-----------------
From: ihnp4!inmet!andrew
Date: 4 Aug 84 18:29:56 CDT (Sat)

Yes, there are ice cream makers that work in a freezer.  I don't know
where to get them, but I have seen them advertised.  You can't use a
conventional one in a freezer because the cord holds the door open;
the ones designed for that purpose use a special flat power cord that
slips right under the door gasket.  Miniature ice cream makers do
exist - Simac makes two of them - but they are *very* expensive.

Andrew W. Rogers		...{harpo|ihnp4|ima|esquire}!inmet!andrew

From: ihnp4!mhuxt!evans
Date: 6 Aug 84 06:24:43 CDT (Mon)

Over the past several years I have tried conventional ice cream freezers
(electric and hand crank), small units that fit in a home freezer, and
a unit with a built-in freon refrigeration system.

The small unit that is placed in a home freezer turned out to be rather
poorly made (I believe it was from Salton) and had a motor that put out
enough heat to raise the freezer temperature to unacceptable levels. I
wasn't too upset that it only lasted a few months.

The win so far is the freezer with a built-in freon refrigeration system.
It is trivial to hit a reasonable temperature for wonderful ice cream
and it is possible to make a batch in 15 - 20 minutes without the salt/ice
mess. They are quite expensive - ours is a Simac (made in Italy) that
listed for about $350, but was discounted for $200 at Zabars in NYC.
The only problem is that the freezing "can" is quite small (there are
models from 1.5 to 4 qts), and that it is difficult to remove the
dasher.

				steve crandall
				ihnp4!mhuxt!evans

From: ihnp4!houxm!houem!jansz
Date: 6 Aug 84 11:29:23 CDT (Mon)
Subject: Re: ICE CREAM MAKER WANTED

A friend of mine in Watertown, CT, got an ice cream maker that is
completely self-contained and makes great desserts.  The brand is
Simac or Simlac or something like that [they make other kitchen
appliances that I've seen sold in catalog discount stores] and
might be European.  If you don't get any other info and want me to
get in contact with her about where she got it and how she likes
it, let me know.

				Jan Elliott
				AT&T Bell Labs/Holmdel
				houem!jansz

From: ihnp4!allegra!alice!rabbit!hania
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 84 02:47:27 edt

Salton makes an ice cream maker that fits in your freezer, and is
designed to make ice cream that way.  I've used it, and it works fine;
the only problem is that is only makes a quart at a time (this may
sound like a lot, but it really isn't).  Also, you need a reliably
very cold freezer for it to work.

There is also a fairly new machine on the market, with its own
coil, which supposedly makes italian-type (gelato) ice cream.
I can't remember at the moment who makes it, but if you go to any
reasonable kitchen store, they'll tell you.  (I think it's Simac,
or some such).  I have no experience with this machine.  It's
quite expensive, though ($200+, as opposed to $30+ for the Salton).

There are also some pseudo mess-free machines, which advertise to have
the advantage of working with ice cubes (rather than crushed ice) and
table salt (rather thann rock salt).  They are still about as much of
a bother as the regular ones, though, and tend to have smaller capacity.

   Hania

2