>Subject: Need Bagel Recipe
>Newsgroups: net.cooks
>From: maxwell@ncrcae.UUCP (Susan Maxwell)
>Date: Wed, 25-Jul-84 06:38:23 PDT
>
>Help!!! I need a recipe for bagels!!!

I don't have a recipe, but your request reminded me of something
that happened on my vacation last week.

We were having breakfast in a resturant in very northern (and
rural) California.  (The french toast was the best I've ever had.
I think they added some nutmeg and vanilla to the egg batter and
sprinkled the toast with sunflower seeds.  But that's another story...)
Anyway, I was incredulous to overhear the waitress explaining to the
folks a couple of tables away what a bagel is.

At least here in the Bay Area folks think they know what a bagel
is.  (They aren't quite the same as what you get in the northeast!)

--
Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{idi|intelca|icalqa|imcgpe|kremvax|qubix|ucscc}!t4test!{chip|news}

trb@masscomp.UUCP (08/21/84)

t4test!chip:
> At least here in the Bay Area folks think they know what a bagel
> is.  (They aren't quite the same as what you get in the northeast!)

Indeed they aren't.  Matter of fact, bagels in the northeast aren't
real bagels either.  Real bagels get hard as a rock if you let them
sit around for about a day.  You have to eat 'em while they're hot.
You can use day-old real bagels as teething rings or doorstops or
weapons.

You can usually get real bagels at real bagel stores where people who
eat real bagels live.  Not in California.  You can't even get rye
bread in California.  If there were any grandmas in California, they
would probably put miso chutney and sprouts in the chicken soup.  Feh.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

You can't get real bagels in Westford.  Don't even ASK about Chinese food.

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (08/22/84)

Well, maybe we can't get REAL bagels here in CA, but there is a
little shop in Walnut Creek called 'The Bagel King' run by transplanted
New Yorkers that turns out something the CALL bagels, and I like 'em
just fine.  There is a large glass window into the back where you can see the
large, uh, vats they boil 'em in, and the HUGE ovens they bake 'em in.  Sure
enough, the product is rock-hard the day after unless extraordinary measures
are taken.

I have never eaten bagels in the north-east, so I cannot compare them.

The miso-chutney "bagels" are great. :-)
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (08/23/84)

Following are my bagel recipes (one for plain, one for whole
wheat, one for pumpernickel).  There's lots of detail, assuming
the reader has never baked bread before.

Plain Bagels (Makes 8, can be doubled):

2 1/2 tsp (1 pkg) active dry YEAST
1 cup warm (105-115F) WATER
2 Tbsp SUGAR
1 1/2 tsp SALT
2 3/4 cups white FLOUR
2 qt WATER

   Dissolve YEAST in 1 cup warm WATER.  Stir in SUGAR, SALT, and
1 1/4 cups FLOUT; beat (with spoon, fork, etc.) until smooth.
Stir in most of the remaining FLOUR.  Knead dough, adding enough
FLOUR to make it easy to handle.  Knead until smooth, about 10
minutes.  Place in bowl; cover; let rise in a warm place until
double, about 15 minutes.  Punch down; divide dough into eighths.
 Roll each eighth into a rope about 6 inches long; moisten ends
with water and pinch to form a bagel.  Place on a greased plate;
do not let them touch each other, or they will stick together.
Let rise about 20 minutes.

   Heat oven to 375F.  Boil 2 quarts of WATER; reduce heat to
low.  Boil 4 bagels at a time for 7 minutes, turning once.  Bake
on a greased baking sheet until golden brown and hollow sounding
when tapped, about 30-35 minutes.

   For WHOLE WHEAT BAGELS: Follow directions for plain bagels,
above, but substitute 1 1/2 cups WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR and 1 1/4 cups
WHITE FLOUR for the 2 3/4 cups white flour.

   For Dark Pumpernickel Bagels:

5 tsp (2 pkg) active dry YEAST
1 cup warm (105-115F) WATER
1/4 cup dark MOLASSES
1 Tbsp SALT
1 Tbsp CARAWAY SEEDS
1/8 cup COCOA
2 cups RYE FLOUR
1 cup WHITE FLOUR

   Follow directions for PLAIN BAGELS, above, but punch down and
let rise until double one extra time before shaping.  Rising
times will be about 50% longer because rye flour is so heavy.
--
Alan M. Marcum		Fortune Systems, Redwood City, California
...!{ihnp4, ucbvax!amd, hpda, sri-unix, harpo}!fortune!rhino!marcum

larrym@tekchips.UUCP (Larry Morandi) (08/23/84)

The best bagel recipe I have ever found (out of at least a half dozen,
including some friends family recipes) is the one published in the
cookbook "Better Than Store Bought".  I lost my copy by loaning it out,
so I can't tell you who publishes or wrote it, but it is a fairly common
book.

Bagels take a bit of work, what with boiling and then baking, but sure are
worth it.  A semi-reasonable California variation appears in the "Tassajara
Bread Book", also commonly available, at least here on the west coast.
Not really bagels, but at least they are boiled so that the crust is right.

I believe strongly in copyright laws, so I will not post the recipe.  It's
worth buying the book for.  (Also recipes for everything from "Fritos" to
"Twinkees", but without the preservatives.)

				    Larry Morandi

uucp:	    {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4,allegra,uw-beaver,hplabs}!tektronix!larrym
CSnet:	    larrym@tek
ARPAnet:    larrym.tek@csnet-relay
US Mail:    Larry Morandi, Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
	    Box 500  MS 50-662, Beaverton OR 97077

jab@uokvax.UUCP (09/01/84)

#R:t4test:-103900:uokvax:7200021:000:378
uokvax!jab    Sep  1 11:38:00 1984

I just saw an article asking "does anyone have bagel recipes". Two
people wrote back to say "no, but lemme tell you a story about this
nice little bagel shop..."

The question stands. Does anyone know an EASY recipe to make bagels?
(I can buy the cream cheese at the store, but want to see how tough
(err, I mean "difficult") it is to make the bagels.)

	Jeff Bowles
	Lisle, IL