/89)

In article <23@einstein.eds.com> newton@einstein.eds.com (Richard E. Newton) writes:

>I am looking for information about CGM (computer graphic metafile)
>files. I would greatly apreciate any information on the layout and
>content of the CGM files or the names of any references that document
>the CGM standard.

THE reference that documents the CGM standard is (drum roll, please)
THE STANDARD!

Call ANSI, Sales Dept, (212) 354-3300, and ask for ANSI X3.122-1986.

It's not a tutorial, or easy reading, but it is the only complete and
detailed documentation I know of.

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA