[comp.graphics] A qustion of Netiquette

rbq@iforgetmyname.LBP.HARRIS.COM (Robert Quattlebaum) (10/25/89)

A few weeks ago someone posted uuencoded GIF pictures in this newsgroup. I
was pleasantly surprised. My question is this: Is it OK to post GIF files
to this newsgroup.

I, personally, would like to see more of these files posted. I have a few
that I could post myself. I wouldn't, however, want to violate the will of
the group.

If there is no definite established answer to this question, could a vote
be taken on it?

Thanks for any info

R. Quattlebaum			My employer doesn't CARE what I think.
"God is love, not religion"     So what does it matter what I say?

		gatech!galbp!iforgetmyname.LBP.HARRIS.COM!rbq

kew@uucs1.UUCP (kew) (10/27/89)

violate any rules.  The ones I have seen posted so far were small enough
(<50k) to be sent in one posting.  If we are taking a vote, I vote YES.
What about larger multi-part GIFS?  Again I vote YES.  As for subject matter,
I would like to see more Ray Traced images as well as Space Photos (NASA?)

I would like to see the subject line reflect the fact that the article
contains a GIF, so that interested parties don't miss them, and others
can avoid them.
--
Kenneth E. Wharton             |        ** But it's a dry heat! **
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az        |

kew@uucs1.UUCP (kew) (10/27/89)

The first line of my article was missing.  What I said was that I also
enjoyed the GIFS and would like to see more of them, if it did not violate
any rules.  Thanks.
--

baldwin@usna.MIL (LT Justin D. Baldwin <baldwin@usna>) (10/28/89)

In article <201@uucs1.UUCP> kew@uucs1.UUCP (Ken Wharton) writes:
>If we are taking a vote [on posting gif images], I vote YES.
>What about larger multi-part GIFS?  Again I vote YES.  As for subject matter,
>I would like to see more Ray Traced images as well as Space Photos (NASA?)

Are we drawing near to a CALL FOR DISCUSSION:  comp.graphics.gif.images?
--
From the catapult of:               |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

paul@manray.sgi.com (Paul Haeberli) (10/28/89)

I would love to see more images posted to comp.graphics.  I posted a
few that were about 50k bytes a few weeks ago and I received many
encouraging replies.  I think sending a few images on this news group
shouldn't be a problem if a few people send a few images each week.
The important thing to consider before posting is will this image be
interesting to a wide range of people?   I generally don't find much
of the discussion about how to convert from RGB to B/W, calculating
the area of polygons etc. to be of much value to me, so any
distraction is appreciated.

Does anyone know what the largest message is that will be
handled reliably?

paul haeberli
415-962-3665
paul@sgi.som

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (10/29/89)

I would appear to be in the minority, but I do not care to have pictures
sent to this group. It seems that there are two distinct personalities
merged here: those who discuss the various methods and machines useful
in the generation of computer graphics, and those who seem to wish
nothing more than a forum for the interchange of this-to-that converters
and the images to use with them.

I prefer articles of the first sort, although I in no way wish to demean
those whose preference is the second. Both could possibly lay claim to
the title 'comp.graphics'. I currently have about a dozen groups from
which I derive useful information at least once a week, and anything
which would potentially reduce the number of messages across my screen
in which I have little interest, interests me.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

Time for rec.graphics, perhaps?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) (10/30/89)

Not a question of Netiquette really...

I have seen posting of .GIF files here, but have no idea how to capture
them and display them on my system (I have viewing software)

Another thing... I keep hearing people mention FTP sites. Can anyone
tell me if there are any in the Toronto area?

thanks
Alan Kennedy
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

pcolmer@acorn.co.uk (Philip Colmer) (10/30/89)

In article <43698@sgi.sgi.com> paul@manray.sgi.com (Paul Haeberli) writes:
>I would love to see more images posted to comp.graphics.

 Hear, hear!

>Does anyone know what the largest message is that will be
>handled reliably?

 100K seems to be the common limit imposed by most mail systems. Of course,
as you have to uuencode the image first, you can always split the uuencoded
files up :-)

Regards,

Philip Colmer
Acorn Computers Ltd

PS. I thought the Silicon Graphics images were pretty good, but I'd have
    preferred the original 24-bit per pixel files.