[comp.graphics] Filled Arc

nebakke@ndsuvax.UUCP (Jeff Bakke) (10/13/89)

I've been keeping watch on this group for sometime and although I've seend
requests for circle/ellipse/arc functions, I was wondering if anyone had
an algorithm/source/pseudo-code for a filled-arc function.  I am currently
using a filled arc function which simply draws a line from the center point
to each point on the curve.  The problem with this is that in a large
arc, you end up with some gaps inside the arc.  I alleviate this problem
with a line function that draws a line 3 pixels wide instead of just one
but unfortunately this function is horrendously slow.

Is there a better method for filling an arc or should I just make an
effort and improve on the wide line function?  It seems to me that
there would be a better way to do this but I haven't the faintest idea
how.

Thanks.

Jeff Bakke
nebakke@plains.NoDak.edu
nu113738@ndsuvm1.bitnet

TEITTINEN@cc.helsinki.fi (Marko) (10/14/89)

In article <3002@ndsuvax.UUCP>, nebakke@ndsuvax.UUCP (Jeff Bakke) writes:
> I've been keeping watch on this group for sometime and although I've seend
> requests for circle/ellipse/arc functions, I was wondering if anyone had
> an algorithm/source/pseudo-code for a filled-arc function.  I am currently
> using a filled arc function which simply draws a line from the center point
> to each point on the curve.  The problem with this is that in a large
> arc, you end up with some gaps inside the arc.  I alleviate this problem
> with a line function that draws a line 3 pixels wide instead of just one
> but unfortunately this function is horrendously slow.
>
> Is there a better method for filling an arc or should I just make an
> effort and improve on the wide line function?  It seems to me that
> there would be a better way to do this but I haven't the faintest idea
> how.

Howabout just drawing an arc with the ends connected to the centerpoint
and then filling the "wedge" with a floodfill algorithm. Of course
this works only on a bitmap device.

--
EARN: teittinen@finuh                        ! "Studying is the only way
Internet: teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi           !  to do nothing without