[comp.graphics] Floyd-Steinberg dithering, any literature?

pfuetz@zgdvda.UUCP (Matthias Pfuetzner) (10/11/89)

Hallo!

I've gotten giffer.ttp for the ATARI from the comp.binaries.atari.st
newsgroup. There Eric Gisin mentions Floyd-Steinberg dithering as one of
the methods he uses (there are four available in this program) for
converting color information to bw.
My question now: Can anybody tell me some book or other literature where
this Floyd-Steinberg dithering method is described?

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sincerly Yours,
	Matthias Pfuetzner

||   Matthias Pfuetzner                         ||   private:                ||
||   Zentrum fuer Graphische Datenverarbeitung  ||   Matthias Pfuetzner      ||
||   Wilhelminenstrasse 7                       ||   Lichtenbergstrasse 73   ||
||   D-6100 Darmstadt                           ||   D-6100 Darmstadt        ||
||   Fed. Rep. of Germany                       ||   Fed. Rep. of Germany    ||
||   Tel.: +49 6151 1000-77  or -22             ||   Tel.: +49 6151 75717    ||
||===========================================================================||
||   BITNET: xbr1yd3u@ddathd21.bitnet                                        ||
||   UUCP  : pfuetz@zgdvda.UUCP        ...!uunet!mcvax!unido!zgdvda!pfuetz   ||
 Es gibt Sachen, die sind so falsch, dass nicht einmal das Gegenteil wahr ist.
                                  Karl Krauss

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (10/12/89)

In article <646@zgdvda.UUCP>, pfuetz@zgdvda.UUCP (Matthias Pfuetzner) writes:
> Hallo!
>
> I've gotten giffer.ttp for the ATARI from the comp.binaries.atari.st
> newsgroup. There Eric Gisin mentions Floyd-Steinberg dithering as one of
> the methods he uses (there are four available in this program) for
> converting color information to bw.
> My question now: Can anybody tell me some book or other literature where
> this Floyd-Steinberg dithering method is described?
>
> Any hint is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sincerly Yours,
> 	Matthias Pfuetzner

The definitive reference for what you want to do is probably:

Heckbert, P, "Color Image Quantization for Frame Buffer Display,"
COMPUTER GRAPHICS, Vol. 16, No. 3, July 1982.

or you may want to look at my own incarnation of Heckbert's work:

Howell, J., "Full Color PATRAN Images with a 256 Color Terminal," 1986
PATRAN USERS' CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS.

and to answer your question about the Floyd-Steinberg reference:

Floyd, R. W. and Steinberg, L., "An Adaptive Algorithm for Spatial Gray
Scale," SID 75, INT. SYMP. DIG. TECH. PAPERS, 1975.

Happy Dithering.

John Howell			uucp:		uunet!suntc!jrh
Deere & Company			MCImail:	360-4047
Technical Center		CompuServe:	[76666,2505]
3300 River Drive		FAX:		(309)765-3807
Moline, IL  61265		Voice:		(309)765-3784

helman@isl.Stanford.EDU (Jim Helman) (10/13/89)

Here's the original article:

	Floyd, R. W. and Steinberg, L.
	"An Adaptive Algorithm for Spatial Gray Scale"
	Society for Information Display
	Proceeding of the SID, Volume 17/2, 2nd quarter 1976

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940