[net.music] "Hounds of Love" not original name?

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/01/85)

> From: oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258)

> As long as we are on the subject of Kate Bush.

Must be new to net.music....  [And in that case, if you want to be on a
KB fan mailing list, drop me a line....]

> I have heard that the original name was NOT "Hounds of Love" . Anyone
> knows what it was supposed to be? And what was supposed to be on the
> cover?

It wasn't the album that was changed, it was the single.  The original
name for "Running Up That Hill" was "A Deal With God" -- in fact, on the
album it's called "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)".  Rumour says
that EMI pressured Kate to change the name because people would be
offended by the title "A Deal With God".  I dunno what was originally on
the cover of the single "Running Up That Hill", but supposedly that had
to be changed too.  All this caused a several month delay.

> And what keeps her at EMI?

Actually I hear that EMI loves her.  EMI says they do, and claims that
they feel she is a great artist and wouldn't interfere with anything
Kate wants to do.  They do let Kate pick which songs are to be released
as singles, and she often makes very unusual choices.  They probably
also don't interfere with her music.  EMI is probably better than any of
the other sleazy big record companies she could work for.

I say that now that she has her own recording studio, though, she should
move over to Chris Cutler's record company....  [What?  And not make
megabucks?]

			"Now is the place where the crossroads meet"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (10/09/85)

>It wasn't the album that was changed, it was the single.  The original
>name for "Running Up That Hill" was "A Deal With God" -- in fact, on the
>album it's called "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)".  Rumour says
>that EMI pressured Kate to change the name because people would be
>offended by the title "A Deal With God".

	The first time I heard Running Up That Hill Patti Smith's "I
have not sold myself to god" came to mind. Now that I've seen the
video I wonder if KB is a born again.

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/10/85)

> From: strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine)

> The first time I heard Running Up That Hill Patti Smith's "I have not
> sold myself to god" came to mind. Now that I've seen the video I
> wonder if KB is a born again.

Uh, that's not the "video" you saw.  That's a clip of a live appearance.
The real video is *totally* different.  In any case, it seems to me that
she is being fairly critical of Christianity in that clip.  The more she
preaches, the shorter her podium get -- as if the more she preaches the
farther away from God she gets.

			"Some say that hell is heaven"