[comp.graphics] Polygen triangulation

cen466p@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (10/17/89)

> From : brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister)

>I have a little problem...... :-)

>Given a sequence of vertices that represent the points on a polygon. I need to
>(somehow) reduce this into two (or more) smaller polygons that have a (new)
>common edge.   ...

               <<Body deleted >>

> ... Can anyone suggest where I should look for
>ideas on how to reduce complex polygons to simpler ones? Thanks.

      I think this can be achieved by Delaunay tessellation. For two variables
(in this case, the x and y coordinate values), this becomes triangulation of the
surface.  A property of this triangulation is that no coordinate lies within
the circumcircle of any triangle.

A Fortran and a BASIC program have been presented for the contouring of
raw data by D.F. Watson (1,2). With little effort the triangulation part of the
program can be retrieved.

Probably this is what you were looking for.

1.  Computers and Geosciences, vol 8, No 1, pp:97-101, 1982.

2.  Practical Computing, pp:104-107, August, 1983.

    "Absence of Evidence does not necessarily mean Evidence of Absence"

UUCP:   ... murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au!bruce!monu1!vaxc!partha
CSNET:  partha@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (or)
        cen466p@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au