[comp.graphics] Images Group

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (11/09/89)

Some people expressed concern over a new images newsgroup taking up too
much disk space.  It needn't take any more/less space than other news
groups if it is run as a stack with earlier files dropping out as new ones
are added.  If there are requests for a repeat of a popular/useful image,
it could be reposted as a new submission.  I do understand that images
tend to be large files and might intrude in terms of transfer time.  Any
suggestions/solutions for that concern?           J. Petersen

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/10/89)

In article <2728@uceng.UC.EDU> mfinegan@uceng.UC.EDU (michael k finegan) writes:
>A group for image disbursement should really be a group that documents where
>images can be ftp'ed from. If you don't have ftp, then arrangements should be
>made for individual uucp (or whatever) connections to some hybrid site. E-mail
>uses a lot of disk space, and images will make the matter worse!

Show me *ONE* site that provides uucp access to images. One of the
main reasons for proposing the images group was that it would allow
sites without an Internet connection to access things like the
Voyager images. I've sent numerous queries to people about getting
these images via uucp. No way. I ended up getting them through email
from someone at an Internet connected site.
--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
  {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                  The Connector is the Notwork.