[comp.graphics] Put the system name in subject line

mlm@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Michael L. Mauldin) (10/19/89)

I would like to propose that notices and requests on comp.graphics that
are specific to one type of hardware or OS be labelled as such in the
subject line.

It seems that as much as 1/3 of the traffic on comp.graphics is IBM-PC
specific, and I (at least) would rather ignore it.  I'm sure that other
people would benefit from similar labelling of other types of requests.

This kind of labelling is being done with virus-l Digest to good effect.
I propose the following as a starting point for a reasonable list of
labels:

	  (ibm)	Request related to IBM PC and compatibles, VGA screens,
		screen saving programs, graphics cards, etc.
	(amiga)	Same for Amiga requests, HAM mode, etc.
	  (mac)	Sam for Mac specific requests, HQX, PICT, and Macpaint
		related questions.
      no label	Posts of interest to the entire community, regardless
		of hardware.

I'm sure the community can propose other labels.  I am not suggesting
that machine specific queries be moved to their respective comp.sys.XXX
newsgroups, because they are all overloaded.  And some machine specific
questions are solved by answering "I have C code that does that; do you
wish to port it to your machine?"

--
Michael L. Mauldin (Fuzzy)		School of Computer Science
ARPA: Michael.Mauldin@NL.CS.CMU.EDU	Carnegie Mellon University

madhu@hubcap.clemson.edu (mad hu?) (10/20/89)

In article <6581@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, mlm@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Michael L. Mauldin) writes:

> I would like to propose that notices and requests on comp.graphics that
> are specific to one type of hardware or OS be labelled as such in the
> subject line.
Good Idea.

> It seems that as much as 1/3 of the traffic on comp.graphics is IBM-PC
> specific, and I (at least) would rather ignore it.
Impeccable taste! :-)

While, we are at it....Was there any consensus on what to do for the
"Need info. on spoogum, foobar, junk format" requests ?

	madhu

tlegelst@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Thomas Lynn Egelston Ii) (10/22/89)

	I agree whoeheartedly with the proposal.  However, I feel that each
topic should be contained in a seperate newsgroup, i.e. comp.graphics.ibm,
comp.graphics.mac, etc.  This seems to be the easiest way to access this
information (from a user's standpoint.)

--
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are obviously mine, since Universities
                  aren't *allowed* to have opinions.

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (10/23/89)

In article <1989Oct21.184141.6061@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> tlegelst@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Thomas Lynn Egelston Ii) writes:
>	I agree whoeheartedly with the proposal.  However, I feel that each
>topic should be contained in a seperate newsgroup, i.e. comp.graphics.ibm,
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>          Tom Egelston, Cate Center Box 4911, Norman, OK 73026
>Internet: tlegelst@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu       UUCP: tlegelst@uokmax.UUCP

While I do agree with the original idea. (I can get sick of wading through
endless TIFF requests.) I do NOT think that separate newsgroups would be a
good idea.  Part of the idea of having one comp.graphics is everyone
interested in the field can hear about a wide range of different machines
and ideas, from lowly PCs to super fast (and expensive) IRIS and PIXAR
beasties.  The current machine specific groups are better suited to handling
machine specific questions, even if those groups are loaded to the gills
already.  Anyway, 'nuff said.

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"