[comp.graphics] Careers in Computer Graphics

paulh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Paul Haban) (06/24/89)

Greetings Netland,
	Being that I am in the position to plan out my undergraduate
academic career, I would like to modify my college planning to allow me
a position within the computer graphics community.  So, here I am
soliciting opinion as to what avenues to venture down.  For instance, what
do most companies look for in a recent college graduate?  What looks good
within the industry?  Is grad school a necessary evil in computer graphics???

Inquiring Minds Want To Know!

Thank You
Paul Haban

Disclaimer:  Jeez, I am not important enough to afford a real disclaimer...

stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (06/27/89)

> 	Being that I am in the position to plan out my undergraduate
> academic career, I would like to modify my college planning to allow me
> a position within the computer graphics community.
> Paul Haban

The most recent SIGGRAPH newsletter is a special issue on "Careers in
Computer Graphics".  It just showed up in my mailbox, so there is
probably a copy in your local campus library right now.  It contains
descriptions of many fields in computer graphics, suggested education,
and companies that employ such people.

Check it out.

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (06/27/89)

In article <14063@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> paulh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Paul Haban) writes:

   Greetings Netland,
	   Being that I am in the position to plan out my undergraduate
   academic career, I would like to modify my college planning to allow me
   a position within the computer graphics community.

Funny you should ask.  Just today I received the February(!) 1989
issue of Computer Graphics (the publication of ACM SIGGRAPH).  It is a
special issue, devoted to "Careers in Computer Graphics".  It includes
an essay about computer graphics and c.g. careers, a list of
categories of jobs, several "career profiles" (of real people),
information about colleges and universities, information about various
companies, and advice on job hunting.

You can order copies from
	ACM Order Dept.
	P.O. Box 64145
	Baltimore Maryland 21264
	(301)528-4261

	Member price: $12.75
	Non-member price: $17.00
	ACM Order Number: 429-891

Or, check around your department, there is probably somebody who is a
member of SIGGRAPH, and who will have a copy.

--
=Spencer (spencer@eecs.umich.edu)

aden@orion.UUCP (Michael Aden) (06/29/89)

In article <SPENCER.89Jun26162655@spline.eecs.umich.edu> spencer@eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>In article <14063@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> paulh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Paul Haban) writes:
>
>   Greetings Netland,
>	   Being that I am in the position to plan out my undergraduate
>   academic career, I would like to modify my college planning to allow me
>   a position within the computer graphics community.
>
>Funny you should ask.  Just today I received the February(!) 1989
>issue of Computer Graphics (the publication of ACM SIGGRAPH).  It is a
>special issue, devoted to "Careers in Computer Graphics".  It includes
>an essay about computer graphics and c.g. careers, a list of
>categories of jobs, several "career profiles" (of real people),
>information about colleges and universities, information about various
>companies, and advice on job hunting.

It may not be fair to pre-judge the CG article without first reading it, but I'd
like to add my impression as a member of the computer graphics community.

As a journal tied closely to academia (and a fine journal it is when it comes out),
CG might place more of a premium on a Master's than others might.

The best advice I could think of would be:
   1 - get some graphics experience (classes are OK, but real
		experience is much better).
   2 - target a few companies you think you'd like to work
	   for and call them up to see what they look for in their
	   preferred candidate.
	   Different companies have different cultures:
		   some prefer good solid experience while others prefer
		   more schooling(I prefer the former).
   3 - Some companies have summer student programs, which is an
	   enormous win for both you and them, regardless of whether
	   you get an advanced degree.

I must admit that I see more and more candidates with
master's degrees but green is green: I'll hire a BS+2 over
an MS anyday (other things being equal).

Good luck whatever you do, graphics is where its at!

Michael Aden
Versatec, Inc.

Personal Unrelated Net Tirade: "You'd think a degree or two would teach
you folks how to run a spell-checker (or use a dictionary)!
(been a while since you saw that one, huh? :-)
____________________________________

{ames,pyramid,vsi1,uunet}!versatc!aden
"All ramblings contained herein are sorely my own."

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (06/29/89)

Graphics is a tool used in associated with other disciplines: entertainment,
commerce, art, science, engineering.  Therefore go for BREADTH in your
academic career and master one these associated disciplines in conjunction
with computer graphics and you'll have superior career possibilities.

stephan%grimalkin@Sun.COM (Stephan R. Keith) (10/17/89)

                               CALL  FOR PARTICIPATION

                           CAREERS  IN  COMPUTER  GRAPHICS

                                        1990

       Career Profile Papers

       The ACM SIGGRAPH Education Committee is currently preparing  its  second
       edition  of the Computer Graphics Career Handbook.  SIGGRAPH members and
       educators responded favorably to the first edition.  In the  second,  we
       wish  to  incorporate  their  suggestions,  making  the  Handbook a more
       comprehensive source document.

