[comp.graphics] VGA 360x480x256 color mode on standard VGA

Hoke@cup.portal.com (Hoke S Johnson) (10/27/89)

Alan,

By directly programming the registers of the VGA card it is possible
to setup a 360x480x256 color mode on the plain VGA card.  I found out
about this from an article in the Sept/Oct 1989 Programmer's Journal
magazine Volume 7.5 .  The aspect ratio is strange, the pixels are
almost twice as wide as they are high.  It is also possible to get
a 320x400x256 color mode on the plain VGA card also.  To write to the
screen in these modes you have to write your own driver since the
VGA bios doesn't support these modes.  If there is interest, I could
post a turbo pascal routine which sets the 360x480x256 mode and show an
example of how to write a scan line of pixels.

Hoke Johnson
hoke@cup.portal.com

TEITTINEN@cc.helsinki.fi (Marko) (10/30/89)

In article <23414@cup.portal.com>, Hoke@cup.portal.com (Hoke S Johnson) writes:

> By directly programming the registers of the VGA card it is possible
> to setup a 360x480x256 color mode on the plain VGA card.
[some text deleted]
> If there is interest, I could
> post a turbo pascal routine which sets the 360x480x256 mode and show an
> example of how to write a scan line of pixels.

Please, post this routine. I'm interested and I'm sure there are others
that are interested too.

--
E-Mail: teittinen@finuh.bitnet               ! "Studying is the only way
        teittinen@cc.helsinki.fi             !  to do nothing without