[net.cooks] sauce from peppers?

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (09/17/84)

My understanding of the process of making Tabasco is that it
requires the fermentation of the little peppers (similar to
Cayenne) in vinegar, in casks of oak(?) for a long time --
on the order of years.  So it  may not be practical to try making
a Tabasco-like sauce.

However, one version of sauce that we always liked in Colorado
was simply to soak peppers in vinegar, and use the vinegar.  We
always used small peppers, but I'm sure that Jalepen~os (OK, is there
a better way to represent tilde-n on this thing?) would work.

They taste pretty good pickled as well...

Charlie Martin

patk@mhuxa.UUCP (korley) (09/20/84)

Subject: Re: Re: sauce from peppers?
Newsgroups: net.cooks,net.garden

> My understanding of the process of making Tabasco is that it
> requires the fermentation of the little peppers (similar to
> Cayenne) in vinegar, in casks of oak(?) for a long time --
> on the order of years.  So it  may not be practical to try making
> a Tabasco-like sauce.
>
> However, one version of sauce that we always liked in Colorado
> was simply to soak peppers in vinegar, and use the vinegar.  We
> always used small peppers, but I'm sure that Jalepen~os (OK, is there
> a better way to represent tilde-n on this thing?) would work.
>
> They taste pretty good pickled as well...
>
> Charlie Martin

root@iuvax.UUCP (09/21/84)

Hmmm, Gonna make some  *Radio Active*  chili, Dick? :-)

				   steve mosier

			CSNet:	mosier@Indiana
			 ARPA:	mosier.Indiana@CSnet-Relay
			 UUCP:	...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!mosie

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (09/27/84)

> Hmmm, Gonna make some  *Radio Active*  chili, Dick? :-)

Probably so, whether I like it or not, living < 10 miles from Rocky Flats!
(Yeah, they only make bomb TRIGGERS there...but do you know how a trigger
for an H-bomb works?)  At least the peppers don't glow in the dark (very
much:-)
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Cerebus for dictator!