       We are looking for a broad spectrum of career profiles  in  the  various
       computer  graphics  application  areas,  and representing varying educa-
       tional backgrounds and experience  levels.   Your  input  in  solicited.
       Please  submit  a  two to four typewritten page description of your com-
       puter graphics career  for  publication  consideration.   Unfortunately,
       because  of printing costs and space limitations, we will not be able to
       use all submittals  in  the  Handbook.   However,  if  your  profile  is
       selected, you will receive a release/clearance form by June 1, 1990.

       We seek papers which fit within the following broad categories:

               Career Profile Papers

                   ART AND ANIMATION
                       Fine and General Arts
                       Animation
                       Advertising

                   CAD/CAM/CAE
                       VLSI Design
                       Solids Modeling
                       Cartography
                       Any form which utilizes computer graphics

                   PRESENTATION GRAPHICS
                       Desktop Publishing
                       Business Graphics
                       Corporate Communications

                   SIMULATION
                       Real Time Systems
                       Simulations with Graphics Output

                   SYSTEMS
                       Systems Design
                       Hardware (i.e., workstations, graphics terminals)
                       Software (i.e., graphics packages, GKS, PHIGS, PEX, etc.)

                   OTHERS
                       Marketing
                       Sales
                       Technical Writers
                       Educators

               Professionals in these categories may be characterized as follows:

                   USER        individuals who uses computer graphics in their job

                   DESIGNER    individuals who design and/or construct hardware,
                               software and/or systems to do computer graphics

                   CONSULTANT  individuals who advise, assist or implement
                               computer graphic hardware, software and/or systems
                               as independent contractors

                   EDUCATOR    individuals who instruct in the principles,
                               practices or usage of computer graphics hardware,
                               software and/or systems at any education level or
                               as a company instructor

                   RESEARCHER  individuals who do research in the computer
                               graphics disciplines

                   MANAGER     individuals who manager personnel and/or company
                               resources to accomplish tasks and/or create products
                               for computer graphics

       With these categories and  characterizations  in  mind,   the  following
       Author's  Outline  is  provided  to give you an idea of what to cover in
       your profile.  A conversational writing style is recommended:

                   JOB DESCRIPTION

                       What do you do?
                       What are the positive aspects of you work?
                       What are the negative aspects of you work?
                       How do you categorize your profession in terms of the
                          six categories provided?
                       If you manage or supervise projects and/or personnel,
                          describe which you do.

                   SKILLS

                       What computer graphics skills do you need to
                          accomplish you task(s)?
                       What non computer skills do you need?:

                           communication           graphics skills (non computer)
                           personal management     computer skills (non graphics)
                           interpersonal skills    writing

                       What skills do you feel someone should acquire to work
                          in your application area?

                   CAREER PATH

                       What did you do to get into computer graphics?
                       Why did you get into computer graphics?

                   "SAGE WISDOM"

                       What is the outlook for your profession?
                       What would you tell someone today to help them get
                          into your particular field?

       Submitting Your Profile

       Please submit your Career Profile,  including  your  name,  address  and
       telephone  number,  either  as six double spaced copies or on a standard
       Macintosh floppy disk (ASCII, Microsoft WORD 3.0, or WriteNow,  are  the
       preferred  formats)  or  arrange  to have the information downloaded via
       1200/2400 baud modem.  Career Profiles must be received  no  later  than
       April 1, 1990.  Mail submittals should be sent to:

                       Catherine M. Keith, Chair
                       ACM SIGGRAPH Careers Handbook
                       424 Custer Road
                       Hayward, CA  94544

       Also, this year the Handbook Committee is considering  including  photo-
       graphs of each author.  If you wish to submit a photo with your profile,
       you should provide a standard 5x7 black and white  photo.   Further,  if
       you  wish  to submit a representative computer graphics work, a 4x5 inch
       transparency is the most desirable format; if this is not possible, then
       an  original,  high  quality 35mm slide is acceptable.  Please note that
       your works may be reproduced in black and white,  or in color.

       Not all submittals will be used because of budgetary and  space  limita-
       tions.

       Please note that all profiles, slides, disks, etc. submitted will not be
       returned.

	Very sincerely yours,

	Catherine M. Keith
----